Congreve Rocket Battery

  • scottjez2001 <sjeznach@westgov.com>
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003
      I met someone here in the Maryland area interested in creating
      Congreve Rockets with the possibility of using them in War of 1812
      interpretations.

      I remember seeing a Royal Artillery Rocket Battery at Fort Erie last
      year. Does anyone know how to contact that unit?

      Thanks for the help.

      Scott J.
      Royal Marines
    • johnwhiteshirt <primeandload@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003
        More Congreve Rockets at 1812 events, DUCK and COVER!
      • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 28, 2003
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "scottjez2001 <sjeznach@w...>"
          <sjeznach@w...> wrote:
          > I met someone here in the Maryland area interested in creating
          > Congreve Rockets with the possibility of using them in War of 1812
          > interpretations.
          >
          > I remember seeing a Royal Artillery Rocket Battery at Fort Erie
          last
          > year. Does anyone know how to contact that unit?

          Scott:

          Don't.

          RF
        • pamelalynn36 <pamelalynn36@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2003
            Scott,
            We are working with a company to recreate reproduction congreve
            rockets for an 1812 exhibit that will be going up at Jefferson
            Patterson Park and Museum when our new visitor center is completed.
            I doubt that our rockets will fire, but I would have to check with
            our exhibit folks.

            The company we are working with is Sea Reach, LTD, PO Box 112, Rose
            Lodge, OR 97372. The price we have been quoted for the first one is
            $1,500. Subsequent pieces might be less, as they have already done
            the design work. Let me know if you need additional information.

            Pam Shubert
            JPPM

            <sjeznach@w...> wrote:
            > I met someone here in the Maryland area interested in creating
            > Congreve Rockets with the possibility of using them in War of 1812
            > interpretations.
            >
            > I remember seeing a Royal Artillery Rocket Battery at Fort Erie
            last
            > year. Does anyone know how to contact that unit?
            >
            > Thanks for the help.
            >
            > Scott J.
            > Royal Marines
          • Scott Jeznach
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2003
              Scott,
              We are working with a company to recreate reproduction congreve
              rockets for an 1812 exhibit that will be going up at Jefferson
              Patterson Park and Museum when our new visitor center is completed.
              I doubt that our rockets will fire, but I would have to check with
              our exhibit folks.

              The company we are working with is Sea Reach, LTD, PO Box 112, Rose
              Lodge, OR 97372. The price we have been quoted for the first one is
              $1,500. Subsequent pieces might be less, as they have already done
              the design work. Let me know if you need additional information.

              >Pam:

              >Thanks for the information. I will pass it on to the gentleman in question. The irony is that he got the idea to look into the rockets after seeing the graphic model at your park.

              >I believe he is interested in constructing a firing model. So if anyone on this group knows how to contact the RA Battery I mentioned in my previous post, I will pass the information onto the inquirer.

              Scott J.
              Royal Marines.

            • Tom Apple <tuckahoe@pinn.net>
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 30, 2003
                Greetings Liste,

                Since the talk of Congreve rockets, I thought some of you may find
                this period newspaper account might be interesting.

                Regards,

                Tom Apple

                *********************************
                _Norfolk and Portsmouth Herald_
                March 10, 1813

                Congreve Rockets.
                As Congreve rockets are now much the talk, and it is not improbable
                that we may both hear and see them the ensuing summer, and as we have
                catched a few of them in a British transport ship, the following brief
                account of them may be amusing, perhaps useful, to some of our readers.

                These tremendous engines of destruction, which were invented by a
                British officer, from whom they derive their name, were first used
                with any considerable effect by the British in the destruction of the
                neutral city of Copenhagen. As we are now at war with the same power
                which first employed these terrible missives, in reducing to ashes the
                peaceful capital of an unoffending power, we have little reason to
                expect that during our continuance, our sea-ports will remain exempt
                from a similar visitation. Some information as to their nature may now
                be necessary.

                The composition of the rockets formerly was four pounds sulphur, one
                pound charcoal, and one and a half pounds of nitre ? but the following
                proportions are now more generally adopted ? sulphur twelve ounces,
                nitre four pounds, charcoal (powdered) two pounds, to produce stars
                upon their explosion, various substances are mixed with combustible
                materials, as grain powder for the explosion, raw nitre, antimony,
                steel filings, brass filings, ising glass, and the composition is
                moistened with spirits of wine, with camphor, with turpentine, with
                vinegar.

                The barrels of the rockets are filed with the substance, driven in
                with a mallet ? the weight of which is proportioned to the weight of
                the rocket ? making is even reduced to such exactness, as that the
                number of strokes for each size, is laid down. The case of a two pound
                rocket, in its dimensions should be as follows.

                External diameter 2 inches 13-00
                Interior 1-1/2 inches
                Weight of mallet 1 pound
                Number of strokes 31

                The case is filled to 4-1/2 the length of the exterior diameter and a
                fifth of the diameter more with good clay. The staff of the rockets,
                from 50 to 52 diameters of the barrel in length.

                Rockets of three and four inches diameter, well made, will ascend 1200
                yards, perpendicular height; but the usual height 300 to 500 yards,
                which is performed in from five to ten seconds.

                With this much common rockets in view, we may more readily comprehend
                the nature and intent of the Congreve rockets.

                In their principles of construction, they differ from nothing from the
                Asiatic rockets, but in their materials and scientific aid, in their
                construction; the barrels are made of iron, and they are, when thrown,
                like common rockets attached to a staff of white ash or oak.

