Re: [WarOf1812] Re: 1812 stroller

  • R Feltoe
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
      Tim and Peter,
      It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
      indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
      only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
      "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
      " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
      "Haway the Lad's"
      Richard

      (Not strictly 1812 I know, but after all my historical submissions, I trust
      I'll be granted one non-period commentary)
    • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
        wrote:
        > Small language problem :-) Is a stroller a wheeled device for
        transporting
        > small people?

        Peter,

        strollers (US/CDN) are prams (UK).

        RF
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
          totally agree with Larry here. As one that has two under two that re-enact we try to get them involved too. Josh (my oldest) has just achieved a milestone this season
          because he is finally breeched. This means he can now wear trousers since he is no longer in diapers. (oh we do use modern diapers but have a cloth cover for them)
          If you get the kids involved you have one more chance to educate the public on things like kids clothing, puddin' caps etc. and it gives another thing for the public to
          see other than small kids wearing grown up soldier uniforms shooting toy muskets at each other. Not that Josh doesn't have a uniform (he's a Major) but that is for dress
          up and not at events. We don't take a stroller, but we do take a playpen which is hidden each morning. As far as diaper bags go it is amazing what a campfollower canfit
          in those pockets and what I can fit into my back pack!!

          Kevin
          89th

          Larry Lozon wrote:

          > "No modern strollers in camp or to be used when wearing 1812 clothing while
          > spectators are in attendance"

        • Peter Catley
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
            Thanks Roger

            P**

            > Small language problem :-) Is a stroller a wheeled device for
            transporting
            > small people?

            Peter,

            strollers (US/CDN) are prams (UK).

            RF

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050205
            36:HM/A=1328027/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870030;7586687;u?http://
            www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

            square miles...

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
              In a message dated 1/2/2003 12:20:20 PM Central Standard Time,
              peter.catley@... writes:

              > Peter,
              >
              > strollers (US/CDN) are prams (UK).
              >
              > RF

              Ooo heavens no! a pram (perambulator) is a MUCH more elaborate device hardly
              ever seen today. The push chair is the British equivalent. A pram is not for
              toddlers but for babies and is a bed on wheels, big wheels at that. We used
              to use the wheels for our trolleys (soap boxes in the US) when I was growing
              up.

            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                Push chairs are also known as buggies. I agree with what you've said Tim, I
                thought it at the time of Rogers e-mail but didn't respond since I was
                already way off topic :-)

                Cheers all,

                P**

                36:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                  From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                  Push chairs are also known as buggies.
                  _________________

                  Squire P**

                  ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/

                  Larry
                • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                    > From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                    >
                    > Push chairs are also known as buggies.
                    > _________________
                    >
                    > Squire P**
                    >
                    > ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/
                    >

                    > Larry

                    and http://www.poshtots.com ! :^)

                    Lots of prams and...strollers.

                    BTW my sister-in-law called us up from Winchester, Hants, this AM to
                    wish us a belated Happy New Year, and, in the course of conversation,
                    I asked her about it as well. As I also recall from hearing it among
                    young parents when we were over there a couple of years back, she
                    says pushchairs, buggies, collapsible prams, prams and strollers as
                    terms for "collapsible chairs on wheels for transporting toddlers"
                    are all words in use for same among her and the other mothers she
                    knows in England. Posh prams, or baby buggies, are still, well,
                    prams, but the usage is blurring. Her daughter is 4. My youngest is
                    5, long out of the pram/stroller stage; she and her brothers used to
                    refer to theirs as the "War Wagon" (don't ask) :^)

                    Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                    by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                    can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                    "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.

                    RF
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                      From: <fullerfamily@...>

                      > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                      > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                      > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                      > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                      ____________________

                      Dear RF

                      As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                      we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                      re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                      American Revolution event.

                      Larry
                    • PEGGY Mathews
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                        >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
                        >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: [WarOf1812] 1812 stroller
                        >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:36:39 -0500
                        >
                        >From: <fullerfamily@...>
                        >
                        > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                        > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                        > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                        > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                        > ____________________
                        >
                        > Dear RF
                        >
                        > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                        >we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                        >re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                        >American Revolution event.
                        >
                        >Larry

                        Neither are polyester uniforms, but I've seen those at 1812 events too. ;-)
                        So without an umbrella organization to set and maintain standards it comes
                        back to Roger's statement. "badda-boom, badda-bing"

                        Michael

                      • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                          > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                          >
                          > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in
                          use
                          > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue
                          nobody
                          > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                          > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                          > ____________________
                          >
                          > Dear RF
                          >
                          > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time
                          Period,
                          > we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                          > re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of
                          the
                          > American Revolution event.
                          >
                          > Larry

                          Bro Larry,

                          allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                          beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                          wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for the
                          sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                          weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...

