Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 stroller

  • R Feltoe
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
      Tim and Peter,
      It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
      indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
      only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
      "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
      " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
      "Haway the Lad's"
      Richard

      (Not strictly 1812 I know, but after all my historical submissions, I trust
      I'll be granted one non-period commentary)
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
        totally agree with Larry here. As one that has two under two that re-enact we try to get them involved too. Josh (my oldest) has just achieved a milestone this season
        because he is finally breeched. This means he can now wear trousers since he is no longer in diapers. (oh we do use modern diapers but have a cloth cover for them)
        If you get the kids involved you have one more chance to educate the public on things like kids clothing, puddin' caps etc. and it gives another thing for the public to
        see other than small kids wearing grown up soldier uniforms shooting toy muskets at each other. Not that Josh doesn't have a uniform (he's a Major) but that is for dress
        up and not at events. We don't take a stroller, but we do take a playpen which is hidden each morning. As far as diaper bags go it is amazing what a campfollower canfit
        in those pockets and what I can fit into my back pack!!

        Kevin
        89th

        Larry Lozon wrote:

        > "No modern strollers in camp or to be used when wearing 1812 clothing while
        > spectators are in attendance"

      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
          Thanks Roger

          P**

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
            In a message dated 1/2/2003 12:20:20 PM Central Standard Time,
            peter.catley@... writes:

            > Peter,
            >
            > strollers (US/CDN) are prams (UK).
            >
            > RF

            Ooo heavens no! a pram (perambulator) is a MUCH more elaborate device hardly
            ever seen today. The push chair is the British equivalent. A pram is not for
            toddlers but for babies and is a bed on wheels, big wheels at that. We used
            to use the wheels for our trolleys (soap boxes in the US) when I was growing
            up.

          • Peter Catley
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
              Push chairs are also known as buggies. I agree with what you've said Tim, I
              thought it at the time of Rogers e-mail but didn't respond since I was
              already way off topic :-)

              Cheers all,

              P**

              36:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                Push chairs are also known as buggies.
                _________________

                Squire P**

                ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/

                Larry
              • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                  > From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                  >
                  > Push chairs are also known as buggies.
                  > _________________
                  >
                  > Squire P**
                  >
                  > ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/
                  >

                  > Larry

                  and http://www.poshtots.com ! :^)

                  Lots of prams and...strollers.

                  BTW my sister-in-law called us up from Winchester, Hants, this AM to
                  wish us a belated Happy New Year, and, in the course of conversation,
                  I asked her about it as well. As I also recall from hearing it among
                  young parents when we were over there a couple of years back, she
                  says pushchairs, buggies, collapsible prams, prams and strollers as
                  terms for "collapsible chairs on wheels for transporting toddlers"
                  are all words in use for same among her and the other mothers she
                  knows in England. Posh prams, or baby buggies, are still, well,
                  prams, but the usage is blurring. Her daughter is 4. My youngest is
                  5, long out of the pram/stroller stage; she and her brothers used to
                  refer to theirs as the "War Wagon" (don't ask) :^)

                  Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                  by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                  can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                  "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.

                  RF
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                    From: <fullerfamily@...>

                    > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                    > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                    > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                    > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                    ____________________

                    Dear RF

                    As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                    we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                    re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                    American Revolution event.

                    Larry
                  • PEGGY Mathews
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                      >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
                      >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: [WarOf1812] 1812 stroller
                      >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:36:39 -0500
                      >
                      >From: <fullerfamily@...>
                      >
                      > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                      > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                      > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                      > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                      > ____________________
                      >
                      > Dear RF
                      >
                      > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                      >we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                      >re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                      >American Revolution event.
                      >
                      >Larry

                      Neither are polyester uniforms, but I've seen those at 1812 events too. ;-)
                      So without an umbrella organization to set and maintain standards it comes
                      back to Roger's statement. "badda-boom, badda-bing"

                      Michael

                    • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                        > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                        >
                        > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in
                        use
                        > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue
                        nobody
                        > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                        > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                        > ____________________
                        >
                        > Dear RF
                        >
                        > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time
                        Period,
                        > we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                        > re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of
                        the
                        > American Revolution event.
                        >
                        > Larry

                        Bro Larry,

                        allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                        beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                        wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for the
                        sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                        weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...

                        I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                        everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                        unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                        out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                        in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                        sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                        not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                        is too short.

