"Why are you a re-enactor?"

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      I was asked an interesting question over the weekend

      "Why are you a Re- enactor?

      I talked this question over with a few friends in the hobby
      and we all agreed that after the buffoonery, jokes and BS
      the truth would come out ...........

      What is your answer to this question?

      "Why are you a re-enactor?"
    • PEGGY MATHEWS
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        Assuming this is going no further, then in the order they popped into my
        head: (if this has any other purpose than curiosity please let me know
        first)

        1. The smell of gunpowder and the sound of explosions.
        2. "Testing myself" i.e. can I do without [fill in the blank] for a weekend?
        3. Keeping the memories alive, respecting those who went before us.
        4. History addict, so this is live action role-playing.
        5. Social exchange and fellowship, though this seems to be limited to
        whatever side you are on. As a generalization people take the nationalities
        WAY too serious after hours.
        6. Something to share with my wife. Yes, she loves it and share the
        passion. The fact that her degree in textile design and my history interest
        dovetail together is a bonus.
        7. Educate the damn fools out there. As a teacher I'm taught to say there
        is no such thing as a stupid question. Sorry, whoever wrote than never met
        a "touron" (tourist/moron cross) at an event. It just staggers me how
        ignorant the average American can be. And embarrasses me was well.
        8. Fantasy fulfillment, though this ties into number four.
        9. Having an excuse to go to neat places and see the land.

        They've stopped popping, so there ya go. One shy of a David Letterman Top
        Ten List.

        Cheers,
        Michael

        > I was asked an interesting question over the weekend
        >
        > "Why are you a Re- enactor?
        >
        > I talked this question over with a few friends in the hobby
        > and we all agreed that after the buffoonery, jokes and BS
        > the truth would come out ...........
        >

        > What is your answer to this question?
        >

        > "Why are you a re-enactor?"
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003
          Because I have no friends

          P**
          I was asked an interesting question over the weekend

          "Why are you a Re- enactor?

          I talked this question over with a few friends in the hobby
          and we all agreed that after the buffoonery, jokes and BS
          the truth would come out ...........

          What is your answer to this question?

          "Why are you a re-enactor?"

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          square miles...

        • Des Miller
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003
            Hi,

            Well I guess why I am becoming a re-enactor is pretty
            simple... I LOVE history, I know far to many people
            who believe that history is something boring and
            stuffy, something that would be best served as
            vignettes between periods of the playoffs.

            *insert patriotic music here*
            I believe that the only way to understand what our
            forefathers went through is to try in some small way
            to re-create aspects of it. Perhaps because I am
            still new to the hobby the light is still in my eyes,
            but if I can educate just one visitor at an event that
            North America is the way it is today because of the
            people whose lives we briefly dust off once a month or
            so and showcase, then I am happy.

            *end music*

            Just my opinion though.

            Des.
            21st U.S. Infantry

            =====
            Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

            http://search.yahoo.com