US School of the Soldier

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      From: "Annette and Lloyd" <agower@...>

      Our U.S. school of the soldier was a good one ,
      I will look forword to another .
      ________________

      Lloyd and Annette

      Why not a wee report on your US School of the Soldier?
      at least an itinerary of what happened and who was there.

      Larry
    • Annette and Lloyd
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
        Group members ,
        The 1812 school of the soldier ,was just recently held at Fort Atkinson
        ,Nebraska April 25,26 ,27. Attended by U.S. regular infantry officers
        ,regular infantry troops ,Light Artillery and Regimental Riflemen.
        Fort Atkinson is located atop a 90 foot bluff, their is a steep winding
        trail leading from the false river bed to the top .In 1816 the Missouri
        river was at very bottom of the bluff ,however after many floods the river
        is three miles away in today's world .
        At the top of the bluff three sections of the fort have been rebuilt ,the
        east barracks was not replaced .This leaves the overall picture with a
        powder magazine in the center of a 5 acre parade field ,and three 600 foot
        long barracks forming a U shape, they being the North ,South and West
        Barracks .
        The school was held in a garrison situation .
        Friday the drummer sounded first call ,and we fell out for roll 7:30 am
        Then at 8:30 the drummer sounded report and we fell in in uniform for mess
        ,our sergeants marched us to mess .
        At 10 :00 we fell in for parade ,and Raised colors .
        Their was Drill practice
        Officers classes
        N.C.O. classes
        Court Martial cases
        Fort tour
        Artillery Instruction and firing
        Live firing of Muskets
        Live firing of rifles
        Their was a grand parade practice , and instruction .
        Guard posting instruction and drill .
        Infantry and light artillery were posted together for drill . Rifle Regiment
        drilled separate . Then on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning we
        practiced Battalion drill ,With the officers having taken command ,Learning
        to move sergeants and officers as ranks wheeled and marched .
        I joined in as a private soldier ,and learned commands to bring back to my
        home unit in Michigan ,I will now extend the training and information .I
        hope that some of the organizers will chime in and expand on my conversation
        .
        I hope their will be a school of the soldier 1812 in the U.S. at some
        location from now on.
        Dancing Bob was their let him tell about officers mess ,I only got to look
        through the window.
        Thank you for the invitation to talk Larry.
        Lloyd Gower
      • dancingbobd@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
          Hi Larry and all,

          The rain that was predicted for Friday never arrived and we had 3 great
          days for outdoor activities. Live firing was available for those who
          wanted to bruise their shoulders. A ball took place on Saturday
          evening. In addition to the Light Art'y, there were Rifles from Mich. &
          Ft. Atkinson, 1st Inf (Cpt. Dave Bennetts" Coy.) 6th Inf from Ft.
          Atkinson, a Marine 2 1/2 musicians (one with a bum leg that fifed from
          the side of the parade) and a Surgeon/Engineer (yes, I have a split
          personality) ;^0

          I walked more in the three days than I normally walk in three weeks. By
          Sat. evening, me feet hurt up to my hip joints. That's how I knew that
          I was haveing so much fun.

          Friday night we had an exciting game of whist. Maj. Smith and Lt.
          Lundgren won the first game and Capt. Bennett and I won the second. The
          sherry was enjoyed by all.

          The drill on Sunday looked very, very good. It really looked like a
          batallion.

          All and all, it was a great experience. A hearty Huzzah to Lt. James
          Lundgren who was the driving force for the event!

          Regards,

          Bob Dorian
          Engineer/Surgeon
          Independence, Missouri