Ginny Medlen

  • militaryheritage
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2003
      It is with great sadness that I announce the untimely death of a dear
      friend and wonderful person. Virginia Shaw Medlen, known to her
      friends as Ginny, was killed in Holland when she was struck by a
      motor vehicle; the driver having suffered a heart attack.

      A former US army officer who made a living as a patent lawyer, Ginny
      was an active member of many military heritage societies including as
      a director in the Napoleonic Alliance. She had also amassed a
      significant collection of British militaria and was a avid writer and
      researcher. However many on this list will know her simply as a
      soldier in the 8th Regiment of Foot and as the colour bearer of the
      Irish Legion. Ginny is survived by her husband and daughter.

      Ginny was a true comrade in the line and around the table whose place
      will not be easily filled. We will miss you Ginny and I am greatly
      honoured to have known such an intelligent, witty, honest, straight-
      forward, sincere and faithful person such as youself.

      Robert Henderson
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2003
        To say I am shocked is an under statement. Ginny was a dear friend.
        I had not seen much of of her in the last year, basically just at last years OMSA convention in Phoenix but since first meeting her in 1990 I have had a great respect for her knowledge and 'eye' for our period. She was a fellow cavalry nut and we spent many hours talking about the minutiae of 18th and 19th century Light cavalry.

        As a re-enactor she was one of the boys, her fake moustache (for her 3eme Etranger portrayal) and sidewhiskers were undetectable, and sometimes caused consternation when she visited the ladies room in kit! She was unfailingly kind and enthusiastic, and most of all generous with her time and knowledge.

        She was one of those people who was 'there' for me when I was going through some dark times in 2001. I know how I feel about not seeing her again so I can only imagine the devastation of her family. My heart goes out to them.

        God speed Ginny, now you know the answers to all those questions that used to puzzle us, but you have much bigger fish to fry!

        We will all miss you, Love.

        Tim
      • PEGGY Mathews
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2003
          (snip)
          >As a re-enactor she was one of the boys, her fake moustache (for her 3eme
          >Etranger portrayal) and sidewhiskers were undetectable, and sometimes
          >caused consternation when she visited the ladies room in kit! She was
          >unfailingly kind and enthusiastic, and most of all generous with her time
          >and knowledge.

          And I will always smile as I think back to Ballestone in '98 when some of my
          friends came to me, concerned that my wife (dressed as a vivandiere) was
          being hit on by a dashing officer in the Regiment Irlandais. When in
          reality they were of course just mugging for the camera.

          I'm glad we got a chance to visit at Crysler's Farm last year. She will be
          missed.

          Michael Mathews

          "A man only needs two things in life. WD40 to make things go, duct tape to
          make them stop."

        • Len Heidebrecht
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2003
            Dear Lord, please protect Ginny and look kindly after her family in
            this time of strife.
            She was one of my grenadiers at Waterloo in 1995. A kind heart, a
            good person and someone to be missed but remembered fondly.
            I have just spoken with Peter Twist and he is aware of our loss.
            You're OK Jumper
            Len
          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2003
              I am truly sorry to hear of Ginny's unfortunate passing.

              Craig