Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 stroller

  • R Feltoe
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
      Tim and Peter,
      It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
      indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
      only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
      "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
      " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
      "Haway the Lad's"
      Richard

      (Not strictly 1812 I know, but after all my historical submissions, I trust
      I'll be granted one non-period commentary)
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
        Push chairs are also known as buggies. I agree with what you've said Tim, I
        thought it at the time of Rogers e-mail but didn't respond since I was
        already way off topic :-)

        Cheers all,

        P**

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
          From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

          Push chairs are also known as buggies.
          _________________

          Squire P**

          ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/

          Larry
        • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
            > From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
            >
            > Push chairs are also known as buggies.
            > _________________
            >
            > Squire P**
            >
            > ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/
            >

            > Larry

            and http://www.poshtots.com ! :^)

            Lots of prams and...strollers.

            BTW my sister-in-law called us up from Winchester, Hants, this AM to
            wish us a belated Happy New Year, and, in the course of conversation,
            I asked her about it as well. As I also recall from hearing it among
            young parents when we were over there a couple of years back, she
            says pushchairs, buggies, collapsible prams, prams and strollers as
            terms for "collapsible chairs on wheels for transporting toddlers"
            are all words in use for same among her and the other mothers she
            knows in England. Posh prams, or baby buggies, are still, well,
            prams, but the usage is blurring. Her daughter is 4. My youngest is
            5, long out of the pram/stroller stage; she and her brothers used to
            refer to theirs as the "War Wagon" (don't ask) :^)

            Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
            by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
            can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
            "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.

            RF
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
              From: <fullerfamily@...>

              > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
              > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
              > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
              > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
              ____________________

              Dear RF

              As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
              we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
              re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
              American Revolution event.

              Larry
            • PEGGY Mathews
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
                >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [WarOf1812] 1812 stroller
                >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:36:39 -0500
                >
                >From: <fullerfamily@...>
                >
                > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                > ____________________
                >
                > Dear RF
                >
                > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                >we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                >re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                >American Revolution event.
                >
                >Larry

                Neither are polyester uniforms, but I've seen those at 1812 events too. ;-)
                So without an umbrella organization to set and maintain standards it comes
                back to Roger's statement. "badda-boom, badda-bing"

                Michael

              • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                  > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                  >
                  > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in
                  use
                  > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue
                  nobody
                  > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                  > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                  > ____________________
                  >
                  > Dear RF
                  >
                  > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time
                  Period,
                  > we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                  > re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of
                  the
                  > American Revolution event.
                  >
                  > Larry

                  Bro Larry,

                  allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                  beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                  wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for the
                  sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                  weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...

                  I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                  everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                  unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                  out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                  in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                  sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                  not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                  is too short.

                  Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                  RF
                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                    In a message dated 1/2/2003 3:18:13 PM Central Standard Time,
                    feltoe@... writes:

                    > It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
                    > indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
                    > only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
                    > "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
                    > " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
                    > "Haway the Lad's"

                    SOUTHERNER!!!!!!!!!!! SOUTHERNER!!!!! @#%^&*$^$% calling a YORKSHIREMAN a
                    SOUTHERNER. (North Yorkshire at that)

                    Of course this means war ;-)

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                      From: <fullerfamily@...>

                      RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                      beards....)they still do.

                      LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to use them
                      as at Saratoga
                      ________________

                      RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring along the
                      modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not have been
                      allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and
                      all that...

                      LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic problem and
                      not a re-enactment problem. I know of a golf club that will not allow blue
                      jeans
                      worn on the greens and no matter what the wife says, they are not worn!
                      ____________

                      RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                      everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                      unit.

                      LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of the guy
                      who
                      buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes and
                      tries
                      to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park beside
                      his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern camp)
                      _______________

                      RF: Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                      out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                      in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                      sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                      not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                      is too short. Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                      LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far better than
                      most.
                      So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                      Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it" law.
                      It is only for two days.

                      A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?
                    • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

                        > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                        >
                        > RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along
                        with
                        > beards....)they still do.
                        >
                        > LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to
                        use them
                        > as at Saratoga
                        > ________________

                        Grandmaster Lar,

                        that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. Of course, the muddy,
                        hilly terrain, and the "good Scottish weather" as my wife termed it
                        there, didn't exactly lend itself to, er, prams :^)... But I have
                        seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm, 1999; Ft Lee,
                        NJ, 1998. I still see it at local AWI events here in the Boston area,
                        but it's mostly from ....ah, why bother mentioning names and units...

                        > RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring
                        along the
                        > modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not
                        have been
                        > allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed",
                        and
                        > all that...
                        >
                        > LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic
                        problem and
                        > not a re-enactment problem.

                        Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                        in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                        disagreements. And enforce them.

                        Of course, if the unit and hosts don't care, the only thing one can
                        do is vote with one's feet.

                        > ____________
                        >
                        > RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                        > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                        > unit.
                        >
                        > LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of
                        the guy
                        > who
                        > buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes
                        and
                        > tries
                        > to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park
                        beside
                        > his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern
                        camp)
                        > _______________

                        Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                        don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                        point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                        rubber room...:^)

                        > LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far
                        better than
                        > most.

                        Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once we
                        learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and
                        remake/resew/replace much, believe me.

                        > So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                        I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                        think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                        not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                        suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                        instance?

                        > Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it"
                        law.
                        > It is only for two days.
                        >
                        > A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?

                        Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                        and pray....

                        RF

                        Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                          From: <fullerfamily@...>

                          RF: that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. ...But I have
                          seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm,
                          1999; Ft Lee, NJ, 1998.

