Welcoming the visitor

  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hi to all,

      I have a somewhat different perspective about this topic than most on
      the list, because I do impressions that involve displaying an aspect of
      the military experience that is different from the fighting elements of
      the Army. As either an Engineer or Surgeon, I have much show and tell
      set out in my camp, as well as a modest officers setup in my small wall
      tent which I keep open for all to see and often invite the ladies to go
      in and look around. Hoping that they will not feel that they have only
      come along to a "battle" to keep their husband/boy friend happy, by
      seeing a field bed, liquor chest, shaving box &c. that might be of more
      interest to them. I answer the same questions over and over quite
      happily, because I enjoy sharing my interests with anyone who is the
      least bit interested.

      Not all people feel as comfortable as I do in talking to the public.
      Many do not keep their tent with only period items showing, and are
      reluctant to go in and out while the public is in the area.

      In many ways I have a great advantage with lots to talk about, a comfort
      about doing the talking, and coming with the expectation that I will
      spend almost all of my time doing just that. Since I seldom have someone
      to fill in more than an occasion visit to the facilities and to get some
      food to bring back, I can't comment on much of what goes on in the
      various camps.

      Mississinewa is the farthest east and north as I usually get and there
      and Prairie du Chien I have found that most of those camped near me seem
      open to visiting and sharing with the visiting public. Even re-enactors
      who like sharing with the public, get involved with conversations among
      themselves and fail to make an effort to talk to visitors passing
      through. It is just human nature which I have been guilty of too. The
      best we can do is to make an effort to be available for the public when
      the are ready for us.

      Boy, am I windy! ;>) Guess you know how I feel anyhow.

      Regards,

      Bob Dorian
      US Engineer & Surgeon
      1/1/2003