Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Ft. George

Expand Messages
  • john harris
    ... a registration pack? ... website nor have we received anything in the mail. That was the point I was trying to make . Is there any info regarding
    Message 1 of 12 , May 27, 2003
      > Message: 4
      > Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:10:26 -0400
      > From: "john harris" <jharris@...>
      > Subject: Re: Registration
      >
      > July 19-20 Fort George, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario - Has anyone recieved
      a registration pack?
      > John Harris


      > Message: 5
      > Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:22:36 -0400
      > From: Ed Seufert <LCpl_RM@...>
      > Subject: Re: yellow survey sheets
      >
      > Ummmm................
      >
      > How does one register for Ft George? I did not see anything at their
      website nor have we received anything in the mail.

      That was the point I was trying to make . Is there any info regarding
      registration for Ft. George? Is it a go? Is it just a nasty rumour? Is there
      a mailing that I missed? Can we register on-line for the event? Any info
      would be very much appreciated considering it's only 7 week's until the
      "event" !! Some people have to make arrangements with their employer so we
      can play . Dave any comments ?
      Regards
      John Harris
      Toronto
    • john harris
      Okay, I asked last week and I m going to ask again . Does anyone have any info on the alleged event at Ft. George for this year? I know it s on the listing,
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2003
        Okay, I asked last week and I'm going to ask again . Does anyone have any info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for this year? I know it's on the listing, BUT , is there any hard copy out there ? Once again, did I miss something in the mail? Is this just a wish amongst us? Does anyone know anything at all?? Am I just being a A-hole about this? Please any info by anyone would be appreciated . It's getting to the point where some of us won't be able to make it because we have to book time of work .
        DAVE WEBB , ANY PARK'S CANADA STAFF MEMBER, ANYONE WITH ANY INFORMATION THAT IS NOT RUMOUR, THEORY, OR PRESUMPTION PLEASE MAKE AN "OFFICIAL" ANNOUNCEMENT SO THAT WE CAN PLAN FOR THIS !!!

        If I am persona-non-grata , then I thank you for your time. BUT , without any confirmed information, the US line will be VERY small ( worse than usual ) .
        Thank you for your time
        John Harris
        25th US Whiting's Company


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Larry Lozon
        From: john harris Does anyone have any info on the alleged event at Ft. George for this year? ... John found this at
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
          From: "john harris" <jharris@...>

          Does anyone have any info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for this
          year?

          --------------

          John

          found this at

          http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/ne/ne1_E.asp


          1812 Weekend July 19-20

          See hundreds of soldiers from the War of 1812 relive these dramatic times.
          Battle re-enactments, craft and camp life demonstrations, sutlers and
          artisans, children's activities, a Saturday night period tavern, and much
          more.

          also

          http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/visit/index_E.asp

          has contacts for

          How to reach us:

          Heritage Presentation Supervisors:

          etc.
        • John
          In case the Ft George event on 7/19-20 does not work for some folks, there is a new 1812 event that same weekend in Southern Ohio at Caesar s Creek Pioneer
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
            In case the Ft George event on 7/19-20 does not work for some folks,
            there is a new 1812 event that same weekend in Southern Ohio at
            Caesar's Creek Pioneer Village (about 20 miles SE of Dayton). This
            is a first time event - don't know if is to be repeated next year or
            if it is just a special Ohio 200th Anniversary event. Could use some
            Brits for targets if anyone is interested.