                          LL: Grenadier Fuller, looks to me like it is cleaning up ....
                          Shouldn't we continue?
                          ___________________

                          RF: Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                          in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                          disagreements. And enforce them. Of course, if the unit and hosts don't
                          care,
                          the only thing one can do is vote with one's feet.

                          LL: agreed, it up to each unit to clean up their act.
                          ____________

                          RF: Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                          don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                          point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                          rubber room...:^)

                          LL: maybe it is time for those who have spent the time to research
                          and the money to recreate, to tell those who haven't that if they want
                          to play, leave the modern stuff at home and stop using poly to construct
                          uniforms. I must have missed something .... I thot we were re-creating
                          history, not trying to devise ways to hide modern items?!
                          ______________

                          RF: Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once
                          we learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and remake/resew
                          /replace much, believe me.

                          LL: Roger Baby, been there done that. Jim converted a regiment's coats as
                          the
                          lace was wrong. Buttons for everyone when we found out the buttons on our
                          coats were wrong. Won't go no further, but check out our Rev unit this year,
                          complete new kit, as new documentation was found !!!
                          _____________

                          RF: I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                          think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                          not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                          suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                          instance?

                          LL: agreed, but if the co-ordinators care about their events they can start
                          tightening up. There are some out there that just don't know and sharing
                          the info with them is good, then there are others who the sites can deal
                          with ...
                          ______________

                          RF: Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                          and pray....

                          LL: agreed Mon Ami. I will not speak of this matter again on this group, but
                          will leave it with the comment,

                          " you can't go without it for two days to help with the illusion of being in
                          1812?"

                          Larry

                          Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car
                          also but does not carry it around the event
                          while wearing period clothing :^)
                        • Tracy <tracyforsyth@hotmail.com>
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                            Very well put and made my day got a few laughs from this one..I would
                            like to see such creatures at a re enactment would be verrry
                            interesting
                            Tracy
                            > Bro Larry,
                            >
                            > allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                            > beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                            > wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for
                            the
                            > sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                            > weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...
                            >
                            > I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                            > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                            > unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                            > out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies
                            around
                            > in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                            > sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                            > not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles.
                            Life
                            > is too short.
                            >
                            > Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.
                            >
                            > RF
                          • PEGGY MATHEWS
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                              Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                              Michael

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                Richard,

                                I am perfectly happy to be called a southerner, born here, been here all my
                                life and despite what the provincials and colonials might think it is still
                                the Centre of the Universe and the Empire :-)

                                P**

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                  Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                  and pray....

                                  RF

                                  Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)

                                  Okay having gotten into trouble once this week! What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                  :-) :-)

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                                    wrote:

                                    What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                    > :-) :-)

                                    http://www.timhortons.com explains it all. Tim Horton's is Canada's
                                    biggest chain of donut/coffee shops.

                                    Also mentioned in this Canadian comic strip as well:

                                    http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0810.html
                                    http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0811.html

                                    RF
                                  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                      In a message dated 1/3/2003 3:46:18 AM Central Standard Time,
                                      ciefranche21e@... writes:

                                      > Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                      Well, there are a few of us that can be understood, Patrick Stewart, Tim
                                      Dalton, Brian Blessed, then of course there's Sean Bean waiving the flag for
                                      Sheffield! All of us from the North can do the accent if called upon but it's
                                      good to keep foreigners (and particularly Southerners) guessing.

                                    • Peter Catley
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                        I understand, I thought it might be one of those funny looking things that
                                        you can use for drinking coffee in the car (automobile) with a secure lid.
                                        An American friend gave me one from Dunking Donuts but I've never really
                                        understood why you'd want to drink coffee on the move, if I need coffee I
                                        need a stop!

                                        Must get back to being on topic!

                                        Cheers now,

                                        P**

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                          and there was me assuming that it wasn't that I couldn't understand, but
                                          that they didn't have anything worth listening to :-)

                                          P**

                                        • gord_1812 <gord_1812@yahoo.com>
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                            I have an idea.

                                            Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small spoked
                                            wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                            cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                            boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                            main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it. What
                                            do you have? A period Baby on board! :P

                                            Gord

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "gord_1812 <gord_1812@y...>"
                                              <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
                                              > I have an idea.
                                              >
                                              > Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small
                                              spoked
                                              > wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                              > cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                              > boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                              > main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it.
                                              What
                                              > do you have? A period Baby on board! :P
                                              >
                                              > Gord

                                              Sounds like a song cue for the Be Sharps.... :^)

                                              Funny enough, the more colorful (read: verisimilitudinally-challenged)
                                              local minutemen and militia societies who, until the authenticity
                                              movement swept over them like a prairie fire, participated in the
                                              Lexington/Concord parades in years past, used to have a large
                                              contingent of mothers (wives of men at arms) pushing their tots in
                                              such camouflaged strollers and buggies in company formation in the
                                              Concord parade. Bloody hilarious. No matter how hard they tried,
                                              these vehicles still looked like modern baby transport and children's
                                              wagons. I even recall seeing a yard cart (for garden supplies and
                                              waste) converted over to some sort of tumbril for toddlers. (I
                                              wondered which of them was going to the Place de la Revolution for
                                              summary guillotining... :^) )

                                              All I could think of when I saw these affairs was: you can't polish a
                                              .... .

                                              And there was little basis for common people having such things.

                                              Simply put, pushcarts and the like would not have been afforded to
                                              and by the families of soldiers. Any sort of wheeled transport was
                                              scarce, and would have been requisitioned by the army.

                                              The concept of children leading a cosseted existence was still pretty
                                              new in the western world. Most people back then, from early childhood
                                              on, walked, and led pretty tough lives.

                                              RF