Park/Nafziger Reliability

    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2003
      From: "James Yaworsky" <jyaworsky@...>

      I believe the Park/Nafziger book contains a lot of minor errors.
      It should be used with caution.

      Thank you Jim

      as all books should and only original documentaion to be
      taken "ALMOST" at face value ........

      Example

      Horse Guards G. O. 1, July (18)11

      " All General Officers are to wear one aiguilette on the right
      shoulder instead of epaulettes .... "

      General Sir Isaac Brock at Queenston Heights is shot and killed
      ..... his coat is in the Canadian War Museum ....with two epaulettes!!!!
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2003
        In a message dated 5/27/2003 11:12:25 AM Central Daylight Time,
        lalozon@... writes:

        > Example
        >
        > Horse Guards G. O. 1, July (18)11
        >
        > " All General Officers are to wear one aiguilette on the right
        > shoulder instead of epaulettes .... "
        >
        > General Sir Isaac Brock at Queenston Heights is shot and killed
        > ..... his coat is in the Canadian War Museum ....with two epaulettes!!!!

        Ah, that is because Brock was on active duty and had a pre 1811 regulation
        coat. Just because an order comes out all the old stuff takes time to change.
        The usual time for the changeover was 2 years but that did vary depending on the
        item and rank of the wearer (who is going to tell a general to update his
        uniform :-)).

        Also some items continued long past their 'sell by' date, in the Crimea an
        officer of the Scots Fusilier Guards was using the 1796 infantry officers sword
        his father had carried at Waterloo.

      • HQ93rd@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2003
          In a message dated 27/05/2003 9:12:37 AM, lalozon@... writes:
          > From: "James Yaworsky" <jyaworsky@...>
          >
          > I believe the Park/Nafziger book contains a lot of minor errors.
          > It should be used with caution....

          > Thank you Jim
          > as all books should and only original documentaion to be
          > taken "ALMOST" at face value ........
          > Example
          > Horse Guards G. O. 1,  July (18)11
          > " All General Officers are to wear one aiguilette on the right
          > shoulder instead of epaulettes .... "
          > General Sir Isaac Brock  at Queenston Heights is shot and killed
          > ..... his coat is in the Canadian War Museum ....with two epaulettes!!!!

          Oh yes and dear me. Should I bother meself to get up and dig out my copy of
          Nazfiger? Nawwww...
          Anyway, I do recall my own huffing and puffing on the "reliability" of this
          so-called work when I saw it listing the 93rd as having been "de-kilted" and
          decommissioned as "Highland" sometime in the early 1800s. All of which is
          balderdash and easily proven otherwise. (What happened - long story short-- Horse
          Guards got its orders it was sending out wrong, and in the insuing confusion
          one of those orders listed the 93rd as being de-kilted when another regiment
          was supposed to be the actual recipient of said orders -- so the
          De-Highlanidizing of the 93rd which did not happen, never happened, but Nazfiger happened
          upon the erroneous document and, without further checking, went by said erroneous
          document.
          In other words -- it's all a bunch of poo. Needless to say, I don't bother
          digging out Nazfiger for reference, as it's information is all highly suspect,
          IMHO.

          93rd SHRoFLHU
          THE Thin Red Line
          www.93rdhighlanders.com