Thoughts on Hay & Straw

  • Tom Apple <tuckahoe@pinn.net>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
      Greetings and Happy New Year!

      If people using straw bales as camp furniture vexes you then the best
      thing is to do away with them completely.

      At a few 18th c. events I helped with, we bought the large rolls of
      hay. We located them among the camps with the roll turned on its side
      and a pole shoved down into the middle of it. We then unwound the
      outer (dirtier) layers and threw them on top. This gave it the
      appearance of a hay stack rather than some modern baled form. The
      loose hay on top made a roof to keep the rest dry in the rain. We paid
      $50 per roll of hay and it served at least 50 people. The main concern
      is that you get fresh dry rolls instead of moldy rotting ones.

      The advantage of hay in the historical sense is that it is cut more
      often than wheat (straw) and might be more appropriate for
      Spring/Summer events than straw.

      Regards,

      Tom Apple
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
        From: Tom Apple <tuckahoe@...>

        We paid $50 per roll of hay and it served at least 50 people.

        Tom

        Where are you? As if you are in the USA, that would be
        50 US Dollars = 78.935 Canadian Dollars

        Per: http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
      • Tom Apple <tuckahoe@pinn.net>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
          > From: Tom Apple <tuckahoe@p...>
          >
          > We paid $50 per roll of hay and it served at least 50 people.
          >

          > Tom
          >
          > Where are you? As if you are in the USA, that would be
          > 50 US Dollars = 78.935 Canadian Dollars
          >
          > Per: http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic

          I'm in Suffolk, Virginia. Sometimes you can get hay rolls for as low
          as $40 US if you shop around and it's been a good harvest. We went
          with hay that had been rolled the day prior to pick up. Nice, sweet,
          Surry County hay. Drive around in a beat up pick-up truck with two
          rolls of hay in the back and every local will wave at you. Instant
          assimilation.

          Regards,

          Tom A.
        • crttop7311@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
            The only problem with using hay, authenticity aside, is that it is usually a major source of allergens. While a multitude of people are allergic to hay, few, if any are allergic to straw. Especially if is clean, as in without dust.

            Obviously the cost here is a major issue also, in Missouri 80-100# square bales of straw=@1.50usd. The same bale of hay will you run you @4.00usd. Also, you can sleep directly on straw in relative comfort, if you try that with hay you will wake up in an itching frenzy... just my unprofessional thoughts.

            E Matthews, SGT.
            XIV Light Dragoons
            On picket away from the center of the universe.