Re: [WarOf1812] How The US Army Divisions Are Numbered?

  • Pro Glo Floors
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
      All,

      Little more about your numbering, the 7th Cavalry, part of the 3rd
      Infantry Division, outside Baghdad is an Infantry Battalion, not Cavalry.
      Again keeping a famous organization in the Army structure.

      Don Kehoe
      1SG, US Army (Retired)
    • CB ROTC
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
        My brother is in the 1st cavalry division, 7th regiment. the majority of
        the famous custer regiment is still in texas at Ft. Hood. The regiment is
        split into 3 main forces (i think they are battalions off hand) with one
        being in the USA at all times, one being in S. Korea and one being deployed
        in Europe. I think that the infantry unit from Europe is in Iraq right now
        (the unit in texas is definately armored cavalry and so is the one in S.
        Korea)

        Also, if looking at US military forces, not only must you include reserves,
        but also State National Guard Divisions. They are activated at time of war
        as well.

        >From: "Pro Glo Floors" <floors1@...>
        >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] How The US Army Divisions Are Numbered?
        >Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 18:21:08 -0500
        >
        >All,
        >
        > Little more about your numbering, the 7th Cavalry, part of the 3rd
        >Infantry Division, outside Baghdad is an Infantry Battalion, not Cavalry.
        >Again keeping a famous organization in the Army structure.
        >

        >Don Kehoe
        >1SG, US Army (Retired)

      • Annette and Lloyd
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
          Larry ,
          The explanation of the breakdown of U.S. Army units was very interesting .I
          had wondered for some time about the large differences in numbering of units
          ,
          Thank You .
          Could you give the same explanation for the U.S. Marines ,I have herd the
          news refer to the 1st Marine Division ,then their was mention of such Marine
          units 1/7 ,2/9 and 3/26 I believe in referece to Battalion and Regiment ,the
          system for Marine Corps must differ totally from Army also they don't seem
          to ware patches ,like the Army that differentiate them from one unit to
          another , how do they tell themselves apart ? I dont mean rank wise but
          unit to unit ?
          agower@...
        • ebclemson
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Larry and list,

            To make matters more confusing, after the war of 1812, the Army's regiments were consolidated. The modern 7th Infantry are not related to the 7th during the War of 1812. For Example, the 1st Infy. of 1812 were consolidated into the 3rd Infy. after the War, and thus the tile of "The Old Guard."

            Dave Bennett 1st Infy. & Missouri Rangers.

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
              From: "Annette and Lloyd" <agower@...>

              Larry ,

              ... Could you give the same explanation for the U.S. Marines

              ____________________

              If you check my original post, it was a 'News Item' from
              a web page and 'NOT' my personal research. The article
              was found at:

              http://slate.msn.com/id/2080825/

              I found it interesting that the 7th US Infantry of the Battle of
              New Orleans fame was mentioned as one of the Regiments
              fighting today.

              As for your request, here is a re-created US Marine Corps,
              possibly you could contact them for the info you seek.
              I do not have their contact.

              Larry Lozon

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                      Dear List,

                      Tracing Army lineage is a tricky and confusing
                      business. So to answer my old pard Dave, he is both
                      right and wrong.

                      The tracing of US Army lineage became a bone of
                      contention in the latter part of the 19th century,
                      more specifically in 1875.

                      Much has been written on this subject and I will
                      endeavor to be brief, thus avoiding a long post.

                      After the War of 1812 the American Infantry was
                      consolidated from 44 regiments to 8. The 7th INF
                      which served at New Orleans was "mustered for
                      selection" and some of its men went into the new 1st
                      INF. A new 7th was created by mustering for selection
                      men from the 8th, 20th and 39th INF. While the men
                      who originally served in the 7th regiment were now
                      assigned new units, the Regiment numbered "7"
                      continued to exist.

                      In 1862 Army units were instructed to research their
                      histories. At this time the War department officially
                      credited the 7th INF for New Orleans and Ft. Harrison
                      from the War of 1812. These were instructed to be
                      painted on the Colors.

                      As stated earlier by 1875 some in the Army began to
                      argue that earlier lineage did not matter due to the
                      reorganization of 1815.

                      On October 30, 1896 the War Department decided that
                      lineage would carry back to pre-1815 reorganization.

                      In 1912 more agitation to stop the lineage at
                      reorganization of 1815, occurred most specifiaclly in
                      regards to the 1st,(Lundy's Lane) 4th (Tippecanoe) and
                      7th (New Orleans.) US Infantries. A huge collection of
                      correspondance detailing 7th INF lineage, traditions
                      etc is located in the National Archives regarding this
                      1912 question.

