Name calling

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      I have some comments!

      The item that started this thread was a question about the source for a
      US tombstone shako. A list member recommended a craftsman as a good
      source for period correct hand made military hats.

      Calvin responded that this craftsman hats were too expensive. When
      another list member replied with a different opinion, the thread
      devolved to name calling. From the first time that Mr. Arnt posted to
      the list asking the question about what the proper uniform would be for
      the Lincoln Militia, it has been apparent that thought he asks for help,
      when someone replies with anything other that his preconcived idea of
      the correct information, he responds by arguing that the response must
      be wrong. The continuous argumentative nature of these comments are
      distasteful at the least.

      We are all entitled to our opinions. Responding to others opinions that
      do not agree with ours with ridicule and name calling does little to
      further the exchange or ideas and information that the list has been
      created for.

      From my point of view, having convictions is fine, as long as you don't
      try to bully others to accept yours any time they do not fully agree.
      Convictions DO NOT excuse rudeness, ever.

      I hope that we can conduct our business on this list as ladies and
      gentlemen in the future.

      Regards,

      Bob Dorian
    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2003
        Amen to that Dr. Bob
        Ray Hobbs
        CO 41st Regt
        HQ Hamilton

        On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 05:38 PM, dancingbobd@... wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I have some comments!
        >
        > The item that started this thread was a question about the source for a
        > US tombstone shako.  A list member recommended a craftsman as a good
        > source for period correct hand made military hats.
        >
        > Calvin responded that this craftsman hats were too expensive.  When
        > another list member replied with a different opinion, the thread
        > devolved to name calling.  From the first time that Mr. Arnt posted to
        > the list asking the question about what the proper uniform would be for
        > the Lincoln Militia, it has been apparent that thought he asks for
        > help,
        > when someone replies with anything other that his preconcived idea of
        > the correct information, he responds by arguing that the response must
        > be wrong.  The continuous argumentative nature of these comments are
        > distasteful at the least.
        >
        > We are all entitled to our opinions.  Responding to others opinions
        > that
        > do not agree with ours with ridicule and name calling does little to
        > further the exchange or ideas and information that the list has been
        > created for.
        >
        > From my point of view, having convictions is fine, as long as you don't
        > try to bully others to accept yours any time they do not fully agree.
        > Convictions DO NOT excuse rudeness, ever.
        >
        > I hope that we can conduct our business on this list as ladies and
        > gentlemen in the future.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Bob Dorian

        <image.tiff>

        > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2003

          Well said Mr. Dorian.

          Craig
        • Calvin Arnt
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2003
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, dancingbobd@w... wrote:

            > Calvin responded that this craftsman hats were too expensive. When
            > another list member replied with a different opinion, the thread
            > devolved to name calling.

            I may be partly to blame, but as I have posted before, I have a right
            to defend myself. If someone will deliberately offend me, I'll say
            something.

            From the first time that Mr. Arnt posted to
            > the list asking the question about what the proper uniform would be
            for
            > the Lincoln Militia, it has been apparent that thought he asks for
            help,
            > when someone replies with anything other that his preconcived idea
            of
            > the correct information, he responds by arguing that the response
            must
            > be wrong. The continuous argumentative nature of these comments are
            > distasteful at the least.

            Well this is an interesting perspective; mostly wrong however. First,
            with regard to facing colour, yes I did ask, and yes, I disagreed
            with the only person I can recall replied to that inquiry. Having
            said that, let me tell you that I cleared the coat colours past Peter
            Twist before I started any cutting. Since that time, Mr. Henderson,
            Mr. Webb from fort George and others have affirmed to me that I made
            an accurate decision.

            Now as to your insinuation that I don't take ANY advice . . . hmmmm
            let's see I asked about hearts on turnbacks. Has anyone out there
            seen me wearing hearts on my turnbacks? Seems like I went with the
            advice this list gave. When I was searching for a sword, I inquired,
            and eventually went with Mr. Pickles advice, getting the EXACT sword
            he told me would be appropriate. I paid $833 for that sword, so I
            think I've shown that I am willing to follow advice and pay whatever
            price is necessary. It would seem your comments are incorrect. I will
            follow an opinion if it is reasonable, and fairly in line with my own
            research. The facing issue was ONE, out of all the others where I
            disagreed and as I have said, significant people in the 1812
            community agree with my decision.

            > From my point of view, having convictions is fine, as long as you
            don't
            > try to bully others to accept yours any time they do not fully
            agree.
            > Convictions DO NOT excuse rudeness, ever.

            I sincerely hope your comments of rudeness apply to beyond myself
            because as I have said, there is NO difference between the bully who
            taunts someone, and the guy who finally hits the bully. No difference
            whatsoever.

            Calvin.
          • Gregory Schultz
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14, 2003
              Can we please cease and desist with this agonizing affair and get on with good history & back to why we are all on this list. No offence to any involved but it seems that enough has been said on the subject. Thanks.

              G. Brass
              > Calvin responded that this craftsman hats were too expensive. When
              > another list member replied with a different opinion, the thread
              > devolved to name calling.

              I may be partly to blame, but as I have posted before, I have a right
              to defend myself. If someone will deliberately offend me, I'll say
              something.

              From the first time that Mr. Arnt posted to
              > the list asking the question about what the proper uniform would be
              for
              > the Lincoln Militia, it has been apparent that thought he asks for
              help,
              > when someone replies with anything other that his preconcived idea
              of
              > the correct information, he responds by arguing that the response
              must
              > be wrong. The continuous argumentative nature of these comments are
              > distasteful at the least.

              Well this is an interesting perspective; mostly wrong however. First,
              with regard to facing colour, yes I did ask, and yes, I disagreed
              with the only person I can recall replied to that inquiry. Having
              said that, let me tell you that I cleared the coat colours past Peter
              Twist before I started any cutting. Since that time, Mr. Henderson,
              Mr. Webb from fort George and others have affirmed to me that I made
              an accurate decision.

              Now as to your insinuation that I don't take ANY advice . . . hmmmm
              let's see I asked about hearts on turnbacks. Has anyone out there
              seen me wearing hearts on my turnbacks? Seems like I went with the
              advice this list gave. When I was searching for a sword, I inquired,
              and eventually went with Mr. Pickles advice, getting the EXACT sword
              he told me would be appropriate. I paid $833 for that sword, so I
              think I've shown that I am willing to follow advice and pay whatever
              price is necessary. It would seem your comments are incorrect. I will
              follow an opinion if it is reasonable, and fairly in line with my own
              research. The facing issue was ONE, out of all the others where I
              disagreed and as I have said, significant people in the 1812
              community agree with my decision.

              > From my point of view, having convictions is fine, as long as you
              don't
              > try to bully others to accept yours any time they do not fully
              agree.
              > Convictions DO NOT excuse rudeness, ever.

              I sincerely hope your comments of rudeness apply to beyond myself
              because as I have said, there is NO difference between the bully who
              taunts someone, and the guy who finally hits the bully. No difference
              whatsoever.

              Calvin.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor