1812 stroller

    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
      From: <dave.bev@...>

      " ... our members are volunteers who do this for fun and at some
      expense to themselves, and I am not willing to demand that a member
      spend money for an 1812 stroller after they have spent several thousand
      on a musket, uniform, period tent, etc.
      _____________

      Dave,

      I agreed that we are all volunteers, but, just like joining a stamp
      collectors club,
      an electric train club, a golf club, etc. there are rules that members must
      obey
      to maintain their membership.

      Respectfully, one rule could be

      "No modern strollers in camp or to be used when wearing 1812 clothing while
      spectators are in attendance"

      I am not replying to this post to start another "Killer Thread" but possibly
      all re-enactors
      could refrain from using a stroller or any modern items for two days in
      order to maintain
      an illusion of 1812.

      Jestathot

      Larry Lozon
      AdC Crown Forces
    • R Feltoe
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
        Tim and Peter,
        It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
        indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
        only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
        "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
        " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
        "Haway the Lad's"
        Richard

        (Not strictly 1812 I know, but after all my historical submissions, I trust
        I'll be granted one non-period commentary)
      • Peter Catley
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
          Small language problem :-) Is a stroller a wheeled device for transporting
          small people? We'd call it a pushchair!

          Happy New Year to one and all, lets hope that it is a PEACEFUL 2003.

          Take care now.

          P**

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17050205
          36:HM/A=1327986/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870027;7586687;a?http://
          www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

          square miles...

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
            wrote:
            > Small language problem :-) Is a stroller a wheeled device for
            transporting
            > small people?

            Peter,

            strollers (US/CDN) are prams (UK).

            RF
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 1, 2003
              totally agree with Larry here. As one that has two under two that re-enact we try to get them involved too. Josh (my oldest) has just achieved a milestone this season
              because he is finally breeched. This means he can now wear trousers since he is no longer in diapers. (oh we do use modern diapers but have a cloth cover for them)
              If you get the kids involved you have one more chance to educate the public on things like kids clothing, puddin' caps etc. and it gives another thing for the public to
              see other than small kids wearing grown up soldier uniforms shooting toy muskets at each other. Not that Josh doesn't have a uniform (he's a Major) but that is for dress
              up and not at events. We don't take a stroller, but we do take a playpen which is hidden each morning. As far as diaper bags go it is amazing what a campfollower canfit
              in those pockets and what I can fit into my back pack!!

              Kevin
              89th

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                Thanks Roger

                P**

                36:HM/A=1328027/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870030;7586687;u?http://

              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                  In a message dated 1/2/2003 12:20:20 PM Central Standard Time,
                  peter.catley@... writes:

                  > Peter,
                  >
                  > strollers (US/CDN) are prams (UK).
                  >
                  > RF

                  Ooo heavens no! a pram (perambulator) is a MUCH more elaborate device hardly
                  ever seen today. The push chair is the British equivalent. A pram is not for
                  toddlers but for babies and is a bed on wheels, big wheels at that. We used
                  to use the wheels for our trolleys (soap boxes in the US) when I was growing
                  up.

                • Peter Catley
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                    Push chairs are also known as buggies. I agree with what you've said Tim, I
                    thought it at the time of Rogers e-mail but didn't respond since I was
                    already way off topic :-)

                    Cheers all,

                    P**

                    36:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                      From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

                      Push chairs are also known as buggies.
                      _________________

                      Squire P**

                      ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/

                      Larry
                    • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                        > From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                        >
                        > Push chairs are also known as buggies.
                        > _________________
                        >
                        > Squire P**
                        >
                        > ~ take a peek at http://www.combistrollerstore.com/
                        >

                        > Larry

                        and http://www.poshtots.com ! :^)

                        Lots of prams and...strollers.

                        BTW my sister-in-law called us up from Winchester, Hants, this AM to
                        wish us a belated Happy New Year, and, in the course of conversation,
                        I asked her about it as well. As I also recall from hearing it among
                        young parents when we were over there a couple of years back, she
                        says pushchairs, buggies, collapsible prams, prams and strollers as
                        terms for "collapsible chairs on wheels for transporting toddlers"
                        are all words in use for same among her and the other mothers she
                        knows in England. Posh prams, or baby buggies, are still, well,
                        prams, but the usage is blurring. Her daughter is 4. My youngest is
                        5, long out of the pram/stroller stage; she and her brothers used to
                        refer to theirs as the "War Wagon" (don't ask) :^)

                        Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                        by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                        can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                        "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.

                        RF
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                          From: <fullerfamily@...>

                          > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                          > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                          > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                          > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                          ____________________

                          Dear RF

                          As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                          we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                          re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                          American Revolution event.