                        Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                        RF
                      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                          In a message dated 1/2/2003 3:18:13 PM Central Standard Time,
                          feltoe@... writes:

                          > It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
                          > indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
                          > only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
                          > "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
                          > " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
                          > "Haway the Lad's"

                          SOUTHERNER!!!!!!!!!!! SOUTHERNER!!!!! @#%^&*$^$% calling a YORKSHIREMAN a
                          SOUTHERNER. (North Yorkshire at that)

                          Of course this means war ;-)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                            From: <fullerfamily@...>

                            RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                            beards....)they still do.

                            LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to use them
                            as at Saratoga
                            ________________

                            RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring along the
                            modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not have been
                            allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and
                            all that...

                            LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic problem and
                            not a re-enactment problem. I know of a golf club that will not allow blue
                            jeans
                            worn on the greens and no matter what the wife says, they are not worn!
                            ____________

                            RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                            everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                            unit.

                            LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of the guy
                            who
                            buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes and
                            tries
                            to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park beside
                            his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern camp)
                            _______________

                            RF: Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                            out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                            in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                            sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                            not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                            is too short. Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                            LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far better than
                            most.
                            So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                            Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it" law.
                            It is only for two days.

                            A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?
                          • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

                              > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                              >
                              > RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along
                              with
                              > beards....)they still do.
                              >
                              > LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to
                              use them
                              > as at Saratoga
                              > ________________

                              Grandmaster Lar,

                              that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. Of course, the muddy,
                              hilly terrain, and the "good Scottish weather" as my wife termed it
                              there, didn't exactly lend itself to, er, prams :^)... But I have
                              seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm, 1999; Ft Lee,
                              NJ, 1998. I still see it at local AWI events here in the Boston area,
                              but it's mostly from ....ah, why bother mentioning names and units...

                              > RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring
                              along the
                              > modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not
                              have been
                              > allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed",
                              and
                              > all that...
                              >
                              > LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic
                              problem and
                              > not a re-enactment problem.

                              Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                              in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                              disagreements. And enforce them.

                              Of course, if the unit and hosts don't care, the only thing one can
                              do is vote with one's feet.

                              > ____________
                              >
                              > RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                              > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                              > unit.
                              >
                              > LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of
                              the guy
                              > who
                              > buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes
                              and
                              > tries
                              > to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park
                              beside
                              > his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern
                              camp)
                              > _______________

                              Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                              don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                              point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                              rubber room...:^)

                              > LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far
                              better than
                              > most.

                              Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once we
                              learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and
                              remake/resew/replace much, believe me.

                              > So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                              I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                              think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                              not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                              suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                              instance?

                              > Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it"
                              law.
                              > It is only for two days.
                              >
                              > A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?

                              Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                              and pray....

                              RF

                              Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                From: <fullerfamily@...>

                                RF: that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. ...But I have
                                seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm,
                                1999; Ft Lee, NJ, 1998.

                                LL: Grenadier Fuller, looks to me like it is cleaning up ....
                                Shouldn't we continue?
                                ___________________

                                RF: Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                                in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                                disagreements. And enforce them. Of course, if the unit and hosts don't
                                care,
                                the only thing one can do is vote with one's feet.

                                LL: agreed, it up to each unit to clean up their act.
                                ____________

                                RF: Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                                don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                                point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                                rubber room...:^)

                                LL: maybe it is time for those who have spent the time to research
                                and the money to recreate, to tell those who haven't that if they want
                                to play, leave the modern stuff at home and stop using poly to construct
                                uniforms. I must have missed something .... I thot we were re-creating
                                history, not trying to devise ways to hide modern items?!
                                ______________

                                RF: Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once
                                we learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and remake/resew
                                /replace much, believe me.

                                LL: Roger Baby, been there done that. Jim converted a regiment's coats as
                                the
                                lace was wrong. Buttons for everyone when we found out the buttons on our
                                coats were wrong. Won't go no further, but check out our Rev unit this year,
                                complete new kit, as new documentation was found !!!
                                _____________

                                RF: I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                                think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                                not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                                suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                                instance?

                                LL: agreed, but if the co-ordinators care about their events they can start
                                tightening up. There are some out there that just don't know and sharing
                                the info with them is good, then there are others who the sites can deal
                                with ...
                                ______________

                                RF: Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                and pray....

