Re: [WarOf1812] Paint

  • ANDREW BATEMAN
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9 12:05 PM
      Did the Board of Ordnance issue chairs? What did they look like? Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot

      mwa772003 <mwanderson@...> wrote:Can anyone recommend a paint that would look accurate for
      1812 period that would be used for painting a black coloured
      logo � B.O ( the British ordnance arrow) on white canvas. The
      canvas is part of a chair seat, so the paint would need to durable
      and somewhat waterproof. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any
      suggestions?

      Mike Anderson - Toronto
      Glengarry Light Infantry

    • Gregory Schultz
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9 12:13 PM
        Mike,

        I have a paint recipe from the 1860's that should fit your needs. This
        ingredients for this recipe are: boiled linseed oil, pine rosin, bee wax,
        lamp or bone black, and a little spirits of turpentine. Though I cannot
        document this recipe to the early 19th century, the ingredients are all
        period to the 1812 timeframe.

        I use this paint to waterproof groundcloths for a different re-enacting time
        period and it works quite well. A quick side note - the rosin and bee wax
        give the paint a bit of a gloss, especially if the canvas you are painting
        has a very tight weave. Also, from my own experience making and using this
        paint, the black pigment stays in the fabric and doesn't bleed or rub off.

        If you are interested in making this paint, I will post the recipe.

        YMH&OS,

        G. Brass

        >From: "mwa772003" <mwanderson@...>
        >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [WarOf1812] Paint
        >Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 18:32:17 -0000
        >
        >Can anyone recommend a paint that would look accurate for
        >1812 period that would be used for painting a black coloured
        >logo � B.O ( the British ordnance arrow) on white canvas. The
        >canvas is part of a chair seat, so the paint would need to durable
        >and somewhat waterproof. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any
        >suggestions?
        >
        >Mike Anderson - Toronto
        >Glengarry Light Infantry

      • Gregory Schultz
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9 12:37 PM
          Are we ready for another discussion on the merrits of authenticity? Here we
          go again....! Weeee!!!!!

          >From: ANDREW BATEMAN <abateman@...>
          >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Paint
          >Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 12:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Did the Board of Ordnance issue chairs? What did they look like? Andrew
          >Bateman, 41st Foot
          >
          >mwa772003 <mwanderson@...> wrote:Can anyone recommend a paint
          >that would look accurate for
          >1812 period that would be used for painting a black coloured
          >logo � B.O ( the British ordnance arrow) on white canvas. The
          >canvas is part of a chair seat, so the paint would need to durable
          >and somewhat waterproof. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any
          >suggestions?
          >
          >Mike Anderson - Toronto
          >Glengarry Light Infantry

          >of square miles...

          >of square miles...

        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , May 9 4:58 PM
            on 5/9/03 2:32 PM, mwa772003 at mwanderson@... wrote:

            > Can anyone recommend a paint that would look accurate for
            > 1812 period that would be used for painting a black coloured
            > logo – B.O ( the British ordnance arrow) on white canvas. The
            > canvas is part of a chair seat, so the paint would need to durable
            > and somewhat waterproof. I don't want to spend a fortune. Any
            > suggestions?
            >
            > Mike Anderson - Toronto

            You want authentic, oil paint. You want durable and waterproof (but not
            authentic) acrylic. There's also silkscreen ink that is meant for fabric,
            not necessarily waterproof but it won't wash out. There is also fabric paint
            that most art supply stores carry that is meant to stand up to washing.
            Why you want to put it on a chair seat is curious,,,Why DO you want to put
            it on a chair seat. I'm pretty sure the Board of Ordanence wasn't in the
            business of supplying camp chairs to soldiers.

            Craig
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 8 , May 10 6:43 AM
              tremclad!

              cheap and once its on it looks like black paint!

              Message 6 of 8 , May 10 8:50 AM
                From: "Kevin Windsor" <kevin.windsor@...>

                tremclad!

                cheap and once its on it looks like black paint!

                as long as you don't use yellow! :-)