Re: [WarOf1812] Lacrosse

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2003
      on 1/3/03 6:14 PM, Larry Lozon at lalozon@... wrote:

      > From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>
      >
      > I doubt there was any sport that would have been considered a "national
      > sport" in 1812. Lacrosse was popular with the francophone population in
      > the early 1800s
      > ________________
      >
      > Correct me Major Williams if I am incorrect but Lacrosse as well as
      > 'snakes' was being played by the Natives way before 1812.
      >
      > As at the attack on Fort Michilimackinac on June 2,1763. Here, Pontiac as
      > well as Chippewa and Sauk warriors play a game of baggataway (lacrosse)
      > in front of the fort's walls. The amused troops look on. Meanwhile, the
      > warriors'
      > wives wander into the fort unchecked ...
      >
      > for more visit:
      >
      > http://www.historytelevision.ca/chiefs/htmlen/ottawa/ev_fortvictories.asp

      Precisely

      Craig>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2003
          > _________________
          >
          > With the huge number of Corps d'Sauvauge or Native Warriors in the Detroit
          > area, along with the 8th, 41st and even your Royal Newfoundland Regts. As
          > well
          > the British Indian Department was headquartered at Fort Amherstburg across
          > from Detroit. I would assume those "whites" or non-natives would have
          > played
          > the game. Also Detroit was known as 'small Montreal' and being a French
          > settlement
          > 'francophones' in Upper Canada (Ontario).
          > sooooo more reasons to play this dastardly game ....... in my humble opinion

          Good points Larry,
          I seem t remember a reference that game was "tried" by the Brits during the
          AWI period, I will look up it's potential for 1812.

          And for those interested Lacrosse became Canadas official national sport in
          the mid 1930's.

          Craig
        • John-Paul Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2003
            Very true and my post mentioned the pre-1800s form of the game (AKA
            "Tewaarathon", or "the little brother of war" as the Iroquois called it)
            but I was talking more of games that non-aboriginals of the time would
            have played. I have my doubts that in 1812 non-native or
            non-francophone members of His Majesty's Forces would have played
            Lacrosse to any great extent.

            J-P Johnson
            RNR

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                This posting is mostly for Larry Hanna, but I figure I'll see if I
                can get anyone else to get a stick and play too! There's a group in
                F&I reenactment who do a native impression that includes playing
                lacrosse every Saturday evening at events. One of the guys makes
                excellent "hoop" style sticks, (like those originally used by the
                Ojibway and tribes as far west as the Dakota), and rawhide balls.
                The sticks are quite reasonably priced for being handmade, $65.00 USD
                with a spare hoop at $5.00 and a ball at $5.00 ( I don't know how he
                can make money on the ball at all!)
                (Hey Larry, can you remember putting out over $100.00 on a wooden
                stick in the '70's? A princely sum in those days!)

                when the Great Spirit gave the people his game it had but one rule,
                never touch the ball with your hands.
                Everything else apparently goes though. Perhaps that's why it was
                called Bagataway, which means "little brother of war".

                Anyway, for those who are interested....

                Brandon Scott
                1009 McCord Rd E4
                Valparaiso, IN
                46383

                eagletalontrader@...
              • Colin
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                  > And for those interested Lacrosse became Canadas official national
                  sport in
                  > the mid 1930's.
                  >
                  > Craig

                  And Canada finally beat us in the World Champioship this year for the
                  first time in nearly 30 years.
                  Congrats Canada

                  Best Regards
                  Colin Murphy
                  1812 Marine Guard
                  also a Lacrosse Player and Coach from a "Lacrosse family"
                • Craig Williams
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                    Actually,
                    More accurately "Box Lacrosse'" is Canada's National sport. Field
                    Lacrosse is more widely played in the US .
                    That's why it's an even bigger deal that the Canadian team finally
                    put it together this year. Unlike the US eastern colleges and
                    universities we don't have Lacrosse scholarships.
                    The US is still the team to beat.

                    Craig Williams
                    an old time "box boy" and major fan of the game no matter how it's
                    played!