Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Battle of New Orleans ~ Humbert

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 2, 2003
      In a message dated 2/2/2003 7:57:31 AM Central Standard Time,
      charlespk66@... writes:

      > He went on the San Domingo expedition and
      > returned to France as one of the personal escorts of Marshall
      > Leclerc's widow, Pauline Bonaparte.

      Like most of Pauline Bonaparte's 'personal escorts' he got rather too
      familiar with Napoleon who lost no time in cutting him off at the knees. The
      fact that his military career was finished was his main inducement to leave
      France.

      Not liking Napoleon's shift from

      > republic to empire, he sailed for New Orleans. There he counted
      > amoung his drinking buddies Jean Lafitie and Dominique You. He
      > helped recruit local Frenchmen for the Battle of New Orleans with a
      > letter stating that they "would be commanded by French speaking
      > officers familiar with the tactics that so often had made them
      > victorious in Europe."

      One wonders why none of his recruits asked him, if the tactics had made them
      victorious in Europe, why Napoleon was taking a little 'holiday' on Elba at
      the moment? But perhaps he wasn't recruiting the type that asked questions:-)

      As far as his previous career is concerned he was indeed the commander of the
      disastrous 'Year of the French' in Ireland; when he was defeated at the
      battle of Ballinamuck a young cornet of the 26th Light Dragoons was fighting
      his first battle, one Edward Michael Pakenham!

    • flaterritory
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 15, 2014

        I don't have as far to go as many of you, and just moved 450 miles closer to New Orleans, so it only takes me 6.5 hours to drive there now.  I will say start making reservations now, and I am planning it to be the event of a lifetime.  The warm weather was mentioned, but come prepared for anything because it could also be below freezing during the day as it was in 2010.  This year was on the warm side, but that is not always the case.

        Sincerely,

        Chris Kimball in Florida