Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Battle of New Orleans ~ Humbert

  • PEGGY MATHEWS
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 2, 2003
      (snip)
      > > letter stating that they "would be commanded by French speaking
      > > officers familiar with the tactics that so often had made them
      > > victorious in Europe."
      > >

      > One wonders why none of his recruits asked him, if the tactics had made
      them
      > victorious in Europe, why Napoleon was taking a little 'holiday' on Elba
      at
      > the moment? But perhaps he wasn't recruiting the type that asked
      questions:-)

      Oh I don't know, maybe because France stood alone against Europe? Even the
      vaunted Moore and Wellington knew when even their "tactics that so often in
      had made them victorious in Europe" meant nothing in the face of the odds.
      ;-) (i.e. Walchern 1809, Retreat to Corunna 1809, Retreat to Torres Verdes
      1810, Retreat from Burgos 1812, etc.)

      Michael
    • flaterritory
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 15, 2014

        I don't have as far to go as many of you, and just moved 450 miles closer to New Orleans, so it only takes me 6.5 hours to drive there now.  I will say start making reservations now, and I am planning it to be the event of a lifetime.  The warm weather was mentioned, but come prepared for anything because it could also be below freezing during the day as it was in 2010.  This year was on the warm side, but that is not always the case.

        Sincerely,

        Chris Kimball in Florida