Re: [WarOf1812] Cricket

  • R Feltoe
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2003
      Larry,
      I'm up for a game, just watch out for my googlie and I prefer playing silly
      mid-off
      Richard
    • Raymond Hobbs
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
        Susan:
        The Stratford 'n NOTL matches (never 'games' for the uninitiated) are
        contrived by the theatre companies in those towns - with Canadian names
        like Stratford and Shaw ;->)
        Westdale, Hamilton has two teams and there are small leagues scattered
        around the province. But I believe what Mr. Catley refers to is 'Test'
        Cricket, i.e. International Games once graced by the likes of Sir
        Garfield Sobers (in my estimation the best man ever to have donned the
        whites); Freddie Trueman - demon bowler ('scuse me Aussies for not
        mentioning Laker) etc., etc.
        Now, of course, Yorkshire is regarded as the bedrock of English cricket
        - although I did notice that in 1997 and 1998 Glamorgan had a damn good
        run at the championship. There is cricket, and cricket. Just like
        there is American Football (US based) and American Football (UK based) -
        a world of difference.
        Now cricket was played in 1812 - and we should perhaps play some in camp
        one event. Any takers?
        I'll teach folk how to stand as a short-leg, at silly mid-off, in the
        slips, do a leg-spin (underarm as per period), cut, volley etc. What a
        wonderful, civilized game! White wine and sandwiches go very well with
        it!
        But now I begin to dream too much.
        Ray Hobbs
        41st Regt.

        Susan Spencer McLean wrote:

        > Ummmmm . . . then just what was that that I was watching in Stratford
        >
        > and then in Niagara-on-the-Lake this past summer? Perhaps not at
        > exhalted levels, but we do still play cricket here. I have one
        > crooked
        > finger and a permanent mark on another finger to prove it . . . :-D
        >
        > -- Sioux
        > (who went through the British school system, complete with O-levels
        > and
        > A-levels, while firmly planted in deepest Alberta (Canada) and who
        > achieved the dubious distinction of being the only female on the
        > school
        > cricket team for three years running . . . )
        >
        > Peter Catley wrote:
        >
        > >A shame, but only Canada sold out totally and no longer plays
        > Cricket.
        > >
        > >Tally-ho
        > >
        > >P**
        > >

        > --
        >
        > We are looking for business partners in the UK, Germany, Canada and
        > the
        > United States.
        > Click here to learn more www.mcleansinc.com
        > <http://www.mcleansinc.com>

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      • Raymond Hobbs
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
          Then I suggest you wear appropriate protection, Richard. I've seen too
          many lads at silly mid off get wiped out - ball on balls - so to speak.
          ;->) I wonder if that's why they call a good hit to that direction a
          'cover drive'.
          Ray Hobbs

          PS: Can't claim it, but I would love to have been related to Sir Jack
          Hobbs, England's finest batsman IMHO.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
            From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

            ... Canada sold out totally and no longer plays Cricket.

            ________________

            9th'er P**

            You have obviously never visited Waterloo Park,
            Waterloo Ontario 'CANADA'.

            Where an Official Cricket layout is visible with teams
            in white clothing battling it out every Sunday during the Spring,
            Summer and Fall.

            Perhaps next year Cap'n Hobbs and myself, with the
            ladies, will enjoy a cup of tea in full 1812 Brit. dress Scarlets.
            While watching a match or two. wot, wot ...........

            Larry
          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
              on 1/3/03 1:21 PM, Larry Lozon at lalozon@... wrote:

              > From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>
              >
              > ... Canada sold out totally and no longer plays Cricket.

              Never mind Cricket....it's hard enough to get Canadians to get into their
              national sport, which was played circa the 1812 war. Lacrosse. I'd be happy
              to bring a wooden stick or two and a wooden ball. Perhaps someone could make
              a rawhide ball?
              Nothing against Cricket of course, and I would be happy to play at that as
              well. There was a period there a few years ago where we were frequently
              playing "rounders" too! Although it was great fun, I recall that it's a bit
              rough (particularly when played by rambunctious Canadians) and there were
              quite a few injuries.