                          Larry
                        • PEGGY Mathews
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                            >From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
                            >To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: [WarOf1812] 1812 stroller
                            >Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:36:39 -0500
                            >
                            >From: <fullerfamily@...>
                            >
                            > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in use
                            > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue nobody
                            > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                            > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                            > ____________________
                            >
                            > Dear RF
                            >
                            > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time Period,
                            >we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                            >re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of the
                            >American Revolution event.
                            >
                            >Larry

                            Neither are polyester uniforms, but I've seen those at 1812 events too. ;-)
                            So without an umbrella organization to set and maintain standards it comes
                            back to Roger's statement. "badda-boom, badda-bing"

                            Michael

                          • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:
                              > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                              >
                              > > Now as to whether these should be allowed at 1812 reenactments in
                              use
                              > > by participants....aaaaah..fuhgeddaboudit- this is an issue
                              nobody
                              > > can win. One would either be labelled "mean-spirited" or
                              > > "inauthentic", depending on one's stated point of view.
                              > ____________________
                              >
                              > Dear RF
                              >
                              > As you and I are 'Brothers-in-Arms' in the Rev Time
                              Period,
                              > we both know that no modern 'Rug-Rat-Pusher' is allowed used by
                              > re-enactors at a British Brigade, Continental Line or Brigade of
                              the
                              > American Revolution event.
                              >
                              > Larry

                              Bro Larry,

                              allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                              beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                              wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for the
                              sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                              weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...

                              I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                              everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                              unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                              out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                              in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                              sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                              not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                              is too short.

                              Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                              RF
                            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                In a message dated 1/2/2003 3:18:13 PM Central Standard Time,
                                feltoe@... writes:

                                > It's sure easy to see you two gentlemen are Southerners, trolley and buggie
                                > indeed. Up our way "Geordieland" the dismantled pram was converted into the
                                > only true mode of conveyance for the up and coming "Sterling Moss" i.e. a
                                > "bogie" pronounced "Bowgey" but not to be confused with "bogey" (snott)
                                > " an' it gan's lyke the clapp'as doon the tip" the bogie, not the bogey.
                                > "Haway the Lad's"

                                SOUTHERNER!!!!!!!!!!! SOUTHERNER!!!!! @#%^&*$^$% calling a YORKSHIREMAN a
                                SOUTHERNER. (North Yorkshire at that)

                                Of course this means war ;-)

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                  From: <fullerfamily@...>

                                  RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                                  beards....)they still do.

                                  LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to use them
                                  as at Saratoga
                                  ________________

                                  RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring along the
                                  modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not have been
                                  allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and
                                  all that...

                                  LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic problem and
                                  not a re-enactment problem. I know of a golf club that will not allow blue
                                  jeans
                                  worn on the greens and no matter what the wife says, they are not worn!
                                  ____________

                                  RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                                  everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                                  unit.

                                  LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of the guy
                                  who
                                  buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes and
                                  tries
                                  to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park beside
                                  his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern camp)
                                  _______________

                                  RF: Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                                  out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies around
                                  in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                                  sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                                  not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles. Life
                                  is too short. Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.

                                  LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far better than
                                  most.
                                  So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                                  Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it" law.
                                  It is only for two days.

                                  A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?
                                • celer_et_audax_7_60th <fullerfamily@spri
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@n...> wrote:

                                    > From: <fullerfamily@s...>
                                    >
                                    > RF: allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along
                                    with
                                    > beards....)they still do.
                                    >
                                    > LL: and we both know that in the British camp they are told not to
                                    use them
                                    > as at Saratoga
                                    > ________________

                                    Grandmaster Lar,

                                    that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. Of course, the muddy,
                                    hilly terrain, and the "good Scottish weather" as my wife termed it
                                    there, didn't exactly lend itself to, er, prams :^)... But I have
                                    seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm, 1999; Ft Lee,
                                    NJ, 1998. I still see it at local AWI events here in the Boston area,
                                    but it's mostly from ....ah, why bother mentioning names and units...

                                    > RF: The usual excuse is that if the woman wasn't allowed to bring
                                    along the
                                    > modern stroller/pram/buggie for the sprogs, said man would not
                                    have been
                                    > allowed to participate for the weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed",
                                    and
                                    > all that...
                                    >
                                    > LL: I never had this problem with a wife, so it seems a domestic
                                    problem and
                                    > not a re-enactment problem.

                                    Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                                    in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                                    disagreements. And enforce them.

                                    Of course, if the unit and hosts don't care, the only thing one can
                                    do is vote with one's feet.

