Why cricket is important!!!!!

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      1812 Listmembers:
      I came across this gem during some research at the Imperial War
      Museum some years ago. It is a letter written by Lieut. H. Sackville
      Lawson, 3rd July, 1917 Royal Field Artillery. It was written to the
      Headmaster of his old school, Buxton:

      "I've got one thing in particular to say - just the main thing we've
      talked about together in its different bearings in the past - just one
      important thing that keeps life sweet and clean and gives peace of
      mind. It is a Christian thing, and it is a British thing. It is what
      the Bible teaches. It is what the martyrs suffered in persecution for.
      It soon found root in England and began not only to fill the land, but
      to spread abroad and to become the heritage of the empire. It is the
      story of the Crusaders, and of the Reformation, of the downfall of the
      power of Spain, of our colonization, of the destruction of Napoleon's
      might, of the abolition of slavery and of the coming awakening of
      Germany (i/.e their defeat RH). The thing is simply this - Playing the
      game for the game's sake."

      Now we can see how Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton and
      countless other schools. The game is always a metaphor for the culture.

      Ray Hobbs
      CO 41st Regt.
      Hamilton, Ont.