                      Finally in 1920 the War Department stripped the 7th
                      INF of its New Orleans Battle Honor awarding it
                      instead to the 1st INF. I believe the same was done to
                      the 1st in regards to Lundy's Lane and the 4th for
                      Tippecanoe.

                      When the War Department asked Col. Poor, then
                      commanding the 1st INF his reaction to having the
                      action of New Orleans credited to the 1st INF he
                      wrote: "with regard to the attitude of the 1st
                      Infantry, reply is made that it yields to the decision
                      of the War Department but he opinion is practically
                      unanimous that the rules laid down in Circular 89 W.D.
                      1920, are unjust to most organizations and bring real
                      satisfaction to none. I know of no facts connecting
                      this regiment to the battle of New Orleans. The deeds
                      of the 7th Infantry there should be an inspiration to
                      the present day Army; but I feel sure that no officer
                      or man of the 1st Infantry would think for a moment of
                      claiming them as activities of this Regiment."

                      When command of the 1st was changed in 1992 the next
                      commander also re-echoed this sentiment.

                      Finally on May 5, 1923 the War Department reversd
                      itself again linking the first 7 regiments to their
                      history prior to the reorganization of 1815. This in
                      effect restored the New Orleans Streamer to the 7th
                      INF. The Lundy's Lane Streamer to the 1st INF and the
                      Tippecanoe Streamer to the 4th Infantry.

                      This is the way it has stood since. Thus if you look
                      at the 7th INF Colors today you will see streamers for
                      not only New Orleans, but Canada. The 7th never was
                      in Canada during the War of 1812. That streamer
                      honors the lineage of the 8th and 20th INF's who were
                      amalgamated in 1815. The 1st INF Colors carry Lundy's
                      Lane, where they served with distinction, plus New
                      Orleans, where the "1st" did not but the "7th" did.

                      To quote a lime from a movie "Confusing, isn't it
                      Dutchy?"

                      Thus today's active duty 7th INF still links itself to
                      New Orleans as does the 1st linking itself to Lundy's
                      Lane.

                      For an excellent study on this please see the
                      "Infantry Journal Vol XXIII No. 2. August 1923.

                      Warmest regards,
                      Steve Abolt

                      - ebclemson <ebclemson@...> wrote:
                      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Larry and
                      > list,
                      >
                      > To make matters more confusing, after the war of
                      > 1812, the Army's regiments were consolidated. The
                      > modern 7th Infantry are not related to the 7th
                      > during the War of 1812. For Example, the 1st Infy.
                      > of 1812 were consolidated into the 3rd Infy. after
                      > the War, and thus the tile of "The Old Guard."
                      >
                      > Dave Bennett 1st Infy. & Missouri Rangers.

                      =====
                      Cottonbalers, By God!

                      visit our website at www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

                      http://tax.yahoo.com
                    • PEGGY MATHEWS
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                        Um, this is the fourth time I've gotten this message. Is there something
                        goofy with the mailer or should I just say, "point taken"? ;-)

                        Michael

                        > ... Could you give the same explanation for the U.S. Marines
                        >
                        > ____________________
                        >
                        > If you check my original post, it was a 'News Item' from
                        > a web page and 'NOT' my personal research. The article
                        > was found at:
                        >
                        > http://slate.msn.com/id/2080825/
                        >
                        > I found it interesting that the 7th US Infantry of the Battle of
                        > New Orleans fame was mentioned as one of the Regiments
                        > fighting today.
                        >
                        > As for your request, here is a re-created US Marine Corps,
                        > possibly you could contact them for the info you seek.
                        > I do not have their contact.
                        >
                        > Larry Lozon
                      • Steve Abolt
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                          Ooops,
                          A couple of typos in my previous post. Corrections
                          are as follows: The new 7th was created from the 8th,
                          24th, and 39th. The command change of the 1st INF
                          referred to took place in 1922 not 1992.

                          All the best,
                          S.

                          visit our website at www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

                          http://tax.yahoo.com
                        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                            In a message dated 4/7/2003 10:19:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
                            sacbg7@... writes:

                            > After the War of 1812 the American Infantry was
                            > consolidated from 44 regiments to 8. The 7th INF
                            > which served at New Orleans was "mustered for
                            > selection" and some of its men went into the new 1st
                            > INF. A new 7th was created by mustering for selection
                            > men from the 8th, 20th and 39th INF. While the men
                            > who originally served in the 7th regiment were now
                            > assigned new units, the Regiment numbered "7"
                            > continued to exist.

