Re: 1812 stroller -again...

  • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "gord_1812 <gord_1812@y...>"
      <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
      > I have an idea.
      >
      > Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small
      spoked
      > wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
      > cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
      > boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
      > main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it.
      What
      > do you have? A period Baby on board! :P
      >
      > Gord

      Sounds like a song cue for the Be Sharps.... :^)

      Funny enough, the more colorful (read: verisimilitudinally-challenged)
      local minutemen and militia societies who, until the authenticity
      movement swept over them like a prairie fire, participated in the
      Lexington/Concord parades in years past, used to have a large
      contingent of mothers (wives of men at arms) pushing their tots in
      such camouflaged strollers and buggies in company formation in the
      Concord parade. Bloody hilarious. No matter how hard they tried,
      these vehicles still looked like modern baby transport and children's
      wagons. I even recall seeing a yard cart (for garden supplies and
      waste) converted over to some sort of tumbril for toddlers. (I
      wondered which of them was going to the Place de la Revolution for
      summary guillotining... :^) )

      All I could think of when I saw these affairs was: you can't polish a
      .... .

      And there was little basis for common people having such things.

      Simply put, pushcarts and the like would not have been afforded to
      and by the families of soldiers. Any sort of wheeled transport was
      scarce, and would have been requisitioned by the army.

      The concept of children leading a cosseted existence was still pretty
      new in the western world. Most people back then, from early childhood
      on, walked, and led pretty tough lives.

      RF