Re: [WarOf1812] Crossing the Border - Fort Meigs "First Seige" event, May 24-25, 2003

  • PEGGY Mathews
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27 9:27 AM
      Good tips for the traveller.

      Yes, it was a splendid event. The predicted rain never materialized, good
      drill and tacticals, fun skits like chasing cannon balls during the lantern
      tours, a spontaneous parley to retrieve a captive of the natives (not sure
      her husband was happy to get her back!), and best of all that most rare
      thing... The British line outnumbered 3:1 by us Yanks! Oh, and how can I
      forget the prime rib dinner on Saturday given by the site? Nice for me in
      that I got to put a face to Jim and Andrew's names from the YahooList.

      To echo Jim's comments the new site is even better than before, with an
      outstanding museum. Plus a discount for reenactors in the gift/book shop.
      It's a 10 hour drive for me, but I've yet to be disappointed. And a special
      thanks to Captain Sparkle!

      Michael

      "A man only needs two things in life. WD40 to make things go, duct tape to
      make them stop."

      >From: yawors1@...
      >To: warof1812@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [WarOf1812] Crossing the Border - Fort Meigs "First Seige" event,
      >May 24-25, 2003
      >Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:22:41 -0400
      >
      >I thought I would share with the List my experience on the border at
      >Windsor/Detroit the past weekend.
      >
      >I was travelling solo to attend the Fort Meigs 1812 First Seige Weekend.
      >
      >This event was *excellent*, by the way. The new museum at Meigs is large
      >and absolutely first rate. The site was always one of the most awesome in
      >the world of 1812. With the new museum complex it must now be considered a
      >"must-do" place of pilgrimage for all 1812'ers. As for the event itself,
      >as usual we were treated like kings all weekend.

      (snip)