                            I think this is a crucial point. Does the regiment have an existence of its
                            own or not? The fact that all the men in a particular regiment get moved to
                            others does not mean that a regiment looses its history as long as it
                            continues to exist. On the other hand if a regiment has been abolished then
                            for any other to claim its honours is rather like wearing someone else's
                            medals. That said of course a regiment can be re-raised.

                          • Ray Hobbs
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                              Now, if you think US Regimental histories and designations are
                              complicated, just check this out:

                              Fielding's Regiment of Invalids raised in 1719, became the 41st
                              Regiment in 1751. On the 1760s it became a proper Line Regiment.
                              During the War of 1812 two battalions were raised, but were shortlived
                              as separate organizations, because they were combined at the end of
                              1813 - with a surfeit of officers.
                              In 1831 the regiment was named 'The Welch', but retained its number
                              '41'. In 1881 there were three battalions of the Welsh Regiment, the
                              second of which had once been the 2nd Battalion 24th Regiment of Foot
                              raised in 1756, then renamed the 69th South Lincolnshire Regiment in
                              1758. the third Battalion, Welsh Regiment of 1881 had once been the
                              Royal Glamorgan Militia, raised in 1760, which had been renamed in 1812
                              as the Royal Glamorgan Light Infantry.
                              After 1887 there were four Volunteer Battalions of the Regiment, which
                              had their origins in the 1st Pembroke Volunteer Rifles, and the 1st,
                              2nd, 3rd Glamorgan Volunteer Rifles.
                              By 1908 all of the Battalions of the Regiment had bee renamed and
                              renumbered into the 1st and 2nd Battlions, the 3rd (Special Reserve)
                              Battalion, the 4th, 5th and 6th Battalions (Territorial Forces) and the
                              7th (Cyclist) Battalion (Territorial Forces). Of these the 4th
                              Battalion, for example, had gone through several lives as variations of
                              the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Pemrokeshire Volunteers, the 1st and 5th
                              Carmarthenshire Volunteers, the 1st Haverfordswest Volunteers - all
                              consolidated in 1880 into the 1st Pemrokeshire Vols.
                              the 2nd Battalion of the Territorials went on to become a Battalion of
                              the King's Shropshire Light Infantry in 1915 - similar to the 2/5th
                              which went into the Cheshire Regiment in 1915.
                              During WW1 the Regiment had 37 (!) battalions of varied strengths and
                              duties, and there were other Regiments attached to the Welsh Regimental
                              HQ, such as the Fishguard, Denbigh Volunteers, and the Glamorgan
                              Yeomanry, which for a few months was called 'The Imperial Glamorgan
                              Yeomanry'.
                              Between the wars and after WW2 the regiment was reduced to two
                              battalions, and in 1969 was combined with the South Wales Borderers,
                              once known as the 24th Regiment of Foot then the 2nd Warwickshire
                              Regiment before it became the SWB.
                              In 1969 a new Regiment, the Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st) was
                              established, and still exists.
                              This is by no means the least complicated of the British Regimental
                              Histories. I have left out much in the above summary.
                              Of course, any battle honours of the preceding regiments were now
                              transferred to the later ones. This why the Battle Honour "Waterloo"
                              is credited to the RRW, even though neither the 24th, nor the 41st were
                              at the battle. The 2nd 69th were, however present (The 1st 69th were
                              in the Far East). The 2nd 24th had had fine service in the Peninsula,
                              notably at Talavera, but had been sent home and were disbanded before
                              Waterloo.

                              So, the question "Who's your daddy?" is an extremely complicated one
                              when it comes to British Regimental Histories.

                              Ray Hobbs, Sgt
                              CO 41st Regiment of Foot
                              HQ Hamilton, Ontario

                              The Canadas 1799-1815

                              http://fortyfirst.tripod.com/index2.htm
                            • Steve Abolt
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                Tim,
                                This is precisely what the Army came to conclude in
                                1923. It is this point that the article in the
                                "Infantry Journal" discusses. Yet the bizarre thing of
                                it all, when tracing the official lineage as provided
                                by today's DOD, they list it as 1812 and its lineage
                                as a company of the 8th INF. Basically they are
                                trying to "have their cake and eat it too."

                                At present the lineage is so disjointed the Army has
                                just decided to leave well enough alone. TX National
                                Guard Units run into the same problem.

                                Throughout its 19th century history the 7th INF
                                celebrated its role in the Battle of New Orleans. Even
                                today, on every January 8th there is a formal change
                                of command ceremony.

                                We were honored to have them at Chalmette as a
                                co-Color guard on two occasions. For the last three
                                years, due to the current world situation they have
                                not been able to attend.

                                I recently acquired two interesting bits of the
                                regiment's past, both mentioning their annual trooping
                                of the Colors and one small note about "The same
                                ceremony in use for the last 100 years." This note is
                                dated 1915. However, I have yet to find out exactly
                                what that ceremony is or was, as no one in the active
                                duty Battalions has any knowledge of it.

