Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Battle of New Orleans ~ Humbert

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 3, 2003
      (snip)
      > Funny, I have always perceived a compulsion to discredit Welly, for the
      whole
      > of his career they try to claim he was fighting the 'second rank' and when
      he
      > comprehensively kicks Naps backside they call it a fluke!

      I guess one man's fluke is another man's New Orleans. A question of
      perspective. Which attempts to bring us back to the initial discussion of
      the raising of a single battalion of militia.

      I've never had anything but respect for "Welly" and his accomplishments.
      But while Napoleon fans freely admit his mistakes and cover-ups (or at least
      I do), Wellington seems to walk on water. I would have to call the Waterloo
      outcome to be the only probable result given the realities. The "what ifs"
      make interesting discussion.

      Michael
    • flaterritory
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 15, 2014

        I don't have as far to go as many of you, and just moved 450 miles closer to New Orleans, so it only takes me 6.5 hours to drive there now.  I will say start making reservations now, and I am planning it to be the event of a lifetime.  The warm weather was mentioned, but come prepared for anything because it could also be below freezing during the day as it was in 2010.  This year was on the warm side, but that is not always the case.

        Sincerely,

        Chris Kimball in Florida