Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Songs and More

  • petemonahan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2003
      Dave, Peggy et al

      To add my mite ti the disgustion: there is a great new CD/tape called Red
      Coats & Blue Jackets all songs guaranteed period or very close - liner notes
      make clear which (e.g. "Boney Was a Warrior", a chanty includes his death on
      St. Helena so must at least slightly post-date the War.

      Its put out by Fredrick Carsted of The De Meuron Reg't. and the Winnipeg
      group Simpson's Folly. My copy is not here, but the address is available at
      the Red River Redcaots site or from carstedf@.... A very good disc at a
      very good price ($25.00) with great liner notes and the songs sung the period
      way - at a marching soldiers pace, for e.g., for British Grenadiers. Worth
      having for the sound and you could always transcribe the lyrics, Though
      Fredrick may have them available too. (I seem to recall that was part of the
      original plan.)

      Hope this helps.

      Peter Monahan
      petemonahan@...
      705-435-0953

    • Len Heidebrecht <lheidebrecht@Lycos.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2003
        The Songs and Music of the Redcoats, came out as a book and an LP
        (remember those thingees?) in 1971. On the LP The Druids (Keith
        Kendrick, John Adams and Mick Hennessey) are accompanied by musicians
        from the band of the Scots Guards and cover the period 1642-1902. The
        LP has some notes but the book really fills out the information
        nicely.
        Cheers,
        Len