                                I am also currently trying to obtain copies of the
                                original daybooks for the 1820-40 time period to see
                                what, if anything is listed for the 8th of January.

                                All the best,
                                S.

                                --- BritcomHMP@... wrote:

                                > I think this is a crucial point. Does the regiment
                                > have an existence of its
                                > own or not? The fact that all the men in a
                                > particular regiment get moved to
                                > others does not mean that a regiment looses its
                                > history as long as it
                                > continues to exist. On the other hand if a regiment
                                > has been abolished then
                                > for any other to claim its honours is rather like
                                > wearing someone else's
                                > medals. That said of course a regiment can be
                                > re-raised.
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                >
                                > Tim

                                > removed]

                                =====
                                Cottonbalers, By God!

                                visit our website at www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

                                http://tax.yahoo.com
                              • Peter Catley
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                  Now, this I understood :-)

                                  Want to get confused then trace the Regiments that now make up the Royal
                                  Anglian Regiment!!

                                  Cheers

                                  P**
                                  Now, if you think US Regimental histories and designations are
                                  complicated, just check this out:

                                  Fielding's Regiment of Invalids raised in 1719, became the 41st
                                  Regiment in 1751. On the 1760s it became a proper Line Regiment.
                                  During the War of 1812 two battalions were raised, but were shortlived
                                  as separate organizations, because they were combined at the end of
                                  1813 - with a surfeit of officers. ................

                                  So, the question "Who's your daddy?" is an extremely complicated one
                                  when it comes to British Regimental Histories.

                                  Ray Hobbs, Sgt
                                  CO 41st Regiment of Foot
                                  HQ Hamilton, Ontario

                                  The Canadas 1799-1815

                                  http://fortyfirst.tripod.com/index2.htm

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  square miles...

                                • ebclemson
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                    Steve and Tim,

                                    No disagreement here. However, the "Official" U.S. Army Lingeage book, that you can purchase at U.S. Government book stores today, will State that the Third Infantry "official" lineage is from the 1st Infantry, and so on and so on. Each Battalion of the 3rd for example, traces exactly back to each company of the 1815 regiment. Company A, B, C, etc. The pre-1815 army did not have Letter company designations, each company was known for their Captain.

                                    I agree that the Army Lineage takes credit from the Pre-War regiment and the pre-war regiments that were consolidated into the Post war regiment. The regiments were assigned to the senoirity of the Col. commanding. Thus the Senoir Col. received the Post War 1st Infy., the next senoir the 2nd, and so on.

                                    The Third Infantry today traces their history to the formation of the "First American regiment".

                                    I personally agree that the regiment is the regiment is the regiment. "Have your Cake and eat it to." Yep, must be an Army Motto!

                                    Steve, received our new First Infantry Regimental Color and it is terrific! Can't wait to honor it in the company of the 7th's Regimental & Standard!

                                    Will we see you in April?

                                    Your Pard, Dave Bennett 1st Infy. & Missouri Rangers.

                                  • Steve Abolt
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 8, 2003
                                      David,

                                      Another excellent book on Army Lineage and Battle
                                      Honors is published by the Department of Defense. It
                                      attempts to address many of the issues dicussed in the
                                      earlier posts.

                                      My heartiest congratulations on the new stand of
                                      Colors!!!!

                                      What an honor to have them unfurled once again.

                                      Still working on April. Keep your fingers crossed.

                                      All the best,
                                      S.
                                      --- ebclemson <ebclemson@...> wrote:

                                      > Steve and Tim,
                                      >
                                      > No disagreement here. However, the "Official" U.S.
                                      > Army Lingeage book, that you can purchase at U.S.
                                      > Government book stores today, > Steve, received
                                      our new First Infantry Regimental
                                      > Color and it is terrific! Can't wait to honor it in
                                      > the company of the 7th's Regimental & Standard!
                                      >
                                      > Will we see you in April?
                                      >
                                      > Your Pard, Dave Bennett 1st Infy. & Missouri
                                      > Rangers.

                                      =====
                                      Cottonbalers, By God!

                                      visit our website at www.cottonbalers.lynchburg.net

                                      http://tax.yahoo.com
                                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 9, 2003
                                        With all this muddled and befuddled tracing of units' lineages, I feel safe
                                        to say:
                                        We is glad to be in the 93rd!
                                        (And, oh yes, I am quite aware of 1881, Singapore, and the early 1960s.)

                                        93rd SHRoFLHU
                                        THE Thin Red Line
                                        www.93rdhighlanders.com