Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Conflict on the Chesapeake

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
      Ted,

      The St Michael's event is no longer a mystery. The organizers had talked to an 1812 re-enactor from the Mid-Atlantic area last fall and came away assuming that he would do all the necessary contacting to get units to come to the event. Unfortunately there was no further information forthcoming from either party. I was checking out the 1812 events listed in the April issue of Smoke & Fire when I came across the event (and no it wasn't in March's issue). To make matters worse, the site, in trying to celebrate the 190th anniversary of the British attack on the town as near to the original date as possible, also scheduled its event the same weekend as Ft Erie!

      Since then both the Royal Marines and Ship's Company have been in communication with St Michael's in an attempt to resolve this problem. This weekend's event at Havre De Grace will provide an opportunity for all of us to air out the issues you have brought up and to hopefully work toward having a better grasp of scheduling future events. For the record, Ship's Company and the Royal Marines have been working in close support of each other for years and have shared information on events between our respective units. Ship's Company has its events listed on its website and the Royal Marines sends mailings to most of the unit commanders in the area announcing which events they are attending for the coming year.

      Though Havre De Grace can be considered one of our major 1812 events down here in the Chesapeake region and is always the first weekend in May, the 5th Maryland has chosen not to attend. Therefore they may not have a chance to weigh in on this 'conflict', its consequenses and subsequent resolution.

      As you say, mutual support and liaison of units can guarantee the success of these events and we look forward to you and the 1st MD this coming weekend.

      Ed Seufert
      LCpl, 1812 Royal Marines

      Message 2 of 6 , May 14 8:38 PM
        Buzz,
        The Fell's Point Rifles of the 1st Md Rifle BN., is a separate Coy. from Aisquith's, and is part of the Historic Guild of Md.. I think Mike Bennett has explained to you the reasons the Guild has decided to form a separate company of riflemen. Personally, your company is your company. We're just doing a company that has separate insurance and rules. In some places the law looks rather unfavorably on people under 16 with firearms. Not my doing; I started reenacting in 1966 when I was 14, some 37 years ago. But such is the world we live in today, Post-Columbine.
        I am taking the liberty of posting this to the 1812 list so that your Canadian friends and others are aware of the difference. Fell's Point Rifles was part of the original 1813
        1st Md. Rifle Bn.. We are members of the Historic Guild of Maryland.

        YH&OS
        Ted Yeatman
        Fell's Point Rifles
        1st Md. Rifle BN. [How's this, instead?]

        --------------------
        > YH&OS
        > Ted Yeatman
        > 1st Md. Rifle BN.
        > Fell's Point Rifles

        Ted
        Several weeks ago, I was advised by my Canadian friends that
        someone
        else was using my units name. I didn't think to check until, at
        Havre
        de Grace, several people assumed I was part of the 5th Md. It
        seems
        you have assumed to portray yourself not only as the Fells
        Point
        Rifles but also the 1st Maryland Rifle Battalion. Now as you
        must be
        aware, my unit, Aisquith's Sharpshooters, has been part of the
        1st
        Maryland Rifle Battalion since 1813...and has existed as a
        reenactment group for almost 20 years. In order to avoid
        further
        confusion, may I sincerely suggest that you cut it out.
        Buzz