Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 stroller

  • R Feltoe
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
      Tim and Peter,
      It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
      indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
      only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
      "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
      " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
      "Haway the Lad's"
      Richard

      (Not strictly 1812 I know, but after all my historical submissions, I trust
      I'll be granted one non-period commentary)
    • Peter Catley
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
        Thanks Roger

        P**

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
          In a message dated 1/2/2003 12:20:20 PM Central Standard Time,
          peter.catley@... writes:

          > Peter,
          >
          > strollers (US/CDN) are prams (UK).
          >
          > RF

          Ooo heavens no! a pram (perambulator) is a MUCH more elaborate device hardly
          ever seen today. The push chair is the British equivalent. A pram is not for
          toddlers but for babies and is a bed on wheels, big wheels at that. We used
          to use the wheels for our trolleys (soap boxes in the US) when I was growing
          up.

        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
            Push chairs are also known as buggies. I agree with what you've said Tim, I
            thought it at the time of Rogers e-mail but didn't respond since I was
            already way off topic :-)

            Cheers all,

            P**

            36:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
              From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

              Push chairs are also known as buggies.
              _________________

              Squire P**

              ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/

              Larry
            • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                > From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                >
                > Push chairs are also known as buggies.
                > _________________
                >
                > Squire P**
                >
                > ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/
                >

                > Larry

                and http://www.poshtots.com ! :^)

                Lots of prams and...strollers.

                BTW my sister-in-law called us up from Winchester, Hants, this AM to
                wish us a belated Happy New Year, and, in the course of conversation,
                I asked her about it as well. As I also recall from hearing it among
                young parents when we were over there a couple of years back, she
                says pushchairs, buggies, collapsible prams, prams and strollers as
                terms for "collapsible chairs on wheels for transporting toddlers"
                are all words in use for same among her and the other mothers she
                knows in England. Posh prams, or baby buggies, are still, well,
                prams, but the usage is blurring. Her daughter is 4. My youngest is
                5, long out of the pram/stroller stage; she and her brothers used to
                refer to theirs as the "War Wagon" (don't ask) :^)

                Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.

                RF
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                  From: <fullerfamily@...>

                  > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                  > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                  > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                  > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                  ____________________

                  Dear RF

                  As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                  we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                  re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                  American Revolution event.

                  Larry
                • PEGGY Mathews
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                    >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
                    >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: [WarOf1812] 1812 stroller
                    >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:36:39 -0500
                    >
                    >From: <fullerfamily@...>
                    >
                    > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                    > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                    > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                    > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                    > ____________________
                    >
                    > Dear RF
                    >
                    > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                    >we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                    >re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                    >American Revolution event.
                    >
                    >Larry

                    Neither are polyester uniforms, but I've seen those at 1812 events too. ;-)
                    So without an umbrella organization to set and maintain standards it comes
                    back to Roger's statement. "badda-boom, badda-bing"

                    Michael

                  • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                      > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                      >
                      > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in
                      use
                      > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue
                      nobody
                      > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                      > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                      > ____________________
                      >
                      > Dear RF
                      >
                      > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time
                      Period,
                      > we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                      > re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of
                      the
                      > American Revolution event.
                      >
                      > Larry

                      Bro Larry,

                      allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                      beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                      wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for the
                      sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                      weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...

                      I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                      everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                      unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                      out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                      in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                      sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                      not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                      is too short.

                      Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                      RF
                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                        In a message dated 1/2/2003 3:18:13 PM Central Standard Time,
                        feltoe@... writes:

                        > It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
                        > indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
                        > only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
                        > "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
                        > " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
                        > "Haway the Lad's"

                        SOUTHERNER!!!!!!!!!!! SOUTHERNER!!!!! @#%^&*$^$% calling a YORKSHIREMAN a
                        SOUTHERNER. (North Yorkshire at that)

                        Of course this means war ;-)

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                          From: <fullerfamily@...>

                          RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                          beards....)they still do.

                          LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to use them
                          as at Saratoga
                          ________________

                          RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring along the
                          modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not have been
                          allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and
                          all that...

