Battle of Stoney Creek

  • Tracy Forsyth
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2 6:11 PM
      This is information of what is happening at the Stoney Creek weekend.

      take care Tracy

      Not sent with attachments

    • Rick Peterson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9 6:14 AM
        Greetings all.
        As one of the planners for the event, I would like to thank all those
        who came and participated. I also appreciate all your input as to how
        we can make this event even better. I hope you all thoroughly enjoyed
        yourself.
        Many thanks to Rob Trumbull's group for all their help, in what
        turned out to be a rather busy weekend for them. Also to those who
        stepped up to the duty of filling out the American line (ie: IMUC,
        Royals, RNR House guard, and of course the Norfolks, just to mention
        a few).
        For those who didn't make it, we featured a "ransacking" of the
        Jackson/Nash house for the first time this year, and I endeavour to
        make it more of a crowd pleasing spectacle next year. We also had
        representation by our Native Allies at both opening ceremonies and
        Smith's Knoll memorial. Wolf Thomas' speeches were LONG overdue, and
        very moving.
        I was also very pleased with how many great comments I heard with
        respect to how great the Saturday evening battle.
        Finally, on a personal note, I would like to sincerely thank all
        those who were so helpful in making my marriage proposal something
        that my new fiancee and myself will ALWAYS remember vividly!

        YH&OSvt.

        Rick Peterson
        RNR Battlefield House Guard
      • Susan Spencer McLean
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9 6:28 AM
          Rick Peterson wrote:

          >Greetings all.
          >As one of the planners for the event, I would like to thank all those
          >who came and participated. I also appreciate all your input as to how
          >we can make this event even better. I hope you all thoroughly enjoyed
          >yourself.

          Let me second that -- we were so very pleased to see such a great
          turnout of re-enactors and spectators alike. Thanks so much to all of
          you for coming out and for taking part in all of the activities, from
          sacking to memorial services to battles and so forth and so on. It was
          wonderful to see you all. Your support of this event is very, very much
          appreciated.

          And congratulations to Rick on his engagement! May you have many, many
          happy years together.

          So . . . are we having a wedding at Stoney Creek next year? ;-)

          -- Sioux
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9 8:29 AM
            On behalf of the British Staff
            Crown Forces Upper Canada/North America

            I would like to thank all involved, for the hard work in organizing and
            presenting the Battle of Stoney Creek event. Thank you to all the Crown
            Forces Units who participated, from the spectator's
            view you were "Smart as Paint!" Also, a very heartfelt thank you to our
            formative opponents
            the Forces of the Republic of the United States, whether living in the USA
            or Canada without you, there can not be a Battle re-enactment.

            Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant

            Larry Lozon

            Aide-de-Camp to Deputy Adjutant General P. Twist,
            Officer Commanding ~ Crown Forces Upper Canada
            2I/C ~ Crown Forces North America

          • Rick Peterson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 8 7:48 AM
              On behalf of Battlefield House and the RNR House Guard,
              thank you to all who attended and worked so hard to make it a very
              enjoyable weekend. Even mother nature was in total cooperation, with
              a perfect balance of temperature and cloud cover. We also hailed the
              return of our Pub at the pavillion this year!
              The Stoney Creek flag day parade was a big success, as was our
              memorial at Confederation Park, honouring those from the Hamilton &
              Scourge.

              On a different note, a ladies gold broach was lost at the park
              sometime on Sunday. If anyone has seen it, please contact me asap.

              YH&OSvt.

              Rick Peterson
              RNR House Guard
            • Andy
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5 5:15 PM
                On behalf of the 22nd U.S. Infantry, Henderson's Company, I wish to
                thank the organizers and everyone that made our first appearance at
                this event memorable. Special thanks to Rob Trumbull, Betsy Bashore and
                John Harris for their help and support. It was great to finally meet
                them and serve under their command.

                Not to forget our friends in red, we really appreciated the
                Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada (IMUC) for bringing liquid
                refreshments to our camp and toasting our new National Colors.

                And now we look forward to next year's event.

                Andy Desjardins, CO
              • Tom Ross
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 30, 2009
                  A song written about the Battle of Stoney Creek, written by Woody
                  Lambe and performed by the Lowlanders.

                  1960 (?)
                  "The Stoney Creek Song"
                  Written by: Woody Lamb
                  Performed by: The Lowlanders

                  'Twas in 1813 the Yankees come
                  Acting out orders from Washington
                  Crossed the Niagara, quite a feat
                  When they marched on the town of Stoney Creek

                  Now little Billy Green was getting into bed
                  When out of his window he poked his head
                  Saw those Yankees marching down the street
                  Said, "Mom there's some Yankees in Stoney Creek!"

