Ned Meyers

  • Rich Parkinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <tuckahoe@...>

      > For an excellent first hand account from one of the sailors of the
      > Hamilton, read "Ned Myers, A Life Before the Mast" by James Fenimore
      > Cooper.

      I have been wanting to check this one out for some time but it looks like
      its last reprint was in 1989.
      It can be found at your friendly neighbourhood AMAZON.COM but at the
      unfriendly price of $53. (CDN)
      So....for those who've had the chance to read it, is it worth the price or
      should one search it out at a library?

      R. Parkinson
    • Tom Apple <tuckahoe@pinn.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Parkinson"
        <rich.parkinson@s...> wrote:
        > I have been wanting to check this one out for some time but it looks
        like
        > its last reprint was in 1989.
        > It can be found at your friendly neighbourhood AMAZON.COM but at the
        > unfriendly price of $53. (CDN)
        > So....for those who've had the chance to read it, is it worth the
        price or
        > should one search it out at a library?

        Rich,

        I would buy it. I bought mine in the 1980's for $36US and had to
        special order it then. It is a Naval Institute Press book and is
        nicely bound with quality paper and even a ribbon bookmark. It has
        incredible detail on the workings of a maritime career, both military
        and civilian. Myers was born in Halifax, N.S., son to a career British
        officer who was an aid to Prince Edward. Prince Edward was also
        godfather to Ned and father of the future Queen Victoria. He got out
        of Halifax by stowing away on a ship to New York. Later he was
        shipmates with James Fenimore Cooper, to whom he recounted his life
        story upon retirement. It covers about a 40 year period starting
        around 1806.

        Regards,

        Tom A.
      • petemonahan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2003
          Tom

          If you punch "birdsandbooks zshop" into your search engine (WITH the space,
          just as typed there) you should get a sub-set service of Amazon which
          connects to Birds and Books in Connecticut, nr Hartford. They have a
          "fine/no jacket" copy of Ned Myer for $25.00 US - bit friendlier than $53.00!
          I don't know theses peole, was jsut "surfing" and found them, but the get
          4.5/5 stars on Amazon's customer driven used book listings. For what its
          worth. Cheers.

          Peter Monahan
          petemonahan@...
          705-435-0953