Fw: Safe Explosives Act

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2003
      Attention Canadian Units !

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Doug DeCroix" <d_squared6@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 11:42 AM
      Subject: Safe Explosives Act

      Gentlemen:

      I have done some quick checking on this new explosives legislation that has
      everyone up in arms, and from what I have read so far, it is the tempest in
      a teacup that I imagined it would be.

      Here are the basics, I will follow with more later, plus I have chapter and
      verse for anyone who is so inclined.

      The Safe Explosives Act is designed to apply to COMMERCIAL traffic in
      explosives. It is designed to close a loophole which previously had allowed
      non-immigrant aliens to transport explosives into the US via commercial
      truck or ship. The act encourages firms which engage in this type of
      importation to use "American" transporters, rather than sneaky foreigners
      who we haven't checked out yet.

      OK-- so that is what the act does. Here is what it does NOT do . . .
      Under Chapter 40, section 845 of the United States Code (Chapter 40 is the
      chapter which regulates all this stuff, by the way) "commercially
      manufactured black powder in quantities not to exceed fifty (50) pounds,
      percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow
      matches, and friction primers, intended to be used solely for sporting,
      recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms" are exempt from all
      of this.

      THIS EXEMPTION HAS NOT BEEN ALTERED BY THE SAFE EXPLOSIVES ACT!!!!!

      Therefore--- if no one brings over 50 pounds of black powder to our event in
      a semi truck or commercial ship, we should have no problems...

      Having said that-- it makes sense to employ logical precautions, as we all
      know the dweeb in the booth at bridge "X" on day "Y" may not be as up on all
      of this as we are. So-- I will be STRONGLY suggesting to any units who plan
      on attending our event from Canada to make sure all of your members have a
      copy of our invitation and my work phone number. We will, of course, be
      working from our end of things to smooth the border traffic a la 2001.
      Local customs officials at the Lewiston bridge have always been very
      helpful, and I have no reason to believe this will change.

      Please feel free to pass this along to anyone who is interested. If anyone
      has questions, I can discuss this further over the phone or give you chapter
      and verse-- all of this exists in writing-- it is not hearsay.

      I would like to reserve a few minutes of the 1812 Officer's/NCO's School at
      Fort York (Toronto) April 12-13, 2003 to go over this with everyone in
      person.
      That way everything is out in the open and no rumors spread that can do us
      damage.

      Thanks for all the input and updates gentlemen. I think we have a pretty
      good handle on things now, and can work to avoid any problems this fall.

      Talk to everyone soon.

      Doug DeCroix
      Old Fort Niagara
      http://www.oldfortniagara.org/