Re: [WarOf1812] How common was hay?

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2003
      In modern terms "dried field grasses" would be hay. Straw is the left over stems of harvested wheat, rye, beans, etc.
      Mark D
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 2, 2003
        Hi Dave,

        Palliasses (From French word for straw, variants palliasse,
        paillasse, etc.) were sacks or mattresses filled with straw, and seem
        to have a history in the British army predating the American
        Revolution, and also seem to have been inherited by the American
        army.

        I didn't mean to imply I thought bedsacks were issued/used on the
        march, but rather that I was wondering whether they were expected in
        winter quarters - when the army had theoretically settled down in
        huts. (My use of "huts" here following Clary's, and different from
        the more permanent "barracks".) As quoted, they'd have been used for
        two men rather than one to each.

        I also have a copy of the 1813 regulations, and they omit the
        word "palliass" which was used in 1808. Whether this is because they
        weren't used, or because they were assumed/implied as routine items I
        do not know. I haven't seen a first hand account of them, so I'm
        curious about what others think.

        I haven't seen much on what campaign life was like for officer's
        wives in the American army of the time - when's your wife going to
        publish? :-)

        If you can track down a copy of "These Relics of Barbarism" it's
        worth it.

        Thanks, and Happy New Year
        Brian S.
      • Brian Howard
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 2, 2003
          A note from the Southern theatre. In an order book of
          the 5th Va militia dated May, 1814 to Nov, 1814, the
          use of boards for tent floors was preferred over
          straw. Straw cost company funds and the boards lasted
          much longer than the staw. This was for the units
          camped around the Norfolk and Portsmouth area of
          Virginia.

          Brian
          2nd Va Regiment, 1813-1815

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • ebclemson <ebclemson@webtv.net>
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "nappingcrow <nappingcrow@h...>" <nappingcrow@h...> wrote:

            Hi Brian,

            Great information thanks. Yes, I'll track down the book you mentioned. I saw that Feltoe had also mentioned "Palliasses" in British issues.

            I've seen "huts" used more than "barracks".... I may be wrong here, but from the American records I've read...it appears huts were single story and barracks were two story? But, Hay <g>.....I'm guessing.

            This has been a great thread on HAY and STRAW. Every thing you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask.

            By the way, "MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES"....is a great period phrase. Col. Jacob Kingsbury, 1st Infantry used this in a letter before the War.

            As far as the accounts of women ...1) Lydia's Bacon's account is good one. Her husband was in the 4th U.States Infantry.
            2) My wife publish? Actually, she has but not this particular subject though she has given presentations on this subject.

            3) Norman Caldwell wrote some very fine
            articles on Civilians during the war era.

            Dave B.