              Craig
            • Craig Williams
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                on 1/3/03 4:21 PM, Craig Williams at sgtwarner@... wrote:

                > on 1/3/03 1:21 PM, Larry Lozon at lalozon@... wrote:
                >
                >> From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>
                >>
                >> ... Canada sold out totally and no longer plays Cricket.
                >>

                > Never mind Cricket....it's hard enough to get Canadians to get into their
                > national sport, which was played circa the 1812 war. Lacrosse. I'd be happy
                > to bring a wooden stick or two and a wooden ball. Perhaps someone could make
                > a rawhide ball?
                > Nothing against Cricket of course, and I would be happy to play at that as
                > well. There was a period there a few years ago where we were frequently
                > playing "rounders" too! Although it was great fun, I recall that it's a bit
                > rough (particularly when played by rambunctious Canadians) and there were
                > quite a few injuries.
                >
                > Craig

                Just an addendum here,
                It's really easy to learn the rules of Lacrosse in the 1812 period.

                It is : never touch the ball with your hands.

                Short, sweeet simple, and really dangerous!

                Craig >;^D
              • John-Paul Johnson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Oh yes please! I used to play with my local XI here in Barrie when I
                  was a younger man (a recreational team not a league one). I have a copy
                  of "The Laws of the Noble Game of Cricket" as laid down by the
                  Marylebone Cricket Club in 1809 if anyone's interested..

                  Anyway, count me in !

                  J-P Johnson
                  Bulger's Coy, Royal NFLD Reg't

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                    From: "John-Paul Johnson" <jpjohnsn@...>

                    Raymond Hobbs wrote:

                    ... cricket was played in 1812 - and we should perhaps
                    play some in camp one event. Any takers?

                    John-Paul Johnson wrote:

                    Oh yes please!
                    ... I have a copy of "The Laws of the Noble Game of Cricket"
                    as laid down by the Marylebone Cricket Club in 1809
                    ________________

                    http://www.cricket.org/link_to_database/NATIONAL/ICC_MEMBERS/CAN/CCA_HISTORY
                    _11SEP1997.html

                    states:
                    The earliest known reference to cricket in Canada is of matches
                    played at Ile-Ste-Helene in the Province of Quebec in the year 1785 on the
                    site where the Montreal Exposition buildings now stand. Historical records
                    do not divulge when cricket was first played in Canada but it is generally
                    assumed that the game was introduced into the country by British soldiers
                    following the historic battle at the Plains of Abraham near Quebec City,
                    between the armies of General Wolfe and General Montcalm in 1759.

                    The roots of Canadian cricket spring mainly from the regions of Upper Canada
                    and in particular from around the little town of York, now known as Toronto,
                    in the Province of Ontario. During the early years of the nineteenth
                    century, the game was encourage in the town by George A. Barber, a young
                    English schoolmaster. To-day he is considered to be the father of Canadian
                    cricket.

                    and at:
                    http://www.cricket.org/link_to_database/SOCIETIES/ENG/ACS/CRICKET_HISTORY/LA
                    WS/LAWS_1809_CODE.html

                    is yur own copy of: Laws of Cricket 1809 Code

                    This edition of the Laws was agreed by the MCC sometime after 1803. This
                    particular version was published on May 25 1809, by John Wallis, 13. Warwick
                    Squ. Newgate Street.

                    "batter up" for Rounders!

                    Larry
                  • Peter Catley
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                      No I haven't been to Waterloo (Ca) although many many years ago I lived in
                      Trenton (Ont) for a couple of years. I'm delighted to hear that your country
                      men (and ladies I trust :-)) indulge the willow and leather. However I was
                      really alluding to participation within the "Empire" at Test level, although
                      at the moment they'd probably beat the English test side!