            John Wierzbicki
            Michigan Militia

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
            >
            > From: "john harris" <jharris@p...>
            >
            > Does anyone have any info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for
            this
            > year?
            >
            > --------------
            >
            > John
            >
            > found this at
            >
            > http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/ne/ne1_E.asp
            >
            >
            > 1812 Weekend July 19-20
            >
            > See hundreds of soldiers from the War of 1812 relive these dramatic
            times.
            > Battle re-enactments, craft and camp life demonstrations, sutlers
            and
            > artisans, children's activities, a Saturday night period tavern,
            and much
            > more.
            >
            > also
            >
            > http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/visit/index_E.asp
            >
            > has contacts for
            >
            > How to reach us:
            >
            > Heritage Presentation Supervisors:
            >
            > etc.
          • David Webb
            Hello John and list, This is just to assure everyone that the Fort George event is still a go, and information packages will be mailed this week. Ron Dale
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2003
              Hello John and list,
              This is just to assure everyone that the Fort George event is still a
              go, and information packages will be mailed this week. Ron Dale should
              have some at Stoney Creek this weekend. We are late with these and I
              apologize to all.
              This has been a very different and somewhat difficult year for us, and I
              am sure for many heritage institutions. Internally, we have been going
              through something scary and difficult called a "sustainable business plan,"
              and pretty much everything we do was on the table until fairly
              recently. We have had a real battle to keep our operating season, our
              staff, our programmes and our events. It is pretty tough when people are
              saying things like, "Wouldn't Fort George be better as a ruins experience?"
              and "We want to see you bleed too!" It has been especially tough on the
              staff who have worked so hard to deliver educational programmes, such as
              the our sleepover and day programmes. This has consumed a lot of energy
              and some of the decisions and comments have been taken pretty hard. We
              will have to review all of this again in the Fall.
              The good news is that our event is on, and we will be able to provide
              meals on Saturday and Sunday as in the past. Also, as in the past there
              will be no fee charged for sutlers, who are very welcome. Anyone who has
              ideas, suggestions, comments, should feel free to let me know what you
              would like to see changed. So far the suggestions include:
              --Raw food/rations in lieu of lunches/breakfast. How do people feel about this?
              --Tall grass vs short grass for battlefield. How about something in
              between? Locations of battles?
              --Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
              suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will need to
              map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
              --Access to our kitchen: This can and has been done in the past, but for
              safety and liability reasons I have to have a staff person there too.
              --Blacksmith Shop: Same as the kitchen.
              --This winter there was a discussion regarding more civilian/distaff
              activities and involvement at events. We have used the Officer's Quarters
              hall and the shaded front fenced areas as demonstration/display areas in
              the past, and could easily schedule some additional activities between
              battles. How about a fashion show not just with soldiers? A Farb
              contest where the public would have to spot the inaccuracies/modern
              intrusions? Any people/groups that want to pursue something should get in
              touch.

              --David Webb (905) 468-6612 or David.Webb@...

              -- At 09:33 PM 03/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
              >Okay, I asked last week and I'm going to ask again . Does anyone have any
              >info on the "alleged" event at Ft. George for this year? I know it's on
              >the listing, BUT , is there any hard copy out there ? Once again, did I
              >miss something in the mail? Is this just a wish amongst us? Does anyone
              >know anything at all?? Am I just being a A-hole about this? Please any
              >info by anyone would be appreciated . It's getting to the point where some
              >of us won't be able to make it because we have to book time of work .
              > DAVE WEBB , ANY PARK'S CANADA STAFF MEMBER, ANYONE WITH ANY
              > INFORMATION THAT IS NOT RUMOUR, THEORY, OR PRESUMPTION PLEASE MAKE AN
              > "OFFICIAL" ANNOUNCEMENT SO THAT WE CAN PLAN FOR THIS !!!
              >
              >If I am persona-non-grata , then I thank you for your time. BUT , without
              >any confirmed information, the US line will be VERY small ( worse than
              >usual ) .
              >Thank you for your time
              >John Harris
              >25th US Whiting's Company
              >
              >
              >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              >
              >
              >
              >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
              >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
              >of square miles...
              >
              >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              >
            • Tracy
              Hi David and other event planners Tall grass vs short grass; here is my opinion SHORT grass I wrote before how long grass takes away from the devestation of
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2003
                Hi David and other event planners

                Tall grass vs short grass; here is my opinion SHORT grass I wrote
                before how long grass takes away from the devestation of the death
                and injured of the battles because from the sidelines after a soldier
                falls down we can't see them laying there.

                However on a health note since we have West Nile in Ontario and we
                are having a very wet spring as well as other health worries tourists
                and the specators are staying home and staying out of areas that
                would put them at risk of getting what ever the news says is ailing
                us that day! so standing in a field of long grass that could have
                either Ticks( which I heard this year is a bad year for them also)or
                mosquitoes will only bring floundering attendence numbers down even
                more.
                I as a dedicated spectator prefer grass that is short with the
                present mosquito problem......Last year we had West Nile but now we
                hear about it all the time.
                I am not a whimp I spent the last three weekends camping with Cubs in
                tents in the rain ,.I am concerned about the low attendence of the
                historical museums in the Niagara Area .

                To David
                A FARB fashion show would be alot of fun as well as activities for
                kids between the battles.Making Candy cartridges always goes over
                well.
                Tracy
                PS spectators don't really notice that the cut grass is not athentic
                and it is also less attractive for mosquitos.Back then there was
                swamp fever from mosquitos i don't think any spector would want it to
                be that athentic!