                  Now his mom said, "Billy boy, you better run.
                  Hightail straight down to Hamilton
                  Colonel Harvey is the man to ask,
                  Tell him that he better get down here fast!"

                  And if he asks why you look so weak,
                  Tell him that the Yankees are in Stoney Creek.

                  So Bill took off and he ran all the way
                  Hopped the Canadians at Hamilton Bay
                  Reached their lines all weary and pale
                  Then he found Colonel Harvey and he told him his tale

                  Now Harvey turned around and he said to his men
                  "Boys, looks like we're going to have to fight again.
                  If we leave now we'll catch them by surprise,
                  And they'll never get a glance of the whites of our eyes."

                  So they packed up their gear and they marched through the night
                  And jumped those Yankees about midnight
                  They were enjoying a final snore
                  But they woke up fast to the firelocks roar
                  As they reached for the guns they were heard to speak
                  "How the hell did the British get to Stoney Creek?"

                  Now they fired a few shots then turned around and ran
                  And they headed right back to their native land
                  The redcoat boys were having a ball
                  And they chased them all the way to Niagara Falls

                  Now the Yanks have fought in some famous wars
                  On many a battlefield of blood and gore
                  And I don't think their forces have looked so weak
                  As the day they got chased out of Stoney Creek.

                  And if you don't believe where of I speak,
                  Go down and see the monument in Stoney Creek. (x2)

                  Woody Lamb
                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
                    Here it is in audio

                    http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm.php?id=record_detail&fl=0&lg=English&ex=00000
                    093&rd=70564

                    _____

                    From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                    Of Tom Ross

                    A song written about the Battle of Stoney Creek, written by Woody
                    Lambe and performed by the Lowlanders.

                  • JOHN GREIG
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
                      Sorry Kevin,,,,,,,,,it don't work !!!
                      Squire

                      ________________________________
                      A song written about the Battle of Stoney Creek, written by Woody
                      Lambe and performed by the Lowlanders.

                    • James Yaworsky
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
                        John:

                        The link works - but yahoo for some reason "cuts it up" a bit, so you
                        can't just click on it because the entire link isn't "live".

                        Try copying the entire link (both lines) and pasting it in to your
                        browser.

                        If anybody copies the link from subsequent messages to Kevin's
                        original, you will undoubtedly as well have to delete the ">" put in
                        by the reply function, between the two (or three) lines. As I post
                        this message, the link in it below appears on my screen as on three
                        lines, with one ">" on line three. This isn't necessarily the spacing
                        that others will see on their specific screen.

                        Jim Yaworsky

                      • Kathryn.Schwenger41@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
                          Pasting it into my browser works. Thanks Kevin and Jim.

                          I'll miss Woody as well - I got to know him when he asked me to be a 'lady's
                          companion' for "Mrs. Simcoe" at the event in London. I still have the
                          brochure with my picture on the cover following behind Woody and Mrs. Simcoe
                          (don't recall her name). He was a legend in the hobby.

                          Kathryn

                          The link works - but yahoo for some reason "cuts it up" a bit, so you
                          can't just click on it because the entire link isn't "live".

                          Try copying the entire link (both lines) and pasting it in to your
                          browser.

                          If anybody copies the link from subsequent messages to Kevin's
                          original, you will undoubtedly as well have to delete the ">" put in
                          by the reply function, between the two (or three) lines. As I post
                          this message, the link in it below appears on my screen as on three
                          lines, with one ">" on line three. This isn't necessarily the spacing
                          that others will see on their specific screen.

                          Jim Yaworsky

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, JOHN GREIG <je.greig@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry Kevin,,,,,,,,,it don't work !!!
                          > Squire
                          >

                          > Here it is in audio
                          >
                          > http://www.virtualm useum.ca/ pm.php?id= record_detail&fl=0&lg=English&
                          ex=00000> 093&rd=70564

                        • Craig Williams
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 14, 2016

                            Good day to all forces of the 1812 War..

                            The registration for the Stoney Creek reenactment weekend [June 4-5] is online now.
                            This event is , as always, by " Individual Registration". Please register ASAP to assist in planning/logistics .
                            There is a box to take you to registration on this page with easily followed directions.

                            The deadline for registration is May 27th 2016

                            This is the 35th anniversary of the continuous running of the event!

                            Craig