                          LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic problem and
                          not a re-enactment problem. I know of a golf club that will not allow blue
                          jeans
                          worn on the greens and no matter what the wife says, they are not worn!
                          ____________

                          RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                          everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                          unit.

                          LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of the guy
                          who
                          buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes and
                          tries
                          to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park beside
                          his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern camp)
                          _______________

                          RF: Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                          out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                          in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                          sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                          not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                          is too short. Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                          LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far better than
                          most.
                          So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                          Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it" law.
                          It is only for two days.

                          A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?
                        • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

                            > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                            >
                            > RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along
                            with
                            > beards....)they still do.
                            >
                            > LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to
                            use them
                            > as at Saratoga
                            > ________________

                            Grandmaster Lar,

                            that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. Of course, the muddy,
                            hilly terrain, and the "good Scottish weather" as my wife termed it
                            there, didn't exactly lend itself to, er, prams :^)... But I have
                            seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm, 1999; Ft Lee,
                            NJ, 1998. I still see it at local AWI events here in the Boston area,
                            but it's mostly from ....ah, why bother mentioning names and units...

                            > RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring
                            along the
                            > modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not
                            have been
                            > allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed",
                            and
                            > all that...
                            >
                            > LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic
                            problem and
                            > not a re-enactment problem.

                            Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                            in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                            disagreements. And enforce them.

                            Of course, if the unit and hosts don't care, the only thing one can
                            do is vote with one's feet.

                            > ____________
                            >
                            > RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                            > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                            > unit.
                            >
                            > LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of
                            the guy
                            > who
                            > buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes
                            and
                            > tries
                            > to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park
                            beside
                            > his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern
                            camp)
                            > _______________

                            Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                            don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                            point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                            rubber room...:^)

                            > LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far
                            better than
                            > most.

                            Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once we
                            learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and
                            remake/resew/replace much, believe me.

                            > So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                            I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                            think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                            not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                            suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                            instance?

                            > Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it"
                            law.
                            > It is only for two days.
                            >
                            > A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?

                            Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                            and pray....

                            RF

                            Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                              From: <fullerfamily@...>

                              RF: that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. ...But I have
                              seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm,
                              1999; Ft Lee, NJ, 1998.

                              LL: Grenadier Fuller, looks to me like it is cleaning up ....
                              Shouldn't we continue?
                              ___________________

                              RF: Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                              in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                              disagreements. And enforce them. Of course, if the unit and hosts don't
                              care,
                              the only thing one can do is vote with one's feet.

                              LL: agreed, it up to each unit to clean up their act.
                              ____________

                              RF: Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                              don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                              point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                              rubber room...:^)

                              LL: maybe it is time for those who have spent the time to research
                              and the money to recreate, to tell those who haven't that if they want
                              to play, leave the modern stuff at home and stop using poly to construct
                              uniforms. I must have missed something .... I thot we were re-creating
                              history, not trying to devise ways to hide modern items?!
                              ______________

                              RF: Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once
                              we learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and remake/resew
                              /replace much, believe me.

                              LL: Roger Baby, been there done that. Jim converted a regiment's coats as
                              the
                              lace was wrong. Buttons for everyone when we found out the buttons on our
                              coats were wrong. Won't go no further, but check out our Rev unit this year,
                              complete new kit, as new documentation was found !!!
                              _____________

                              RF: I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                              think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                              not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                              suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                              instance?

                              LL: agreed, but if the co-ordinators care about their events they can start
                              tightening up. There are some out there that just don't know and sharing
                              the info with them is good, then there are others who the sites can deal
                              with ...
                              ______________

                              RF: Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                              and pray....

                              LL: agreed Mon Ami. I will not speak of this matter again on this group, but
                              will leave it with the comment,

                              " you can't go without it for two days to help with the illusion of being in
                              1812?"

