Re: US 1813 Pat coatee

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2003
      Dear Dave,

      > Can anyone recommend a source for a good, authentic pattern for an
      > 1812/1813 pattern coatee?

      There is a new US coatee pattern taken from an extant garment available
      from Past Patterns now. You can view, and purchase if you wish, through our
      secure website. URL in tagline. I have not used it myself, but based upon
      previous experience and reputation of Past Patterns, I would have to say
      it's likely a spot-on, well-engineered pattern.

      Regards
      Lorina
      supplies
      (519) 799-5577, fax (519) 799-5418 http://www.5rivers.org email:
      info@...
    • Brian Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2003
        Dave,

        The pattern that Lorina refers to is for the very
        early period of 1799-1810. In 1810 the uniform
        changed to a short coat with a single breasted front
        and short tails that ended at mid thigh rather than
        the back of the knee. Steve Abolt produces a very
        fine reproduction of the 1813 pattern coat which I
        purchased from him as a kit. Our unit website,
        http://members.cox.net/2varegiment, has images of the
        1812 pattern coatee and the 1813 pattern coatee. Look
        at these and compare them to the pattern that Past
        Patterns has and you will see the difference
        immediately.

        Of course you can try the sutlers C.D. Jarnigan and G.
        Gedney Godwin who will sell you a completed garment.
        Good luck in your search.

        Brian Howard
        2nd Virginia Regiment, 1813-1815.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com