Today in History

  • john harris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      I got this from a Royal Navy list that I'm on.

      Regards
      John Harris

      Glorious 1st June 1794 RN defeats French Fleet
      > Sunday June 1, 2003
      > Notes:
      > British Royal Navy defeats French Fleet

      > 1st June 1813 HMS Shannon Captures USS Chesapeake
      > Sunday June 1, 2003
      > Event Location: Off Cape Ann Boston
      >
      > Notes:
      > Frigate HMS Shannon 38 guns Capt. Broke RN Captures the US Frigate USS
      Chesapeake off Boston
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        On June 1st 1813, Maj. General John Vincent and the advance parties of
        troops arrived and set up a new Headquarters at Burlington Heights,
        Barton, UC after their defeat and withdrawal at Niagara/Fort George.
        They expropriated Richard Beasley's house and property. Careful
        preparations were made to accommodate the rest of the force, numbering
        over 1600, and to plan a counter-attack. An initial earthen defence
        wall was already begun by the evening of June 1st. Part of it is still
        visible on the site of Dundurn Park.
        Already by June 3rd Harvey had sent out correspondence to local leaders
        to elicit their help in planning the attack on the advancing US force
        under Winder and Chandler.
        A few days later the Battle of Stoney Creek took place.
        The 190th anniversary of that battle will be celebrated on the coming
        week-end on the site. Hope to see many of you there.

        Yr H & O S
        Ray Hobbs, Sgt
        CO 41st Regiment of Foot
        HQ Hamilton, Ontario

        The Canadas 1799-1815

        http://fortyfirst.tripod.com/

        On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 07:27 AM, john harris wrote:

        > I got this from a Royal Navy list  that I'm on.
        >
        > Regards
        > John Harris
        >
        > Glorious 1st June 1794 RN defeats French Fleet
        > > Sunday June 1, 2003
        > > Notes:
        > > British Royal Navy defeats French Fleet
        >

        > > 1st June 1813 HMS Shannon Captures USS Chesapeake
        > > Sunday June 1, 2003
        > > Event Location: Off Cape Ann Boston
        > >
        > > Notes:
        > > Frigate HMS Shannon 38 guns Capt. Broke RN Captures the US Frigate
        > USS
        > Chesapeake off Boston

        <image.tiff>