Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Battle of New Orleans ~ Humbert

  • MCARTHUR JAMES
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 2, 2003
      Hey, it sounds as though I should enlist in his regiment!
      So, tell me, re-enactors all: how would a Creole militiaman, organized or unorganized, have dressed, been armed, etc.?
      Jim

      "charlespk66 <charlespk66@...>" <charlespk66@...> wrote:--- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
      wrote:

      > even General Humbert, a former French General, who fought for
      > Louisiana.
      >

      > Charles,
      >
      > Is this the same General Humbert who was involved with the Rising
      of the
      > United Irishmen in 1798?
      >
      > P**

      Yes, it was the same general. General Jean Amable Humbert fought the
      Royalists at Vendee in 1792, he fought in Prussia with Hoche and
      later Humbert and Hoche were sent to Irleand. Humbert then commanded
      the army of the Danube. He went on the San Domingo expedition and
      returned to France as one of the personal escorts of Marshall
      Leclerc's widow, Pauline Bonaparte. Not liking Napoleon's shift from
      republic to empire, he sailed for New Orleans. There he counted
      amoung his drinking buddies Jean Lafitie and Dominique You. He
      helped recruit local Frenchmen for the Battle of New Orleans with a
      letter stating that they "would be commanded by French speaking
      officers familiar with the tactics that so often had made them
      victorious in Europe."

      Charles

    • flaterritory
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 15, 2014

        I don't have as far to go as many of you, and just moved 450 miles closer to New Orleans, so it only takes me 6.5 hours to drive there now.  I will say start making reservations now, and I am planning it to be the event of a lifetime.  The warm weather was mentioned, but come prepared for anything because it could also be below freezing during the day as it was in 2010.  This year was on the warm side, but that is not always the case.

        Sincerely,

        Chris Kimball in Florida