                Their superiority consists in the chymical purity of the materials,
                and their due proportions to each other; and in the powerful means
                used to compress the greatest possible quantity into the smaller compass.

                A 32 pound Congreve rocket, fired against common earth, penetrates
                nine feet at 1200 yards distance. They are infinitely superior to
                bombs and shells of the ancient fashion, and are without question, the
                most terrific instrument of destruction which has been discovered
                since the invention of gunpowder.
              • Brian Howard
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2003
                  Tom,

                  Great information on Congreve rockets. Legend has it
                  the first use of them in North America was during the
                  Battle of Craney Island. Have you seen this documented
                  in any of the local paper accounts?

                  Brian
                  2nd Va Regt, 1813-1815

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Tom Apple <tuckahoe@pinn.net>
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2003
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Brian Howard <chippokes@y...> wrote:

                    > Great information on Congreve rockets. Legend has it
                    > the first use of them in North America was during the
                    > Battle of Craney Island. Have you seen this documented
                    > in any of the local paper accounts?

                    Hey Brian,

                    I tried posting this once, but it hasn't shown up so I'm trying again.
                    Forgive me if it is a double posting.

                    Regards,

                    Tom

                    **********************

                    Norfolk Gazette and Public Ledger

                    June 23, 1813
                    Amphibious Operation against Craney Island Meets with Disaster [excerpt]
                    "...The enemy threw some rockets, but without effect..."

                    June 25, 1813
                    Lt. Col. H. Beatty's Report [excerpt]
                    "...It is a pleasure that I have to state to you that not a man was
                    lost on our part, the only weapon made use of by the enemy in the
                    course of the day, were Congreve rockets, a few which fell in our
                    encampment, though without injury..."
                  • Ted Y.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
                      Scott,
                      A few years ago I heard of a Napoleonic
                      Reenactment outfit in Germany doing King's German
                      Legion, that reportedly had a Congreve battery. I've
                      tried to see if I could locate a contact to find out
                      more. The Smithsonan published a book on Congreves and
                      may have some in its collection. They did some
                      preservation work on some rockets a while back. I got
                      Mike Bennett a copy of the Congreve book there before
                      it went out of print. Had lots of illustrations.
                      Now for getting something to shoot, I have
                      wondered about this myself. You might have to use some
                      sort of Special effects/pyrotecnics to do this. See
                      the movie "Gettysburg" where they have the lit shells
                      flying over the troops.Something like that might be
                      possible, particularly for, say, a night bombardment
                      simulation a la St. Michaels, Md. in 1813. SPeaking
                      of "Gettysburg", "Gods and Generals", the prequel is
                      due in theaters on Feb. 21. I've seen the trailer and
                      it looks good. Was in "Gettysburg" in 1992.

                      Y.H.&.O.S.

                      Ted Yeatman
                      1st Md. Rifle Bn.
                      Fell's Point Rifles [uniform pending!]

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 2/1/2003 8:28:17 AM Central Standard Time,
                        pimpernel77@... writes:

                        > .
                        > Now for getting something to shoot, I have
                        > wondered about this myself. You might have to use some
                        > sort of Special effects/pyrotecnics to do this. See
                        > the movie "Gettysburg" where they have the lit shells
                        > flying over the troops.Something like that might be
                        > possible, particularly for, say, a night bombardment
                        > simulation a la St. Michaels, Md. in 1813.

                        Some may have seen the rockets piece on 'Mail Call'. This was shot a few
                        years ago in England for a History Channel show call 'Rockets' (surprise
                        surprise) but the interview with Mark Dennis was not used. The rockets were
                        constructed by Mike Crawshaw using Pringles crisp (chip) boxes. They all flew
                        remarkably well, as did the originals when not shaken up by land transport.

                      • abateman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
                          From: "Ted Y." <pimpernel77@...>

                          > Now for getting something to shoot, I have
                          > wondered about this myself. You might have to use some
                          > sort of Special effects/pyrotecnics to do this.

                          The two Congreve guys who show up at events in Ontario do just that. I've
                          only seen their activities from a distance but they appear to place a small
                          dummy rocket in the launching chute containing a small airburst pyrotechnic
                          (possibly a home firework), then light it. When the pyrotechnic has fired
                          and burst over the field, they remove the dummy rocket from the launching
                          chute and replace it with another. The "rocket" itself never actually
                          launches.

                          When I was a member of a militia artillery regiment, there was a framed
                          cartoon on the wall of our armoury showing a jumble of infantrymen attacking
                          each other with knives and rifle butts while in the foreground an officer in
                          a pink 18th century frock coat with a glass of champagne in his hand was
                          leaning over to touch off a dainty cannon at them. The caption was
                          "Artillery lends a touch of class to what would otherwise be a vulgar
                          brawl." For me those rocket guys produce a similar comic effect at events.
                          Their uniforms are very ornate and they never seem to get them dirty.

                          Andrew Bateman, 41st Foot
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 1, 2003
                            From: "abateman" <abateman@...>

                            The two Congreve guys who show up at events in Ontario
                            ... place a small dummy rocket in the launching chute containing a
                            small airburst pyrotechnic ... Their uniforms are very ornate and they
                            never seem to get them dirty.

                            His name is Frederico. He and his father are the battery. The son designed
                            the dummy rockets and launcher and uses bird banger missiles that make
                            a noise with a small explosion in air. His uniform is impeccable.

                            As most sites do not allowed propelled objects on the battlefields this is
                            as close to a rocket they can get to and keep within Parks Canada Black
                            Powder Rules.