Re: [WarOf1812] C of U + Empire.

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
      Pity about Indyah, What?
      Ray Hobbs

      Peter Catley wrote:

      > Richard,
      >
      > ...it is still the Centre of the Universe and the Empire :-)
      >
      > P**

    • Raymond Hobbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
        I share the shame, Peter. Wisden's contains a record of the first game
        of cricket outside Britain in 1793, I recall - ten years before the
        Aussies caught on. This game was played in Montreal between a local
        team of Gentlemen and that of the local garrison. I believe the local
        Gentlemen won.
        Occasionally Canada rustles up a team to play some visiting group, but
        watching Canadians play the West Indies in the Skydome is a far cry from
        the Oval or Lords. Sic transit gloria!
        Ray (who had a mean leg-spin in his day!)

        PS: For those unaware, Wisden's is the Cricketer's Bible.

        Peter Catley wrote:

        > A shame, but only Canada sold out totally and no longer plays
        > Cricket.
        >
        > Tally-ho
        >
        > P**

      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
          A shame, but only Canada sold out totally and no longer plays Cricket.

          Tally-ho

          P**

          > ...it is still the Centre of the Universe and the Empire :-)
          >
          > P**

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050205
          36:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://
          www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

          square miles...

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Susan Spencer McLean
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
            Ummmmm . . . then just what was that that I was watching in Stratford
            and then in Niagara-on-the-Lake this past summer? Perhaps not at
            exhalted levels, but we do still play cricket here. I have one crooked
            finger and a permanent mark on another finger to prove it . . . :-D

            -- Sioux
            (who went through the British school system, complete with O-levels and
            A-levels, while firmly planted in deepest Alberta (Canada) and who
            achieved the dubious distinction of being the only female on the school
            cricket team for three years running . . . )

            --

            We are looking for business partners in the UK, Germany, Canada and the
            United States.