                                    > ____________
                                    >
                                    > RF: I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                                    > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                                    > unit.
                                    >
                                    > LL: Maybe it is time to tell those it is not fair for the likes of
                                    the guy
                                    > who
                                    > buys superfine material, has a real historic tailor sew his clothes
                                    and
                                    > tries
                                    > to do it correctly to have a lady with an aluminium lawn chair park
                                    beside
                                    > his wedge. (it happened and she was told to move over to the modern
                                    camp)
                                    > _______________

                                    Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                                    don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                                    point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                                    rubber room...:^)

                                    > LL: I have seen you in multi time periods and know you do it far
                                    better than
                                    > most.

                                    Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once we
                                    learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and
                                    remake/resew/replace much, believe me.

                                    > So it may be time to tell those who don't ...... how to.

                                    I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                                    think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                                    not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                                    suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                                    instance?

                                    > Possibly it time to uphold the "if it ain't 1812 don't bring it"
                                    law.
                                    > It is only for two days.
                                    >
                                    > A good resolution for 2003 ....?!?!?

                                    Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                    and pray....

                                    RF

                                    Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                      From: <fullerfamily@...>

                                      RF: that is true- I did not see any at Saratoga. ...But I have
                                      seen it in years past: Rock Ford, 1998; Boone's Farm,
                                      1999; Ft Lee, NJ, 1998.

                                      LL: Grenadier Fuller, looks to me like it is cleaning up ....
                                      Shouldn't we continue?
                                      ___________________

                                      RF: Then the CO and membership of said unit should have already had rules
                                      in place about that sort of thing, in order to avoid potential
                                      disagreements. And enforce them. Of course, if the unit and hosts don't
                                      care,
                                      the only thing one can do is vote with one's feet.

                                      LL: agreed, it up to each unit to clean up their act.
                                      ____________

                                      RF: Well, you're right, it isn't fair, but certain people just frankly
                                      don't give a you-know-what about that sort of thing. I've got to the
                                      point where I just ignore this stuff, otherwise I'd end up in the
                                      rubber room...:^)

                                      LL: maybe it is time for those who have spent the time to research
                                      and the money to recreate, to tell those who haven't that if they want
                                      to play, leave the modern stuff at home and stop using poly to construct
                                      uniforms. I must have missed something .... I thot we were re-creating
                                      history, not trying to devise ways to hide modern items?!
                                      ______________

                                      RF: Larry, you have no idea how much of our kit we have chucked, once
                                      we learned hitherto unknown info. We have had to unlearn and remake/resew
                                      /replace much, believe me.

                                      LL: Roger Baby, been there done that. Jim converted a regiment's coats as
                                      the
                                      lace was wrong. Buttons for everyone when we found out the buttons on our
                                      coats were wrong. Won't go no further, but check out our Rev unit this year,
                                      complete new kit, as new documentation was found !!!
                                      _____________

                                      RF: I am not going to go up to people and tell them, unbidden, what I
                                      think they are doing wrong. For their particular impression, I might
                                      not know enough to comment one way or the other, anyway. Besides,
                                      suddenly caught on the defensive, who is going to listen, in such an
                                      instance?

                                      LL: agreed, but if the co-ordinators care about their events they can start
                                      tightening up. There are some out there that just don't know and sharing
                                      the info with them is good, then there are others who the sites can deal
                                      with ...
                                      ______________

                                      RF: Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                      and pray....

                                      LL: agreed Mon Ami. I will not speak of this matter again on this group, but
                                      will leave it with the comment,

                                      " you can't go without it for two days to help with the illusion of being in
                                      1812?"

                                      Larry

                                      Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car
                                      also but does not carry it around the event
                                      while wearing period clothing :^)
                                    • Tracy <tracyforsyth@hotmail.com>
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                        Very well put and made my day got a few laughs from this one..I would
                                        like to see such creatures at a re enactment would be verrry
                                        interesting
                                        Tracy
                                        > Bro Larry,
                                        >
                                        > allowed at BB/CL/BAR events they are not, yet, turn up (along with
                                        > beards....)they still do. The usual excuse is that if the woman
                                        > wasn't allowed to bring along the modern stroller/pram/buggie for
                                        the
                                        > sprogs, said man would not have been allowed to participate for the
                                        > weekend. "She Who Must Be Obeyed", and all that...
                                        >
                                        > I've learned in this hobby to turn a blind eye to what the ....
                                        > everybody else is doing and, instead, just concentrate on my own
                                        > unit. Frankly, if others outside the group want to deck themselves
                                        > out in muu-muus made of Tim Horton mugs and carry their babies
                                        around
                                        > in modern haybales on garbage can lid wheels, with pizza boxes for
                                        > sunshades, I'm long past caring. My idea of fun at a reenactment is
                                        > not chug-a-lugging Maalox, fuming over somebody else's foibles.
                                        Life
                                        > is too short.
                                        >
                                        > Besides, they wouldn't listen anyway.
                                        >
                                        > RF
                                      • PEGGY MATHEWS
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 2, 2003
                                          Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                          Michael

