Re: [WarOf1812] Park/Nafziger Reliability

  • HQ93rd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2003
      In a message dated 27/05/2003 9:12:37 AM, lalozon@... writes:
      > From: "James Yaworsky" <jyaworsky@...>
      >
      > I believe the Park/Nafziger book contains a lot of minor errors.
      > It should be used with caution....

      > Thank you Jim
      > as all books should and only original documentaion to be
      > taken "ALMOST" at face value ........
      > Example
      > Horse Guards G. O. 1,  July (18)11
      > " All General Officers are to wear one aiguilette on the right
      > shoulder instead of epaulettes .... "
      > General Sir Isaac Brock  at Queenston Heights is shot and killed
      > ..... his coat is in the Canadian War Museum ....with two epaulettes!!!!

      Oh yes and dear me. Should I bother meself to get up and dig out my copy of
      Nazfiger? Nawwww...
      Anyway, I do recall my own huffing and puffing on the "reliability" of this
      so-called work when I saw it listing the 93rd as having been "de-kilted" and
      decommissioned as "Highland" sometime in the early 1800s. All of which is
      balderdash and easily proven otherwise. (What happened - long story short-- Horse
      Guards got its orders it was sending out wrong, and in the insuing confusion
      one of those orders listed the 93rd as being de-kilted when another regiment
      was supposed to be the actual recipient of said orders -- so the
      De-Highlanidizing of the 93rd which did not happen, never happened, but Nazfiger happened
      upon the erroneous document and, without further checking, went by said erroneous
      document.
      In other words -- it's all a bunch of poo. Needless to say, I don't bother
      digging out Nazfiger for reference, as it's information is all highly suspect,
      IMHO.

      93rd SHRoFLHU
      THE Thin Red Line
      www.93rdhighlanders.com