Re: Frustrations of the public hobbyist...

  • Terry Lubka <tlubka@pathcom.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
      Sara,
      A bit of a catch 22 isn't it? The historic sites need reenactors to
      draw in the public which equals more $ at the gate, and us reenactors
      need historic sites to play in.
      I've been doing this hobby for many years and the vast majority of
      times I've seen reenactors act very well towards the public. I think
      the "vibe" you are picking up here is just that, it's only here and
      not in the public's face.

      Terry

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "secordgrl <plainjane380@h...>"

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
        One final point. I do reenacting for myself not the public. This
        statement can easily be mistaken as a selfish thing but it's not ment
        to be. I do reenacting not to entertain the public. I do it to feed
        my hunger for history. I spend tons of money and time in getting my
        impression right. Yes I'll answer questions of the public. I'll be
        nice as punch but I won't let the public dictate what I am supposed
        to do.

        Terry
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
          Well spoken Sara, Ray, Tracy and Jake!
          I am truly glad that I have a part in the lives of spectators, and repeat visitors as well. This forces me to learn more because Jake always asks me such tough
          questions! Also this keeps many re-enactors on their toes because I am not sure if you all know this or not, but some re-enactors tend to make things up if they don't
          know the answer!! I too have been a spectator before a re-enactor and I find that you get a few who will talk (one private in the 89th will talk for days and days and
          then remember he hasn't eaten, but still find someone else to talk to) and many who don't. You can usually tell hem because they are the ones who don't look a tourist in
          the eye or walk really quickly with their head down etc etc.

          So this year please make an honest effort to stop being the re-enactor who goes on the field and off into the tent, but to be an educator as well.

          Just a thought for 2003.
          If you speak to the public it will either make you look smart or stupid. If you look stupid once it is amazing how quickly you will try to make yourself smarter.

          p.s. the last uniform I made for Jake was faced green! Although last time I marched him around a field it was getting quite small!!

        • Tracy <tracyforsyth@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
            Yes Kevin his green faced uniform you made him is small. He now dons
            a pair of 41st pants weekly during the summer at Fort George (I know
            pants is not the proper word but you all know the white things that
            cover your waist to your feet and botton instead of zip):)So the 41st
            may have a new recruit in about 5 or 6 years.

            Tracy

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@s...>

            .