Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Battle of New Orleans ~ Humbert

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 2 7:24 PM
      In a message dated 2/2/2003 8:22:24 PM Central Standard Time,
      ciefranche21e@... writes:

      > Oh I don't know, maybe because France stood alone against Europe?

      I think France's 'standing alone against Europe' had quite a lot to do with
      the fact that Nap was intent on conquering everyone who refused to toady to
      him. ;-)

      Even the

      > vaunted Moore and Wellington knew when even their "tactics that so often in
      > had made them victorious in Europe" meant nothing in the face of the odds.
      > ;-) (i.e. Walchern 1809, Retreat to Corunna 1809, Retreat to Torres Verdes
      > 1810, Retreat from Burgos 1812, etc.)

      Quite true, when the French could muster overwhelming numbers superior
      strategy and tactics could be overwhelmed. However as he sat on his little
      Principality I am sure the great emperor was forced to think that
      Wellington's tactics might have been better. I am sure a year later, when he
      was sitting on an even smaller island in the South Atlantic, where he was not
      a princeling but a prisoner, he had been convinced of the superiority of
      Wellington's tactics. Even if he didn't admit it! :-)

    • flaterritory
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 15, 2014

        I don't have as far to go as many of you, and just moved 450 miles closer to New Orleans, so it only takes me 6.5 hours to drive there now.  I will say start making reservations now, and I am planning it to be the event of a lifetime.  The warm weather was mentioned, but come prepared for anything because it could also be below freezing during the day as it was in 2010.  This year was on the warm side, but that is not always the case.

        Sincerely,

        Chris Kimball in Florida