Re: [WarOf1812] Paint

  • ANDREW BATEMAN
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2003
      Did the Board of Ordnance issue chairs? What did they look like? Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

      mwa772003 <mwanderson@...> wrote:Can anyone recommend a paint that would look accurate for
      1812 period that would be used for painting a black coloured
      logo � B.O ( the British ordnance arrow) on white canvas. The
      canvas is part of a chair seat, so the paint would need to durable
      and somewhat waterproof. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any
      suggestions?

      Mike Anderson - Toronto
      Glengarry Light Infantry

    • Gregory Schultz
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9, 2003
        Are we ready for another discussion on the merrits of authenticity? Here we
        go again....! Weeee!!!!!

        >From: ANDREW BATEMAN <abateman@...>
        >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Paint
        >Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >Did the Board of Ordnance issue chairs? What did they look like? Andrew
        >Bateman, 41st Foot
        >
        >mwa772003 <mwanderson@...> wrote:Can anyone recommend a paint
        >that would look accurate for
        >1812 period that would be used for painting a black coloured
        >logo � B.O ( the British ordnance arrow) on white canvas. The
        >canvas is part of a chair seat, so the paint would need to durable
        >and somewhat waterproof. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any
        >suggestions?
        >
        >Mike Anderson - Toronto
        >Glengarry Light Infantry

        >of square miles...

        >of square miles...

      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2003
          on 5/9/03 2:32 PM, mwa772003 at mwanderson@... wrote:

          > Can anyone recommend a paint that would look accurate for
          > 1812 period that would be used for painting a black coloured
          > logo – B.O ( the British ordnance arrow) on white canvas. The
          > canvas is part of a chair seat, so the paint would need to durable
          > and somewhat waterproof. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any
          > suggestions?
          >
          > Mike Anderson - Toronto

          You want authentic, oil paint. You want durable and waterproof (but not
          authentic) acrylic. There's also silkscreen ink that is meant for fabric,
          not necessarily waterproof but it won't wash out. There is also fabric paint
          that most art supply stores carry that is meant to stand up to washing.
          Why you want to put it on a chair seat is curious,,,Why DO you want to put
          it on a chair seat. I'm pretty sure the Board of Ordanence wasn't in the
          business of supplying camp chairs to soldiers.

          Craig
        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2003
            tremclad!

            cheap and once its on it looks like black paint!

            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2003
              From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

              tremclad!

              cheap and once its on it looks like black paint!

              as long as you don't use yellow! :-)