                              Larry

                              Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car
                              also but does not carry it around the event
                              while wearing period clothing :^)
                            • Tracy <tracyforsyth@hotmail.com>
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                Very well put and made my day got a few laughs from this one..I would
                                like to see such creatures at a re enactment would be verrry
                                interesting
                                Tracy
                                > Bro Larry,
                                >
                                > allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                                > beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                                > wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for
                                the
                                > sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                                > weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...
                                >
                                > I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                                > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                                > unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                                > out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies
                                around
                                > in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                                > sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                                > not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles.
                                Life
                                > is too short.
                                >
                                > Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.
                                >
                                > RF
                              • PEGGY MATHEWS
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                  Michael

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                    Richard,

                                    I am perfectly happy to be called a southerner, born here, been here all my
                                    life and despite what the provincials and colonials might think it is still
                                    the Centre of the Universe and the Empire :-)

                                    P**

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                      Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                      and pray....

                                      RF

                                      Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)

                                      Okay having gotten into trouble once this week! What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                      :-) :-)

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                                        wrote:

                                        What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                        > :-) :-)

                                        http://www.timhortons.com explains it all. Tim Horton's is Canada's
                                        biggest chain of donut/coffee shops.

                                        Also mentioned in this Canadian comic strip as well:

                                        http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0810.html
                                        http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0811.html

                                        RF
                                      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                          In a message dated 1/3/2003 3:46:18 AM Central Standard Time,
                                          ciefranche21e@... writes:

                                          > Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                          Well, there are a few of us that can be understood, Patrick Stewart, Tim
                                          Dalton, Brian Blessed, then of course there's Sean Bean waiving the flag for
                                          Sheffield! All of us from the North can do the accent if called upon but it's
                                          good to keep foreigners (and particularly Southerners) guessing.

                                        • Peter Catley
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                            I understand, I thought it might be one of those funny looking things that
                                            you can use for drinking coffee in the car (automobile) with a secure lid.
                                            An American friend gave me one from Dunking Donuts but I've never really
                                            understood why you'd want to drink coffee on the move, if I need coffee I
                                            need a stop!

                                            Must get back to being on topic!

                                            Cheers now,

                                            P**

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                              and there was me assuming that it wasn't that I couldn't understand, but
                                              that they didn't have anything worth listening to :-)

                                              P**

                                            • gord_1812 <gord_1812@yahoo.com>
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                I have an idea.

                                                Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small spoked
                                                wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it. What
                                                do you have? A period Baby on board! :P

                                                Gord

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "gord_1812 <gord_1812@y...>"
                                                  <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
                                                  > I have an idea.
                                                  >
                                                  > Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small
                                                  spoked
                                                  > wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                  > cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                  > boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                  > main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it.
                                                  What
                                                  > do you have? A period Baby on board! :P
                                                  >
                                                  > Gord

                                                  Sounds like a song cue for the Be Sharps.... :^)

                                                  Funny enough, the more colorful (read: verisimilitudinally-challenged)
                                                  local minutemen and militia societies who, until the authenticity
                                                  movement swept over them like a prairie fire, participated in the
                                                  Lexington/Concord parades in years past, used to have a large
                                                  contingent of mothers (wives of men at arms) pushing their tots in
                                                  such camouflaged strollers and buggies in company formation in the
                                                  Concord parade. Bloody hilarious. No matter how hard they tried,
                                                  these vehicles still looked like modern baby transport and children's
                                                  wagons. I even recall seeing a yard cart (for garden supplies and
                                                  waste) converted over to some sort of tumbril for toddlers. (I
                                                  wondered which of them was going to the Place de la Revolution for
                                                  summary guillotining... :^) )

                                                  All I could think of when I saw these affairs was: you can't polish a
                                                  .... .

                                                  And there was little basis for common people having such things.

                                                  Simply put, pushcarts and the like would not have been afforded to
                                                  and by the families of soldiers. Any sort of wheeled transport was
                                                  scarce, and would have been requisitioned by the army.

                                                  The concept of children leading a cosseted existence was still pretty
                                                  new in the western world. Most people back then, from early childhood
                                                  on, walked, and led pretty tough lives.

                                                  RF