Re: - the debate about Brig Niagara clothes

  • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 1999
      In a message dated 6/24/99 10:47:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
      lalozon@... writes:

      << I can't eat the fact that it is safer, or
      cheaper, as I said the ship, and site
      is great, but you have a couple ole
      farts who don't want to play the game
      and they have either the money or
      political clout to have it their way,
      one being the Sailing Master! >>

      I think you have it Larry. There are quite a lot of people connected with
      'historical' projects who are there because of political or social reasons.
      Most of these types see anything that doesn't come from Brooks Brothers as
      'fancy dress' and not serious, therefore something not to be done.

      When I joined the Sea Cadets (MANY years ago) the reason for the uniform was
      explained and very logical it was too. The uniform of the early 19th c was
      all based on safety clothing, Particularly trousers that would come off
      without removing shoes in case you fell in the water and had to swim for it.
      All I can say it that if they think that T-shirts and shorts are safer they
      must also ride their Harlies without helmets!