Re: [WarOf1812] How common was hay?

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
      In modern terms "dried field grasses" would be hay. Straw is the left over stems of harvested wheat, rye, beans, etc.
      Mark D
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 2, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow <nappingcrow@h...>" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:

        Hi Brian,

        Great information thanks. Yes, I'll track down the book you mentioned. I saw that Feltoe had also mentioned "Palliasses" in British issues.

        I've seen "huts" used more than "barracks".... I may be wrong here, but from the American records I've read...it appears huts were single story and barracks were two story? But, Hay <g>.....I'm guessing.

        This has been a great thread on HAY and STRAW. Every thing you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask.

        By the way, "MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES"....is a great period phrase. Col. Jacob Kingsbury, 1st Infantry used this in a letter before the War.

        As far as the accounts of women ...1) Lydia's Bacon's account is good one. Her husband was in the 4th U.States Infantry.
        2) My wife publish? Actually, she has but not this particular subject though she has given presentations on this subject.

        3) Norman Caldwell wrote some very fine
        articles on Civilians during the war era.

        Dave B.