Fw: School of Instruction

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2003
      F. Y. I.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Peter Twist
      To: Larry Lozon
      Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 11:49 PM
      Subject: School of Instruction

      Please find attached the final schedule for the school of instruction.
      Please pass it on to anyone who may be interested.

      I look forward to seeing everyone on the 12th.
      Accomodation at the Fort is available both Friday and Saturday nights.

      Peter

      FORT YORK
      CROWN FORCES
      War of 1812 School of Instruction
      for Officers & NCOs Infantry & Artillery

      Note: Cost for Saturday only $5.00, both days $15.00

      INFANTRY - Saturday April 12, 2003

      8:00 AM to 9:00 AM - Registration (Blue Barracks)

      9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon - topics - Opening Remarks - P. Twist

      - Musket safety - P. Schaef, R. Wardle, P. Twist
      - (including tools, maintenance and firing)
      -
      - Inspection exercise - K. Purvis
      -
      - Short Troop - K. Purvis, R. Flowers
      -
      - Brief explanation of uniform and equipment chronology - P. Twist

      12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM - lunch provided on site by Jessup Foods in Blue
      Barracks
      - $5.00 per participant

      1:00 PM to 4:00 PM - topics - Turns on the March - K. Purvis, P.
      Twist
      -
      - Obliquing on the March - K. Purvis, P. Twist
      -
      - Shoulders Forward - K. Purvis, P. Twist
      -
      - Wheels - K. Purvis, P. Twist
      -
      - Front rank kneeling - K. Purvis, P. Twist

      *Notes: 1. All participants should attend in uniform with musket and belting
      regardless of rank.
      2. You are expected to supply your own cartridges. ( one box will be
      ample)
      3.Barracks space is available both Friday and Saturday nights for those
      requiring it.

      ______________________

      ARTILLERY - Sunday April 13, 2003 NOTE: $5.00 fee/participant for powder

      8:00 AMto 9:00 AM - Registration (Blue Barracks)

      9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon - topics - Opening Remarks - Ed Anderson
      -
      - Artillery exhibit tour & discussion - Ed Anderson
      -
      - Orientation video on evolution of Artillery - Ed Anderson
      -
      - Gunnery theory and safety - Ed Anderson

      12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM - lunch provided on site by Jessup Foods in Blue
      Barracks
      - $5.00 per participant

      1:00 PM to 4:00 PM - topics - Lab work (preparation of tubes &
      rounds) - Ed
      Anderson, K.
      Purvis
      -
      - Practical gun drill and firing - Ed Anderson,
      K. Purvis

      *Notes: 1.Artillery School open for all smooth bore muzzle loading
      artillery regardless of era.
      2. This is not a certification course but those completing the course will
      receive a "Mattross" certificate of attendance.
      3. Ideally, both mortars and guns will be demonstrated.

      LL ~ AdC
      Crown Forces

    • Lalozon
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2006
        ==============================

        "TO:

        CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA"

        Unit Commanders,

        Please Inform your members

        ==============================

        I forward the following per Peter Twist

        L. Lozon ~ AdC
        Crown Forces North America
        ==============================

        FORT YORK
        War of 1812 School of Instruction for Officers & NCOs

        Infantry & Artillery

        Note: Cost for Saturday only $6.00, both days $18.00

        INFANTRY - Saturday April 22, 2006

        8:00 AM to 9:00 AM - Registration (Blue Barracks)
        9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon -

        Topics -

        Opening Remarks - P. Twist. K. Purvis
        Insurance for re-enactors - Dave Brunelle
        Safe Range experimentation video - P. Twist
        Parks black powder safety video - E. Anderson
        March Pace - K. Purvis. R. Flowers, J. Everett
        Military funerals/reverse arms - K. Purvis

        12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM - lunch provided on site in Blue Barracks - $6.00 per
        participant

        1:00 PM to 4:00 PM -

        Topics -

        March Pace practice - K. Purvis, R. Flowers
        Position of Officers/sergeants on parade - D. DeCroix
        Oblique firings, "locking up", firing in three ranks - P. Twist, P. Schaef
        Shoulders Forward vs. Wheels - K. Purvis, P. Twist, K. Windsor
        Pike Drill - P. Twist, P. Monahan

        *Notes:

        1. All participants should attend in uniform with musket and belting
        regardless of rank.
        2. You are expected to supply your own cartridges. (one box will be ample)
        3.Barracks space is available both Friday and Saturday nights for those
        requiring it.