                      Why not ask His Grace to sponsor a side and give Bro. Jonathan a good
                      spanking! It could amuse an audience Canuck or Southern. At one
                      particularily slow event in France we played a game with bayonets for the
                      wicket and used a bess as a bat and got a very good response from the French
                      crowd! :-) We have also re-enacted a game between two sets of soldiers
                      which ended up with two head and the provests having to clear the field!

                      Just to get back on topic! Is there any evidence of the Officers of 1812
                      playing the noble game while serving in Canada? I'd be very surprised if
                      they did not since by this time I believe it was very widespread.

                      Cheers now.

                      P**
                      ... Canada sold out totally and no longer plays Cricket.

                      ________________

                      9th'er P**

                      You have obviously never visited Waterloo Park,
                      Waterloo Ontario 'CANADA'.

                      Where an Official Cricket layout is visible with teams
                      in white clothing battling it out every Sunday during the Spring,
                      Summer and Fall.

                      Perhaps next year Cap'n Hobbs and myself, with the
                      ladies, will enjoy a cup of tea in full 1812 Brit. dress Scarlets.
                      While watching a match or two. wot, wot ...........

                      Larry

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      square miles...

                    • PEGGY Mathews
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                        There's a gentleman here south of the border who is championing the cause of
                        Cricket in the midwest. I've seen him put on demo games with willing
                        tourists in several states. Always seems to be a big hit with the crowd and
                        participants. Last time I saw him was at Pine City, MN at the fur post
                        there. I was doing sentry duty during most of his demo and was a tad tired
                        and thirsty afterwards.

                        Michael

                        "We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it -- but we
                        must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

                        >From: John-Paul Johnson <jpjohnsn@...>
                        >To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Cricket
                        >Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 15:33:23 -0500
                        >
                        >Oh yes please! I used to play with my local XI here in Barrie when I
                        >was a younger man (a recreational team not a league one). I have a copy
                        >of "The Laws of the Noble Game of Cricket" as laid down by the
                        >Marylebone Cricket Club in 1809 if anyone's interested..
                        >
                        >Anyway, count me in !
                        >
                        >J-P Johnson
                        >Bulger's Coy, Royal NFLD Reg't
                        >
                        >Raymond Hobbs wrote:
                        >
                        > >Now cricket was played in 1812 - and we should perhaps play some in camp
                        > >one event. Any takers?
                        > >I'll teach folk how to stand as a short-leg, at silly mid-off, in the
                        > >slips, do a leg-spin (underarm as per period), cut, volley etc. What a
                        > >wonderful, civilized game! White wine and sandwiches go very well with
                        > >it!
                        > >But now I begin to dream too much.
                        > >Ray Hobbs
                        > >41st Regt.
                        > >
                        > >Susan Spencer McLean wrote:
                        > >

                        > >> Ummmmm . . . then just what was that that I was watching in Stratford
                        > >>
                        > >>and then in Niagara-on-the-Lake this past summer? Perhaps not at
                        > >>exhalted levels, but we do still play cricket here. I have one
                        > >>crooked
                        > >>finger and a permanent mark on another finger to prove it . . . :-D
                        > >>
                        > >>-- Sioux
                        > >>(who went through the British school system, complete with O-levels
                        > >>and
                        > >>A-levels, while firmly planted in deepest Alberta (Canada) and who
                        > >>achieved the dubious distinction of being the only female on the
                        > >>school
                        > >>cricket team for three years running . . . )

                        >of square miles...

                      • Craig Williams
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                          on 1/3/03 6:03 PM, John-Paul Johnson at jpjohnsn@... wrote:

                          A note for "barrack room lawyers..

                          What I meant was Canada's current national sport, which I suggested while
                          noting that it was being played in 1812.

                          It has been Canadas national sport for a very long time. I will look it up
                          and get back to you.

