Longwoods

    Message 1 of 51 , May 5, 2003
      I also congratulate the Royal Scots for their
      work and success presenting the Battle of
      Longwoods weekend. Consider this my
      registration for your 2004 event!

      Thanks to Paul Kelly who captured the
      soul of the event on film (oops digital)!

      Seeing what the spectators saw the battles
      were very animated and very enjoyable,
      although it is always hard to narrate a battle
      where the Crown Forces are climbing up
      a snowy slippery hill, when there is no hill
      or snow.

      The Crown Forces Corps of Drums out
      did themselves and the lament during the
      Remembrance Service was very
      professionally executed. Thanks for the all
      the hard work done by Drum Major Ross
      Flowers and his musicians. He has posted
      that he is actively searching for more fifers
      and drummers.

      Recruiting is also being done by Richard Feltoe
      who is raising the Crown Forces Colour Party.
      This new unit will be created to allow both
      wings of the Crown Forces to have colours.
      Interested parties are to contact Richard.

      Our sympathies to the family of Bud Powers
      from Chatham Ontario Canada portraying
      the 27th US Infantry who passed away. He
      will be missed.

      I would also like to mention those unsung heroes
      who change into American identities to bolster
      the " Thin Blue Line", without them the battle
      scenarios would not be believable. Hats off to
      the "Cross Dressers"!
      And as always there is Rob, Betsy and the cadre'
      of US Troops who constantly attend. Thanks to
      the old US guard for staying loyal all these years

      Gratitude also goes to the "doing-it-correct" sutlers
      who have to put up with those who don't. We may not
      always show it but we appreciate your efforts to
      appear and sell 1812.

      Sad it is to say goodbye to Ed Kliewer of Bent River
      Wood Products. This was his last event as a Sutler.
      Ya couldn't buy the wood to make a box or chair for
      what he charged.

      My dance card shows the next outings to be

      May 24-25 Talbot Settlement Reenactment - Port Stanley, Ontario
      May 24-25: Fort Meigs - First Siege 1813 - Perrysburg Ohio
      May 26 Fort Meigs - Memorial Day Commeration - Perrysburg Ohio
      (Ed ?!?)

      Cheers,

      Larry Lozon
    • tom4141fournier
      Message 51 of 51 , May 8

        Good morning list

        I would like to thank the Royal Scot Lights for their wonderful work hosting us this weekend at the Longwoods Conservation Area just outside of London, Ontario.

        I marvel at the resiliency and high spirts so evident in reenactors!

        In spite of terrible weather forecasts all week, we had a remarkable turnout and actually had a very good weekend.  All drill sessions and battle scenarios went as planned.

        I am so happy all were rewarded with a sunny day and dry canvas to wrap up the weekend!

        I found the American forces to be very active and energetic and truly a daunting opponent.

        I would also like to thank the assembled British, Canadian and Native forces for their support and fine efforts.  It is always a joy to watch the dedication with which they train to refine their impression and the skill they demonstrate in application.

        Next up is our first Crown Forces event of the season at Fort Meigs.  Stoney Creek quickly follows.  I hope to see strong turnouts and great support at both events.

        Truly I remain,

        Your most humble and obedient Servant,

        Tom Fournier, Lt. Colonel

        Crown Forces