YANKEE DOODLE FOR THE WAR OF 1812

  • R. Feltoe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 1999
      Greetings All,
      With the discusson on YD I just wanted to toss this into the ring. It's the
      words to the tune of YD as I found them in the original diary of Ensign
      Andrew Warffe (No 6 company, Volunteer Batalion, Incorporated Militia of
      Upper Canada) for the period 1814 - 1815. I make no claims or commentary
      about its literary merits or metre, I am also not sure as to whether it was
      a popular version or a doggeral written by Warffe himself (I suspect the
      latter in view of the forms used). This song was one of several written in
      Warffe's diary, and gives a nice look at what was being sung in Upper canada
      at the time
      Regards Richard Feltoe.