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, David Webb <alderweb@v...> wrote:
                . Anyone who has
                > ideas, suggestions, comments, should feel free to let me know what
                you
                > would like to see changed. So far the suggestions include:
                > --Raw food/rations in lieu of lunches/breakfast. How do people feel
                about this?
                > --Tall grass vs short grass for battlefield. How about something
                in
                > between? Locations of battles?
                > --Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
                > suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will
                need to
                > map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
                > --Access to our kitchen: This can and has been done in the past,
                but for
                > safety and liability reasons I have to have a staff person there
                too.
                > --Blacksmith Shop: Same as the kitchen.
                > --This winter there was a discussion regarding more
                civilian/distaff
                > activities and involvement at events. We have used the Officer's
                Quarters
                > hall and the shaded front fenced areas as demonstration/display
                areas in
                > the past, and could easily schedule some additional activities
                between
                > battles. How about a fashion show not just with soldiers? A
                Farb
                > contest where the public would have to spot the inaccuracies/modern
                > intrusions? Any people/groups that want to pursue something should
                get in
                > touch.
                >
                > --David Webb (905) 468-6612 or David.Webb@p...
                >
              • David Webb
                Thanks for your thoughts on the grass issue. We are certainly aware of the bug aspect and will review what we are doing. There is also a fire hazard in July.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 7, 2003
                  Thanks for your thoughts on the grass issue. We are certainly aware of the
                  bug aspect and will review what we are doing. There is also a fire hazard
                  in July. By the end of Saturday, thought, the troops had pretty much
                  trampled the grass down. Perhaps something less tall, but not quite golf
                  course like. Are there any other opinions? --Dave Webb At 04:31 AM
                  06/06/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                  >Hi David and other event planners
                  >
                  > Tall grass vs short grass; here is my opinion SHORT grass I wrote
                  >before how long grass takes away from the devestation of the death
                  >and injured of the battles because from the sidelines after a soldier
                  >falls down we can't see them laying there.
                  >
                  >However on a health note since we have West Nile in Ontario and we
                  >are having a very wet spring as well as other health worries tourists
                  >and the specators are staying home and staying out of areas that
                  >would put them at risk of getting what ever the news says is ailing
                  >us that day! so standing in a field of long grass that could have
                  >either Ticks( which I heard this year is a bad year for them also)or
                  >mosquitoes will only bring floundering attendence numbers down even
                  >more.
                  >I as a dedicated spectator prefer grass that is short with the
                  >present mosquito problem......Last year we had West Nile but now we
                  >hear about it all the time.
                  >I am not a whimp I spent the last three weekends camping with Cubs in
                  >tents in the rain ,.I am concerned about the low attendence of the
                  >historical museums in the Niagara Area .
                  >
                  >To David
                  >A FARB fashion show would be alot of fun as well as activities for
                  >kids between the battles.Making Candy cartridges always goes over
                  >well.
                  > Tracy
                  >PS spectators don't really notice that the cut grass is not athentic
                  >and it is also less attractive for mosquitos.Back then there was
                  >swamp fever from mosquitos i don't think any spector would want it to
                  >be that athentic!
                  >
                  >--- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, David Webb <alderweb@v...> wrote:
                  >. Anyone who has
                  > > ideas, suggestions, comments, should feel free to let me know what
                  >you
                  > > would like to see changed. So far the suggestions include:
                  > > --Raw food/rations in lieu of lunches/breakfast. How do people feel
                  >about this?
                  > > --Tall grass vs short grass for battlefield. How about something
                  >in
                  > > between? Locations of battles?
                  > > --Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
                  > > suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will
                  >need to
                  > > map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
                  > > --Access to our kitchen: This can and has been done in the past,
                  >but for
                  > > safety and liability reasons I have to have a staff person there
                  >too.
                  > > --Blacksmith Shop: Same as the kitchen.
                  > > --This winter there was a discussion regarding more
                  >civilian/distaff
                  > > activities and involvement at events. We have used the Officer's
                  >Quarters
                  > > hall and the shaded front fenced areas as demonstration/display
                  >areas in
                  > > the past, and could easily schedule some additional activities
                  >between
                  > > battles. How about a fashion show not just with soldiers? A
                  >Farb
                  > > contest where the public would have to spot the inaccuracies/modern
                  > > intrusions? Any people/groups that want to pursue something should
                  >get in
                  > > touch.
                  > >
                  > > --David Webb (905) 468-6612 or David.Webb@p...
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                  >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                  >of square miles...
                  >
                  >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  >
                • Susan Spencer McLean
                  ... Yes, please -- this came up in several discussions over this past weekend. In general, the sutlers have missed the bulk of the people who turn up for the
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 9, 2003
                    David Webb wrote:

                    >--Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
                    >suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will need to
                    >map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    Yes, please -- this came up in several discussions over this past
                    weekend. In general, the sutlers have missed the bulk of the people who
                    turn up for the battles because they're outside the fort and we're
                    inside (sometimes locked in). Being somewhere that they can easily
                    access us before and after the battle would be most appreciated.

                    Of course, there are two other concerns for us -- we don't want to be so
                    far away from the re-enactors that they don't come to visit (witness the
                    first Battle of Georgian Bay), and as you point out, there is a security
                    issue after hours. I'm not sure how to address either of these -- is
                    there perhaps a spot that's in good view and easy access on the road
                    side of the fort, while being not too far a walk from the camps? Could
                    your security folk perhaps add a loop to their evening rounds while
                    we're there?