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                            Richard,

                                            I am perfectly happy to be called a southerner, born here, been here all my
                                            life and despite what the provincials and colonials might think it is still
                                            the Centre of the Universe and the Empire :-)

                                            P**

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                              Well, it would be nice if people did that, indeed. One can only hope
                                              and pray....

                                              RF

                                              Who carries a Tim Horton mug - in his car :^)

                                              Okay having gotten into trouble once this week! What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                              :-) :-)

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@b...>
                                                wrote:

                                                What is a Tim Horton mug?

                                                > :-) :-)

                                                http://www.timhortons.com explains it all. Tim Horton's is Canada's
                                                biggest chain of donut/coffee shops.

                                                Also mentioned in this Canadian comic strip as well:

                                                http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0810.html
                                                http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/archive/01_08/0811.html

                                                RF
                                              • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                  In a message dated 1/3/2003 3:46:18 AM Central Standard Time,
                                                  ciefranche21e@... writes:

                                                  > Aw, you can't be Yorkshireman, I can always understand you perfectly! <VBG>

                                                  Well, there are a few of us that can be understood, Patrick Stewart, Tim
                                                  Dalton, Brian Blessed, then of course there's Sean Bean waiving the flag for
                                                  Sheffield! All of us from the North can do the accent if called upon but it's
                                                  good to keep foreigners (and particularly Southerners) guessing.

                                                • Peter Catley
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                    I understand, I thought it might be one of those funny looking things that
                                                    you can use for drinking coffee in the car (automobile) with a secure lid.
                                                    An American friend gave me one from Dunking Donuts but I've never really
                                                    understood why you'd want to drink coffee on the move, if I need coffee I
                                                    need a stop!

                                                    Must get back to being on topic!

                                                    Cheers now,

                                                    P**

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                      and there was me assuming that it wasn't that I couldn't understand, but
                                                      that they didn't have anything worth listening to :-)

                                                      P**

                                                    • gord_1812 <gord_1812@yahoo.com>
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                        I have an idea.

                                                        Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small spoked
                                                        wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                        cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                        boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                        main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it. What
                                                        do you have? A period Baby on board! :P

                                                        Gord

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 3, 2003
                                                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "gord_1812 <gord_1812@y...>"
                                                          <gord_1812@y...> wrote:
                                                          > I have an idea.
                                                          >
                                                          > Take a modern stroller. Replace the wheels with really small
                                                          spoked
                                                          > wheels. Replace the handle/push arm with two sticks. replace the
                                                          > cover with muslin. Replace The under carrage with two planed
                                                          > boards and run the axels for the wheels through them. Replace the
                                                          > main body/bed with a flat pice of board. Place the baby on it.
                                                          What
                                                          > do you have? A period Baby on board! :P
                                                          >
                                                          > Gord

                                                          Sounds like a song cue for the Be Sharps.... :^)

                                                          Funny enough, the more colorful (read: verisimilitudinally-challenged)
                                                          local minutemen and militia societies who, until the authenticity
                                                          movement swept over them like a prairie fire, participated in the
                                                          Lexington/Concord parades in years past, used to have a large
                                                          contingent of mothers (wives of men at arms) pushing their tots in
                                                          such camouflaged strollers and buggies in company formation in the
                                                          Concord parade. Bloody hilarious. No matter how hard they tried,
                                                          these vehicles still looked like modern baby transport and children's
                                                          wagons. I even recall seeing a yard cart (for garden supplies and
                                                          waste) converted over to some sort of tumbril for toddlers. (I
                                                          wondered which of them was going to the Place de la Revolution for
                                                          summary guillotining... :^) )

                                                          All I could think of when I saw these affairs was: you can't polish a
                                                          .... .

                                                          And there was little basis for common people having such things.

                                                          Simply put, pushcarts and the like would not have been afforded to
                                                          and by the families of soldiers. Any sort of wheeled transport was
                                                          scarce, and would have been requisitioned by the army.

                                                          The concept of children leading a cosseted existence was still pretty
                                                          new in the western world. Most people back then, from early childhood
                                                          on, walked, and led pretty tough lives.

                                                          RF