Re: [WarOf1812] ..... can't afford it!

  • Susan Spencer McLean
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
      Larry Lozon wrote:

      >And,
      >that is not to comment on the looming threat of war in the Middle East,
      >the tightening up at the USA/CANADA border,
      >and new events, on an already busy dance card
      >which will all effect attendance at Living History events in 2003.

      I'm delighted to report that, despite the current world situation, my
      crossing both to the US and returning to Canada, through commercial
      Customs with complete sutlery in tow, at Sarnia/Port Huron (the same
      place that I spent 7+1/2 hours in the Customs yard in October 2001) this
      past weekend was the easiest I have ever had. Ever. Touch wood that
      this keeps up!

      According to a Canadian Customs officer to whom I spoke, event
      organizers can make matters easier for re-enactors crossing the border
      by (a) alerting the appropriate border crossings that the event is
      taking place, providing them with brochures on the event, and indicating
      the approximate number of people that they expect to cross into the
      pertinent country, and (b) providing each and every registered
      re-enactor coming across the border in either direction with a letter of
      invitation to the event and an event brochure that matches the brochure
      provided to the Customs agents. The same officer also strongly
      recommended taking the time and effort to get a passport (note that in
      Canada the forms and requirements have changed considerably, and that
      the time required to obtain a passport has expanded correspondingly --
      as has the fee), for both Canadian and American citizens. Landed
      Immigrants in Canada and US Green Card carriers will also need to carry
      appropriate documentation with them to ease their return to their
      countries of residence.

      As of Monday morning, Canadians will be cheered to know that gas in
      Michigan was still CDN$0.10/litre cheaper than at home. Which does help
      a bit with travelling expenses -- as does the fact that the US dollar
      traded today at CDN$1.45 to 1.50, as opposed to in the range of $1.59,
      where it was as little as two weeks ago.

      Al the best,
      -- Sioux
    • Sara
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
        Heritage workers like myself are already feeling the effects of
        potential war. Attendance at historic sites has continued to
        decrease since Sept. 11th and there is a significant loss in revenue
        across the board already :( (before tourist season even started).
        Needless to say many Niagara historic sites will be opening closer
        to summer than spring this year. We may be in for some quiet events!

        Sara

        <snip>
        ...have been in contact with some re-enactors (various time periods)
        who
        have reported that work layoffs, gasoline prices, exchange on the
        American
        dollar ... will all curtail their attendance at events this year.

        Not trying to open a Pandora's Box just reporting the facts.

      • mdhistorybooks@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003

        • mdhistorybooks@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
            susan@... writes:

            > Larry Lozon wrote:
            >
            > >And,
            > >that is not to comment on the looming threat of war in the Middle East,
            > >the tightening up at the USA/CANADA border,
            > >and new events, on an already busy dance card
            > >which will all effect attendance at Living History events in 2003.
            > >

            > I'm delighted to report that, despite the current world situation, my
            > crossing both to the US and returning to Canada, through commercial
            > Customs with complete sutlery in tow, at Sarnia/Port Huron (the same
            > place that I spent 7+1/2 hours in the Customs yard in October 2001) this
            > past weekend was the easiest I have ever had. Ever. Touch wood that
            > this keeps up!

            Hopefully this war will be over in short order and we can all invade each
            other in peace :) . Please bear in mind that there is a subsidized bus
            coming from Canada to the event at Jefferson- Patterson Park at the end of
            Sept.. We could use a few more Redcoats!

            Ted Yeatman
            1st Md. Rifle BN.
            Fell's Point Rifles

            P.S. I understand the HMS Bounty will be at the D.C. Naval Yard for the
            Cherry Blossom Festival from this weekend through April 6.