                                LL: agreed Mon Ami. I will not speak of this matter again on this group, but
                                will leave it with the comment,

                                " you can't go without it for two days to help with the illusion of being in
                                1812?"

                                Larry

                                Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car
                                also but does not carry it around the event
                                while wearing period clothing :^)
                              • Tracy <tracyforsyth@hotmail.com>
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  Very well put and made my day got a few laughs from this one..I would
                                  like to see such creatures at a re enactment would be verrry
                                  interesting
                                  Tracy
                                  > Bro Larry,
                                  >
                                  > allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                                  > beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                                  > wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for
                                  the
                                  > sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                                  > weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...
                                  >
                                  > I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                                  > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                                  > unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                                  > out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies
                                  around
                                  > in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                                  > sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                                  > not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles.
                                  Life
                                  > is too short.
                                  >
                                  > Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.
                                  >
                                  > RF
                                • PEGGY MATHEWS
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                    Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                    Michael

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                      Richard,

                                      I am perfectly happy to be called a southerner, born here, been here all my
                                      life and despite what the provincials and colonials might think it is still
                                      the Centre of the Universe and the Empire :-)

                                      P**

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                        Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                        and pray....

                                        RF

                                        Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)

                                        Okay having gotten into trouble once this week! What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                        :-) :-)

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                                          wrote:

                                          What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                          > :-) :-)

                                          http://www.timhortons.com explains it all. Tim Horton's is Canada's
                                          biggest chain of donut/coffee shops.

                                          Also mentioned in this Canadian comic strip as well:

                                          http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0810.html
                                          http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0811.html

                                          RF
                                        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                            In a message dated 1/3/2003 3:46:18 AM Central Standard Time,
                                            ciefranche21e@... writes:

                                            > Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                            Well, there are a few of us that can be understood, Patrick Stewart, Tim
                                            Dalton, Brian Blessed, then of course there's Sean Bean waiving the flag for
                                            Sheffield! All of us from the North can do the accent if called upon but it's
                                            good to keep foreigners (and particularly Southerners) guessing.

                                          • Peter Catley
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                              I understand, I thought it might be one of those funny looking things that
                                              you can use for drinking coffee in the car (automobile) with a secure lid.
                                              An American friend gave me one from Dunking Donuts but I've never really
                                              understood why you'd want to drink coffee on the move, if I need coffee I
                                              need a stop!

                                              Must get back to being on topic!

                                              Cheers now,

                                              P**

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                and there was me assuming that it wasn't that I couldn't understand, but
                                                that they didn't have anything worth listening to :-)

                                                P**

                                              • gord_1812 <gord_1812@yahoo.com>
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                  I have an idea.

                                                  Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small spoked
                                                  wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                  cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                  boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                  main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it. What
                                                  do you have? A period Baby on board! :P

                                                  Gord

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "gord_1812 <gord_1812@y...>"
                                                    <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
                                                    > I have an idea.
                                                    >
                                                    > Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small
                                                    spoked
                                                    > wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                    > cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                    > boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                    > main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it.
                                                    What
                                                    > do you have? A period Baby on board! :P
                                                    >
                                                    > Gord

                                                    Sounds like a song cue for the Be Sharps.... :^)

                                                    Funny enough, the more colorful (read: verisimilitudinally-challenged)
                                                    local minutemen and militia societies who, until the authenticity
                                                    movement swept over them like a prairie fire, participated in the
                                                    Lexington/Concord parades in years past, used to have a large
                                                    contingent of mothers (wives of men at arms) pushing their tots in
                                                    such camouflaged strollers and buggies in company formation in the
                                                    Concord parade. Bloody hilarious. No matter how hard they tried,
                                                    these vehicles still looked like modern baby transport and children's
                                                    wagons. I even recall seeing a yard cart (for garden supplies and
                                                    waste) converted over to some sort of tumbril for toddlers. (I
                                                    wondered which of them was going to the Place de la Revolution for
                                                    summary guillotining... :^) )

                                                    All I could think of when I saw these affairs was: you can't polish a
                                                    .... .

                                                    And there was little basis for common people having such things.

                                                    Simply put, pushcarts and the like would not have been afforded to
                                                    and by the families of soldiers. Any sort of wheeled transport was
                                                    scarce, and would have been requisitioned by the army.

                                                    The concept of children leading a cosseted existence was still pretty
                                                    new in the western world. Most people back then, from early childhood
                                                    on, walked, and led pretty tough lives.

                                                    RF