Lithuanian burial of Grand Armee dead

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 7:19 PM
      List:
      Check this news item -
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4681529,00.html
      It is a report of the final burial of the over 2000 remains of
      Napoleon's army who reached Vilnius, Lithuania on their return from
      Moscow, only to die there of cold and exposure.

      Ray Hobbs, Sgt
      CO 41st Regiment of Foot
      HQ Hamilton, Ontario

      The Canadas 1799-1815

      http://fortyfirst.tripod.com/
    • Docwaterloo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 3:07 AM
        hi ray,
        there was a documentary about this earlier in the year here in the U.K. and some of the artefacts found were stunning and nearly complete including almost a complete shako from a French light company officer. I cannot remember the name or the channel sorry.
        take care
        Doc
        Surgeon to the 1st batt 95th rifles {U.K.}

      • Ray Hobbs
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 5:35 AM
          Thanks Doc:
          The whole story reminds me of Mark Knopfler's song "Done with
          Bonaparte".
          Ray

          On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:07 AM, Docwaterloo wrote:

          > hi ray,
          > there was a documentary about this earlier in the year here in the
          > U.K. and some of the artefacts found were stunning and nearly complete
          > including almost a complete shako from a French light company officer.
          > I cannot remember the name or the channel sorry.
          > take care
          > Doc
          > Surgeon to the 1st batt 95th rifles {U.K.}

          <image.tiff>

          > THOUSANDS of square miles...

        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3 9:44 AM
            It was a BBC programme in the series "Meet the Ancestors" and the film was
            "Napoleon's Lost Army" and was shown on 3rd Feb 2003. The graves were in a
            barracks in Vilnius and amongst the finds was a particular shako plate from
            the 21eme. One of the other interesting pieces of information which could
            have a profound effect on the authenticity discussions was the fact that
            over 80% of the soldiers remains that were uncovered showed that they had
            sufferred from VD. Okay, in future all recruits will be required to have the
            appropriate certificate from their doctors, and it is not an excuse to be
            portraying British or US troops since I imagine that the factor was
            universal :-)

            Go to www.bbc.co.uk enter Napoleon's Lost Army in their search facility for
            a series of articles on the topic. There are 16 listed, not all totally
            relevant!

            P**
            The whole story reminds me of Mark Knopfler's song "Done with
            Bonaparte".
            Ray

            On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 06:07 AM, Docwaterloo wrote:

            > hi ray,
            > there was a documentary about this earlier in the year here in the
            > U.K. and some of the artefacts found were stunning and nearly complete
            > including almost a complete shako from a French light company officer.
            > I cannot remember the name or the channel sorry.
            > take care
            > Doc
            > Surgeon to the 1st batt 95th rifles {U.K.}

            <image.tiff>

            > THOUSANDS of square miles...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            square miles...