                          I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                          everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                          unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                          out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                          in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                          sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                          not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                          is too short.

                          Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                          RF
                        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                            In a message dated 1/2/2003 3:18:13 PM Central Standard Time,
                            feltoe@... writes:

                            > It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
                            > indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
                            > only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
                            > "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
                            > " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
                            > "Haway the Lad's"

                            SOUTHERNER!!!!!!!!!!! SOUTHERNER!!!!! @#%^&*$^$% calling a YORKSHIREMAN a
                            SOUTHERNER. (North Yorkshire at that)

                            Of course this means war ;-)

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                              From: <fullerfamily@...>

                              RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                              beards....)they still do.

                              LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to use them
                              as at Saratoga
                              ________________

                              RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring along the
                              modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not have been
                              allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and
                              all that...

                              LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic problem and
                              not a re-enactment problem. I know of a golf club that will not allow blue
                              jeans
                              worn on the greens and no matter what the wife says, they are not worn!
                              ____________

                              RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                              everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                              unit.

                              LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of the guy
                              who
                              buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes and
                              tries
                              to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park beside
                              his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern camp)
                              _______________

                              RF: Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                              out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                              in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                              sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                              not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                              is too short. Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                              LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far better than
                              most.
                              So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                              Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it" law.
                              It is only for two days.

                              A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?
                            • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

                                > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                                >
                                > RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along
                                with
                                > beards....)they still do.
                                >
                                > LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to
                                use them
                                > as at Saratoga
                                > ________________

                                Grandmaster Lar,

                                that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. Of course, the muddy,
                                hilly terrain, and the "good Scottish weather" as my wife termed it
                                there, didn't exactly lend itself to, er, prams :^)... But I have
                                seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm, 1999; Ft Lee,
                                NJ, 1998. I still see it at local AWI events here in the Boston area,
                                but it's mostly from ....ah, why bother mentioning names and units...

                                > RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring
                                along the
                                > modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not
                                have been
                                > allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed",
                                and
                                > all that...
                                >
                                > LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic
                                problem and
                                > not a re-enactment problem.

                                Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                                in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                                disagreements. And enforce them.

                                Of course, if the unit and hosts don't care, the only thing one can
                                do is vote with one's feet.

                                > ____________
                                >
                                > RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                                > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                                > unit.
                                >
                                > LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of
                                the guy
                                > who
                                > buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes
                                and
                                > tries
                                > to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park
                                beside
                                > his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern
                                camp)
                                > _______________

                                Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                                don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                                point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                                rubber room...:^)

                                > LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far
                                better than
                                > most.

                                Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once we
                                learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and
                                remake/resew/replace much, believe me.

                                > So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                                I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                                think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                                not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                                suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                                instance?

                                > Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it"
                                law.
                                > It is only for two days.
                                >
                                > A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?

                                Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                and pray....

                                RF

                                Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  From: <fullerfamily@...>

                                  RF: that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. ...But I have
                                  seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm,
                                  1999; Ft Lee, NJ, 1998.

                                  LL: Grenadier Fuller, looks to me like it is cleaning up ....
                                  Shouldn't we continue?
                                  ___________________

                                  RF: Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                                  in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                                  disagreements. And enforce them. Of course, if the unit and hosts don't
                                  care,
                                  the only thing one can do is vote with one's feet.

                                  LL: agreed, it up to each unit to clean up their act.
                                  ____________

                                  RF: Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                                  don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                                  point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                                  rubber room...:^)

                                  LL: maybe it is time for those who have spent the time to research
                                  and the money to recreate, to tell those who haven't that if they want
                                  to play, leave the modern stuff at home and stop using poly to construct
                                  uniforms. I must have missed something .... I thot we were re-creating
                                  history, not trying to devise ways to hide modern items?!
                                  ______________

                                  RF: Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once
                                  we learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and remake/resew
                                  /replace much, believe me.

                                  LL: Roger Baby, been there done that. Jim converted a regiment's coats as
                                  the
                                  lace was wrong. Buttons for everyone when we found out the buttons on our
                                  coats were wrong. Won't go no further, but check out our Rev unit this year,
                                  complete new kit, as new documentation was found !!!
                                  _____________

                                  RF: I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                                  think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                                  not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                                  suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                                  instance?

                                  LL: agreed, but if the co-ordinators care about their events they can start
                                  tightening up. There are some out there that just don't know and sharing
                                  the info with them is good, then there are others who the sites can deal
                                  with ...
                                  ______________

                                  RF: Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                  and pray....

