Re: [WarOf1812] Today in History

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      On June 1st 1813, Maj. General John Vincent and the advance parties of
      troops arrived and set up a new Headquarters at Burlington Heights,
      Barton, UC after their defeat and withdrawal at Niagara/Fort George.
      They expropriated Richard Beasley's house and property. Careful
      preparations were made to accommodate the rest of the force, numbering
      over 1600, and to plan a counter-attack. An initial earthen defence
      wall was already begun by the evening of June 1st. Part of it is still
      visible on the site of Dundurn Park.
      Already by June 3rd Harvey had sent out correspondence to local leaders
      to elicit their help in planning the attack on the advancing US force
      under Winder and Chandler.
      A few days later the Battle of Stoney Creek took place.
      The 190th anniversary of that battle will be celebrated on the coming
      week-end on the site. Hope to see many of you there.

      Yr H & O S
      Ray Hobbs, Sgt
      CO 41st Regiment of Foot
      HQ Hamilton, Ontario

      The Canadas 1799-1815

      http://fortyfirst.tripod.com/

      On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 07:27 AM, john harris wrote:

      > I got this from a Royal Navy list  that I'm on.
      >
      > Regards
      > John Harris
      >
      > Glorious 1st June 1794 RN defeats French Fleet
      > > Sunday June 1, 2003
      > > Notes:
      > > British Royal Navy defeats French Fleet
      >

      > > 1st June 1813 HMS Shannon Captures USS Chesapeake
      > > Sunday June 1, 2003
      > > Event Location: Off Cape Ann Boston
      > >
      > > Notes:
      > > Frigate HMS Shannon 38 guns Capt. Broke RN Captures the US Frigate
      > USS
      > Chesapeake off Boston

      <image.tiff>