Re: [WarOf1812] Lithuanian burial of Grand Armee dead

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
      Thanks Doc:
      The whole story reminds me of Mark Knopfler's song "Done with
      Bonaparte".
      Ray

      On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:07 AM, Docwaterloo wrote:

      > hi ray,
      > there was a documentary about this earlier in the year here in the
      > U.K. and some of the artefacts found were stunning and nearly complete
      > including almost a complete shako from a French light company officer.
      > I cannot remember the name or the channel sorry.
      > take care
      > Doc
      > Surgeon to the 1st batt 95th rifles {U.K.}

      <image.tiff>

      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        It was a BBC programme in the series "Meet the Ancestors" and the film was
        "Napoleon's Lost Army" and was shown on 3rd Feb 2003. The graves were in a
        barracks in Vilnius and amongst the finds was a particular shako plate from
        the 21eme. One of the other interesting pieces of information which could
        have a profound effect on the authenticity discussions was the fact that
        over 80% of the soldiers remains that were uncovered showed that they had
        sufferred from VD. Okay, in future all recruits will be required to have the
        appropriate certificate from their doctors, and it is not an excuse to be
        portraying British or US troops since I imagine that the factor was
        universal :-)

        Go to www.bbc.co.uk enter Napoleon's Lost Army in their search facility for
        a series of articles on the topic. There are 16 listed, not all totally
        relevant!

        P**
        The whole story reminds me of Mark Knopfler's song "Done with
        Bonaparte".
        Ray

        On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:07 AM, Docwaterloo wrote:

        > hi ray,
        > there was a documentary about this earlier in the year here in the
        > U.K. and some of the artefacts found were stunning and nearly complete
        > including almost a complete shako from a French light company officer.
        > I cannot remember the name or the channel sorry.
        > take care
        > Doc
        > Surgeon to the 1st batt 95th rifles {U.K.}

        <image.tiff>

        > THOUSANDS of square miles...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        square miles...