        ARTILLERY - Sunday April 23, 2006 NOTE: $6.00 fee/participant for powder

        8:00 AMto 9:00 AM - Registration (Blue Barracks)
        9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon -

        Topics -

        Opening Remarks - Ed Anderson
        Insurance for re-enactors - Dave Brunelle
        Video - live firing of Civil War fortress gun - Ed Anderson
        Gun line firing - each gun introduced by individual crew
        Gun firing - rapid then massed

        12:00 Noon to 1:00 PM - lunch provided on site by in Blue Barracks - $6.00
        per participant

        1:00 PM to 4:00 PM -

        Topics -

        Lab work (preparation of tubes & rounds) - Ed Anderson, K. Purvis
        Practical gun drill and firing - Ed Anderson,
        K. Purvis, E. Wardle

        *Notes:

        1.Artillery School open for all smooth bore muzzle loading artillery
        regardless of era.
        2. This is not a certification course but those completing the course will
        receive a "Mattross" certificate of attendance.
        3. Ideally, both mortars and guns will be demonstrated.

        Apr. 22-23 Crown Forces School, Fort York, Toronto

        Sat Apr. 22 Infantry Officer & NCO School of Instruction
        ('ONLY' Crown Forces Officers and NCO's to attend)

        Sat Apr.22 Historical Cooking Workshop
        (Only Registered Crown Forces cooks encouraged to attend)

        Sun Apr.23 Artillery Officer & Crew School of Instruction
        (Crown Forces Artillery Officers/Crews encouraged to attend)

      • spikeyj@crosslink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2006
          Today's Baltimore Sun (and I assume other papers; the writer is from
          the L.A. Times) had an article about a Civil War re-enactment in
          Selma, Alabama that had to be called off because of lack of re-enactor
          participation. In 1995, they had 2,000 re-enactors on the field, but
          they had less than 200 registered for this year.

          Although a number of other factors were thought to contribute to the
          decline (a national decline in Civil War re-enactors, the changing
          demographics of Selma, the price of gas), the reason that got the most
          coverage in the article was "competing visions of just how authentic a
          battlefield re-enactment should be."

          Quoting from the article, "Many Alabama re-enactors said they stopped
          attending because it had become too elitist."

          "'It was getting to the point where we weren't exactly welcomed with
          open arms,' said Roger Brothers, captain of the 62nd Alabama. 'The
          stitch counters had taken over. If you didn't have what they
          considered to be the sufficient authentic kit, they looked down their
          noses at you.'"

          "The purist re-enactors have become more vocal in their quest for
          strict authenticity. Ken Sumner, brigadier general and president of
          the Alabama Division of Civil War Reenactors Inc., said he stopped
          attending the Battle of Selma several years ago after some of his
          units were excluded."

          I think there may be a lesson here.

          Spike Y Jones
        • Gordon Deans
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2006
            Larry,

            Is there any up-to-date information regarding the School of Cooking on the
            22nd - 23rd weekend?

            Gord Deans

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2006
              Quoting Gordon Deans <gord.deans@...>:

              Larry, Is there any up-to-date information regarding the School of Cooking on
              the 22nd - 23rd weekend?

              Gord

              I have posted what was sent to me

              Roland Wardle has informed me that the Cooking School is sold out
              The attendees will be given their itinerary when attending

              I am at work at the present and do not have access to Mr. Wardle?s email
              address but if you have the original email re: the School his eddress is
              posted

              PS: Charlie Fitton has emailed me directly about the cooking School and I have
              answered him

              Yrs.,
              L2

            • Dale Kidd
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2006
                For attendance at the various schools of instruction, what dress is
                considered appropriate? I am assuming that our period uniforms are
                proper for the artillery school, but what about those attending the
                cooking school? Do they also need to wear period dress?

                Thanks,
                Dale