                                  LL: agreed Mon Ami. I will not speak of this matter again on this group, but
                                  will leave it with the comment,

                                  " you can't go without it for two days to help with the illusion of being in
                                  1812?"

                                  Larry

                                  Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car
                                  also but does not carry it around the event
                                  while wearing period clothing :^)
                                • Tracy <tracyforsyth@hotmail.com>
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                    Very well put and made my day got a few laughs from this one..I would
                                    like to see such creatures at a re enactment would be verrry
                                    interesting
                                    Tracy
                                    > Bro Larry,
                                    >
                                    > allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                                    > beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                                    > wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for
                                    the
                                    > sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                                    > weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...
                                    >
                                    > I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                                    > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                                    > unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                                    > out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies
                                    around
                                    > in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                                    > sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                                    > not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles.
                                    Life
                                    > is too short.
                                    >
                                    > Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.
                                    >
                                    > RF
                                  • PEGGY MATHEWS
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                      Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                      Michael

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                        Richard,

                                        I am perfectly happy to be called a southerner, born here, been here all my
                                        life and despite what the provincials and colonials might think it is still
                                        the Centre of the Universe and the Empire :-)

                                        P**

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                          Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                          and pray....

                                          RF

                                          Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)

                                          Okay having gotten into trouble once this week! What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                          :-) :-)

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                                            wrote:

                                            What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                            > :-) :-)

                                            http://www.timhortons.com explains it all. Tim Horton's is Canada's
                                            biggest chain of donut/coffee shops.

                                            Also mentioned in this Canadian comic strip as well:

                                            http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0810.html
                                            http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0811.html

                                            RF
                                          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                              In a message dated 1/3/2003 3:46:18 AM Central Standard Time,
                                              ciefranche21e@... writes:

                                              > Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                              Well, there are a few of us that can be understood, Patrick Stewart, Tim
                                              Dalton, Brian Blessed, then of course there's Sean Bean waiving the flag for
                                              Sheffield! All of us from the North can do the accent if called upon but it's
                                              good to keep foreigners (and particularly Southerners) guessing.

                                            • Peter Catley
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                I understand, I thought it might be one of those funny looking things that
                                                you can use for drinking coffee in the car (automobile) with a secure lid.
                                                An American friend gave me one from Dunking Donuts but I've never really
                                                understood why you'd want to drink coffee on the move, if I need coffee I
                                                need a stop!

                                                Must get back to being on topic!

                                                Cheers now,

                                                P**

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                  and there was me assuming that it wasn't that I couldn't understand, but
                                                  that they didn't have anything worth listening to :-)

                                                  P**

                                                • gord_1812 <gord_1812@yahoo.com>
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                    I have an idea.

                                                    Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small spoked
                                                    wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                    cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                    boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                    main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it. What
                                                    do you have? A period Baby on board! :P

                                                    Gord

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "gord_1812 <gord_1812@y...>"
                                                      <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
                                                      > I have an idea.
                                                      >
                                                      > Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small
                                                      spoked
                                                      > wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                      > cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                      > boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                      > main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it.
                                                      What
                                                      > do you have? A period Baby on board! :P
                                                      >
                                                      > Gord

                                                      Sounds like a song cue for the Be Sharps.... :^)

                                                      Funny enough, the more colorful (read: verisimilitudinally-challenged)
                                                      local minutemen and militia societies who, until the authenticity
                                                      movement swept over them like a prairie fire, participated in the
                                                      Lexington/Concord parades in years past, used to have a large
                                                      contingent of mothers (wives of men at arms) pushing their tots in
                                                      such camouflaged strollers and buggies in company formation in the
                                                      Concord parade. Bloody hilarious. No matter how hard they tried,
                                                      these vehicles still looked like modern baby transport and children's
                                                      wagons. I even recall seeing a yard cart (for garden supplies and
                                                      waste) converted over to some sort of tumbril for toddlers. (I
                                                      wondered which of them was going to the Place de la Revolution for
                                                      summary guillotining... :^) )

                                                      All I could think of when I saw these affairs was: you can't polish a
                                                      .... .

                                                      And there was little basis for common people having such things.

                                                      Simply put, pushcarts and the like would not have been afforded to
                                                      and by the families of soldiers. Any sort of wheeled transport was
                                                      scarce, and would have been requisitioned by the army.

                                                      The concept of children leading a cosseted existence was still pretty
                                                      new in the western world. Most people back then, from early childhood
                                                      on, walked, and led pretty tough lives.

                                                      RF