                    -- Sioux
                  • David Webb
                    Hello Sioux, I don t think you were at Fort George last summer, but we cut a gate in the palisade between the battlefield and the fort. This made it possible
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
                      Hello Sioux,
                      I don't think you were at Fort George last summer, but we cut a gate in
                      the palisade between the battlefield and the fort. This made it possible
                      for the public to see the battle, and then move directly into the fort with
                      ease. This meant that most of those who came for battles returned by the
                      fort, or went there first. The gates were never closed.
                      If you are outside the fort, there are two shaded areas that might work
                      out--- The first choice is in front of the visitor centre, where you would
                      catch most of the visitors going into the fort when the battles are not
                      raging, and you would be near Wolf's group. The second choice would be
                      farther west of this area, nearer the field parking area. This would be
                      farther from the fort, but would get the crowd just coming for the
                      battle. I sort of prefer the first spot since this would give you better
                      shade, and ground, and you will get visitors coming and going. People
                      rushing to the battle might not stop to look at your products.
                      We place a commissionaire in the parking lot, and this should help with
                      security. I have staff who stay over all night, and they also are available.
                      Is there a sutler nearby who could walk the ground? I am happy to meet
                      someone to do this, and there might be a better location. I can buy lunch.

                      On another note, mailings just went out. If you do not get this by next
                      week, please let me know, and we will send one out to you. I can send the
                      registration form to anyone who wishes this also, as a word
                      attachment. That way you do not have to pay postage.
                      Dave Webb

                      At 08:23 AM 09/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                      >David Webb wrote:
                      >
                      > >--Sutlers to relocate outside the fort to a shaded area? This was
                      > >suggested last year, and I am certainly open to this, but we will need to
                      > >map out a suitable location. Security might be a bit of a concern.
                      > >
                      > >
                      > >
                      >Yes, please -- this came up in several discussions over this past
                      >weekend. In general, the sutlers have missed the bulk of the people who
                      >turn up for the battles because they're outside the fort and we're
                      >inside (sometimes locked in). Being somewhere that they can easily
                      >access us before and after the battle would be most appreciated.
                      >
                      >Of course, there are two other concerns for us -- we don't want to be so
                      >far away from the re-enactors that they don't come to visit (witness the
                      >first Battle of Georgian Bay), and as you point out, there is a security
                      >issue after hours. I'm not sure how to address either of these -- is
                      >there perhaps a spot that's in good view and easy access on the road
                      >side of the fort, while being not too far a walk from the camps? Could
                      >your security folk perhaps add a loop to their evening rounds while
                      >we're there?
                      >
                      >-- Sioux
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of
                      >square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                      >of square miles...
                      >
                      >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      >
                    • Susan Spencer McLean
                      Thanks for the reply, Dave -- I agree with you that the first spot sounds best, especially if there s a commissionaire around for security. I was just speaking
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 11, 2003
                        Thanks for the reply, Dave -- I agree with you that the first spot
                        sounds best, especially if there's a commissionaire around for security.
                        I was just speaking with Sutler Cyrus, and he agrees as well. The shade
                        would definitely be a most welcome change from our usual spot on the
                        high veldt!

                        What do the other sutlers (who are familiar with the site) on the list
                        think?

                        I'll contact you off-list re: finding a sutler to walk the site with you.

                        Your consideration and concern for our well-being is very much appreciated.

                        -- Sioux
                        Mrs. McLean's Mercantile
                      • roy winders
                        On behalf of the B.I.D. I would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to the staff, vollunteers and the crown forces for all their hard work in making the
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                          On behalf of the B.I.D. I would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to the staff, vollunteers
                          and the crown forces for all their hard work in making the Ft.George event one of the best,
                          I would also like to thank Mr.Twist for allowing us the honour of  being the first to die,
                          also Thanks to Mike Jansen's boys for helping us briefly scare the defenders of the fort.
                          Congratulations to the 41st on the debut of those beautiful colours.
                          This just keeps getting better.
                          Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.
                           

                          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        • tom4141fournier
                          Thanks Roy! Congratulations on your Oscar Wish we could have been inside to see it although your carcasses still looked pretty impressive as we roared past
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 18, 2011
                            Thanks Roy! Congratulations on your "Oscar" Wish we could have been inside to see it although your carcasses still looked pretty impressive as we roared past

                            Tom

                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, roy winders <rangerroy50@...> wrote:
                            .....


                            > Congratulations to the 41st on the debut of those beautiful colours.
                            > This just keeps getting better.
                            > Roy Winders, Capt. B.I.D.
                            >  
                            >
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.