Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Cultural Identities

  • R Feltoe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Sorry my friend if I inadvertently caused you chagrin, but technically
      you're from south of the Wear and in any Geordie manual of cultural identity
      it places you as a "Southerner".

      But then those of us born on the "Waall" have some pretty extreme attitudes
      on how to categorise peoples. After all we consider anyone from west of
      Hexham (Hexum) which is only about 15 miles from Newcastle a "Cumbrie" and
      those from past Alnwick (Annik), only about 30 miles north, as "Furreners".

      Even a true "Geordie" technically has to be born within the sound of the
      shipyard hooters at Wallsend (Wazzend) ...so even thems as comes frum
      Elswick, (only 5 miles away), is jus' plain oo't a luck...
      Regards Richard