                          Craig
                        • John-Paul Johnson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                            Craig Williams wrote:

                            >on 1/3/03 1:21 PM, Larry Lozon at lalozon@... wrote:
                            >

                            >>From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>
                            >>
                            >>... Canada sold out totally and no longer plays Cricket.
                            >>

                            >Never mind Cricket....it's hard enough to get Canadians to get into their
                            >national sport, which was played circa the 1812 war. Lacrosse.

                            I doubt there was any sport that would have been considered a "national
                            sport" in 1812. Lacrosse was popular with the francophone population in
                            the early 1800s but the contemporary game didn't begin to develop until
                            the 1830s and wasn't standardized until 1867 (by the by, in the1860s,
                            Canada's parliament declared CRICKET as our national sport). One
                            article I read mentioned that the pre-1800 game could be played on a
                            field anywhere from 1 to 15 MILES long with up to 1000 players.
                            Lacrosse didn't become our national summer sport in 1994.

                            FYI:
                            http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Traditions/English/lacrosse.html

                            Certainly cricket would have flourished in the areas dominated by the
                            English. One wonders if places like NFLD and other Scots/Irish areas
                            wouldn't have featured Hurling - a game not unlike Lacrosse.

                            J-P Johnson
                            RNR

                          • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                              Hi,

                              Obviously, with all the interest, you all need to start an 1812 Cricket
                              list! ;^)

                              Cricket is something that you use as bait to catch fish!

                              Bob Dorian
                              USA
                            • Len Heidebrecht <lheidebrecht@Lycos.com>
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 3, 2003
                                It's ben at least five years since we played Cricket at the first
                                Fort George Event. I believe it was then the King's Regt vs the other
                                units. Major B was a good bowler, if my memory is correct. We just
                                couldn't get anyone to forget that the 'leg before' rule hadn't been
                                invented yet. Hmmm something about not wanting a shattered thigh-
                                bone. Some people have no sense of adventure.
                                It's past time we started another game.
                                Cheers,
                                Len
                                P.S. I also remember a Rounders game being played at the same time,
                                beside the mens barracks.
                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 4, 2003
                                  I say!
                                  Does anyone recall the Cricket matches played at the Chalmette event in days
                                  of yore?
                                  (Well, OK, other than those who actually ATTEND the event, I would guess
                                  not..)
                                  But oh my yes!
                                  The 93rd (of course) on the Sunday afternoon would hold "Sport", which at
                                  times also included some Highland Games activities such as the hammer, stone,
                                  and weight, along with a cricket match. Oh the joy of cricket in the mud!

                                  Speaking of mud...does anyone recall the cricket at Mississinewa in days of
                                  yore? Back when the Brit camp was parked right next to (and sometimes within)
                                  the US camp? We held it "down in the bog" at the bottom of Mount Abolt. Oh
                                  the joy of cricket in the mud!

                                  And I also recall a nice match on a sunny Sunday afternoon at Ft. George
                                  once, in the days of yore.... (No mud! Praise be!)

                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                  THE Thin Red Line
                                  www.93rdhighlanders.com
                                • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 4, 2003
                                    In a message dated 03/1/03 3:26:42 PM, lheidebrecht@... writes:

                                    << It's ben at least five years since we played Cricket at the first
                                    Fort George Event. I believe it was then the King's Regt vs the other
                                    units. Major B was a good bowler, if my memory is correct. We just
                                    couldn't get anyone to forget that the 'leg before' rule hadn't been
                                    invented yet. Hmmm something about not wanting a shattered thigh-
                                    bone. Some people have no sense of adventure.
                                    It's past time we started another game.
                                    Cheers,
                                    Len
                                    P.S. I also remember a Rounders game being played at the same time,
                                    beside the mens barracks.
                                    L >>

                                    Oh lawsy mercy! Someone DOES remember! (Which means I wasn't just having a
                                    drunk delirium!)
                                    :-)
                                    93rd SHRoFLHU
                                    THE Thin Red Line