Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Congreve Rocket Battery

  • Ted Y.
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
      Scott,
      A few years ago I heard of a Napoleonic
      Reenactment outfit in Germany doing King's German
      Legion, that reportedly had a Congreve battery. I've
      tried to see if I could locate a contact to find out
      more. The Smithsonan published a book on Congreves and
      may have some in its collection. They did some
      preservation work on some rockets a while back. I got
      Mike Bennett a copy of the Congreve book there before
      it went out of print. Had lots of illustrations.
      Now for getting something to shoot, I have
      wondered about this myself. You might have to use some
      sort of Special effects/pyrotecnics to do this. See
      the movie "Gettysburg" where they have the lit shells
      flying over the troops.Something like that might be
      possible, particularly for, say, a night bombardment
      simulation a la St. Michaels, Md. in 1813. SPeaking
      of "Gettysburg", "Gods and Generals", the prequel is
      due in theaters on Feb. 21. I've seen the trailer and
      it looks good. Was in "Gettysburg" in 1992.

      Y.H.&.O.S.

      Ted Yeatman
      1st Md. Rifle Bn.
      Fell's Point Rifles [uniform pending!]

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
        In a message dated 2/1/2003 8:28:17 AM Central Standard Time,
        pimpernel77@... writes:

        > .
        > Now for getting something to shoot, I have
        > wondered about this myself. You might have to use some
        > sort of Special effects/pyrotecnics to do this. See
        > the movie "Gettysburg" where they have the lit shells
        > flying over the troops.Something like that might be
        > possible, particularly for, say, a night bombardment
        > simulation a la St. Michaels, Md. in 1813.

        Some may have seen the rockets piece on 'Mail Call'. This was shot a few
        years ago in England for a History Channel show call 'Rockets' (surprise
        surprise) but the interview with Mark Dennis was not used. The rockets were
        constructed by Mike Crawshaw using Pringles crisp (chip) boxes. They all flew
        remarkably well, as did the originals when not shaken up by land transport.

      • abateman
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
          From: "Ted Y." <pimpernel77@...>

          > Now for getting something to shoot, I have
          > wondered about this myself. You might have to use some
          > sort of Special effects/pyrotecnics to do this.

          The two Congreve guys who show up at events in Ontario do just that. I've
          only seen their activities from a distance but they appear to place a small
          dummy rocket in the launching chute containing a small airburst pyrotechnic
          (possibly a home firework), then light it. When the pyrotechnic has fired
          and burst over the field, they remove the dummy rocket from the launching
          chute and replace it with another. The "rocket" itself never actually
          launches.

          When I was a member of a militia artillery regiment, there was a framed
          cartoon on the wall of our armoury showing a jumble of infantrymen attacking
          each other with knives and rifle butts while in the foreground an officer in
          a pink 18th century frock coat with a glass of champagne in his hand was
          leaning over to touch off a dainty cannon at them. The caption was
          "Artillery lends a touch of class to what would otherwise be a vulgar
          brawl." For me those rocket guys produce a similar comic effect at events.
          Their uniforms are very ornate and they never seem to get them dirty.

          Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
            From: "abateman" <abateman@...>

            The two Congreve guys who show up at events in Ontario
            ... place a small dummy rocket in the launching chute containing a
            small airburst pyrotechnic ... Their uniforms are very ornate and they
            never seem to get them dirty.

            His name is Frederico. He and his father are the battery. The son designed
            the dummy rockets and launcher and uses bird banger missiles that make
            a noise with a small explosion in air. His uniform is impeccable.

            As most sites do not allowed propelled objects on the battlefields this is
            as close to a rocket they can get to and keep within Parks Canada Black
            Powder Rules.