Shako Cockade Eagle

  • Vcohorspraetoria@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2003
      For the longest time I thought that American Infantry shakos had a
      pewter/silver eagle on its cockade. Now I am being told that the gold/brass
      eagle was standard for all American shakos. Could somebody please shed some
      light on this subject?
      Rene' Chartrands book on American uniforms really doesn't cover this subject
      very well, or I am missing something.

      Thank You,

      Phil Holmes
      6th Regt. of United States Infantry
      Capt. Machesnay's Company

      http://www.flash.net/~dskesslr/6th_US.html

    • Steve Abolt
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2003
        Dear Phil,
        For the War of 1812 time period the cocakade eagle
        matches the color of the button, hence white metal
        (pewter) for infantry enlisted, yellow metal, or brass
        for artillery enlisted. In 1816 the Army makes subtle
        changes such as white pom-poms for all branches, some
        brass cap plates, etc. For this time period you
        should stick to the pewter eagle.

        It is interesting to note, from original inspection
        reports, that not all companies in any given regiment
        have all the same equipment. For example inspection
        reports of the 7th INF after the New Orleans campaign
        list subtle differences in the shako trimmings of each
        of the companies present on line Jackson. One company
        has shakos fully trimmed, one with just cords, one
        with just cap plates. I will need to check my
        document, but all, I believe, are listed with cockades
        and eagles.

        Hope this helps.

        All the best,
        S.
        --- Vcohorspraetoria@... wrote:
        > For the longest time I thought that American
        > Infantry shakos had a
        > pewter/silver eagle on its cockade. Now I am being
        > told that the gold/brass
        > eagle was standard for all American shakos. Could
        > somebody please shed some
        > light on this subject?
        > Rene' Chartrands book on American uniforms really
        > doesn't cover this subject
        > very well, or I am missing something.
        >
        > Thank You,
        >
        > Phil Holmes
        > 6th Regt. of United States Infantry
        > Capt. Machesnay's Company
        >
        > http://www.flash.net/~dskesslr/6th_US.html

        > removed]

        =====
        Cottonbalers, By God!

        visit our website at www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Brian Howard
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2003
          Dear Liste,
          To add to this discussion, recently at the annual
          Jamestown/Yorktown Foundations "Military Through the
          Ages", our unit was portraying 1813 Virginia Militia.
          In the camp evaluation, we were gigged on using CW
          period eagles on our cockades. The ones we use are
          from Godwins and match those shown in the Chartrand
          book and period buttons.

          Is this reproduction correct? I have spent many hours
          researching the uniforms of the Virginia militia
          unfortunately without any existing examples. There is
          a generals uniform at the Virginia War Museum in
          Newport News Virginia. Of course this does not help
          with the enlisted uniform.

          Thanks for any help you can provide.

          Brian
          2nd Va Regiment, 1813-1815

          http://tax.yahoo.com
        • Steve Abolt
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2003
            Brian,
            Contact Ron Petersen at japetersen@... He
            should have correct cockade eagles.

            All the best,
            S.

            visit our website at www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

            http://tax.yahoo.com
          • Gene
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9, 2003
              I purchased a U.S. breast plate from Ron last year at The Trail of
              History, nice item.